PDA

View Full Version : Overheating problem!!

JAK
07-29-2006, 06:52 AM
Hi there everyone,

I am having another problem with my car. It is overheating pretty bad. Within 10mins or so the temp guage will be completely at the red mark with city/freeway driving. But I noticed if I just leave the car to idle from when I start the car it doesn't really heat. I have no idea what the problem can be this time.

I read sometimes it can be the thermostat, waterpump....or just needing to be bleeded properly. However, I do not think there is any air in the system.

I checked the waterpump hose lines and they seem warm. Not sure if thats how you check to see if its working or not...

What can it be?? OR could it be possible that the temp guage is just faulty? I don't think I'm losing any coolant...

THANKS AGAIN!

JAK
07-29-2006, 07:39 AM
I just took another look and I saw that theres some coolant around the radiator leaking very very slightly. What could cause this? Just a faulty radiator or hose?

Morgenster
07-29-2006, 08:03 AM
What's the coolant level?

JAK
07-29-2006, 08:26 AM
it seems to be at normal - it's a very very slow leak that i can see coming in what I think its called...the infamous....the metal radiator tank to some hose/clamp....

Does this mean the radiators gone or somethingelse? And could this also be why my cars overheating??

Morgenster
07-29-2006, 08:54 AM
it seems to be at normal - it's a very very slow leak that i can see coming in what I think its called...the infamous....the metal radiator tank to some hose/clamp....

Does this mean the radiators gone or somethingelse? And could this also be why my cars overheating??

Is it at the low mark when the engine is still hot?

A slow leak does not make a small leak. This could be anything from too much air to clogging or a broken fan clutch or waterpump. Too much air can cause serious pressure/temperature buildup and consequently somewhere a leak will develop. So I'd check with proper filling and bleeding and then carefully test different causes if this doesn't resolve the issue.

I have to warn you though: I'm not a mechanic so you may want to wait for the input from other members.

borderchris
07-29-2006, 12:01 PM
Hi there- first off, if the temp gauge is correct, that's a pretty serious problem, when you consider the fact that your head is aluminum- so don't let it run at all if the temp gets that high, or $$$!

Ideas:

1. If it's not heating up quickly, and later super-heats, your thermostat may have broken off, and parts of it may be blocking your upper coolant channels. Check it immediately- it's easy, just remove the upper radiator hose at the engine fitting, and see if the tstat is in one piece. If so, you may want to replace it anyway if you haven't.

2. Even if the hoses are warm to the waterpump, it may not be functioning efficiently. They're cheap- I would bolt one on.

3. Replace your radiator cap- once again, cheap, but if it's not holding pressure, you'll have issues.

4. Make sure your overflow (5/16th") line isn't plugged- disconnect at radiator when cold, and blow into reservoir. If your getting a lot of resistance (very common) replace it and clean the outlet inside the expansion tank.

5. Lastly, a combination of small leaks can lead to a lot of overheating- and air in the system, potentially. Fix all leaks- this is a very high pressure system.

Oh- and bleed, bleed, bleed after you re-fill.

Good luck

Chris

JAK
07-30-2006, 10:56 PM
Thanks for your input. I will keep posting until we've figured out the problem.

Any idea how much would those things would cost? The waterpump, radiator cap, and thermostat?

borderchris
07-31-2006, 12:43 AM
I'm not sure where you're at, but here in SoCal, a good water pump is about $50 to $60, a radiator cap is $20, and a decent thermostat about $20 to $30. Decent parts can be had from foreign car parts outlets like Worldwide, but if you must, Autozone sells a decent German-made waterpump for like $40.

Based on your statement, however, it looks like you need to really just fix up all of your loose and leaking hoses, and seal off the air inputs to your system. Hence, I would concentrate on a new cap, hose repair or replacement, and most importantly, a good flush and refill with good quality 50/50 mix.

Chris

JAK
08-05-2006, 07:57 AM
Replaced the thermostat, with help from a good friend and neighbor.

It has solved the problem. It's like before now. The car slightly heats up at idle and when it drives it cools back down (we think its the fan clutch).

Thanks everyone