PDA

View Full Version : Peake SRS tool

rob101
07-29-2006, 02:44 AM
Hello, I have a 1992 525i with a drivers side airbag. the airbag light has flashed before and doesn't come on before starting the car. anyway I am thinking of buying a peake SRS diagnosis tool (http://www.peakeresearch.com/srstool.htm) however this tool says that it doesn't work on bmws earlier than 1994. does anyone have experience using this tool or know of an alternative tool that is compatible.

Thanks

BigKriss
07-29-2006, 09:32 AM
I pretty sure Shogun in Japan uses one when he attends meets over there. He would know for sure.

Russell
07-29-2006, 11:20 AM
Take it to a good independent BMW shop for diagnosis before spending money for a tool you may use very little. You may not have working air bag. IMO, an expert should sort that out.

shogun
07-29-2006, 12:29 PM
I have imported this one, and have tested it on a 1992/12 E32 750 iL and it works for airbag reset.
And I have tested it in my 1988/11 E32 750iL for oil/service and annual interval reset, and it works.
Just sold the first 4 sets in Japan. Ordered some more.
http://8810.teacup.com/750hiline/img/bbs/0000364M.jpg

Today I compared the diagnosis box of a E31 850 with an E32 750, pins are different, so it will not work on E31.

Manual:

SIR3 digital...
Reset device for the service interval display and airbag control lamp of
BMW-models 1987-2003

We accept no liability in case of damages suffered through the non-observance of the operating instructions, improper handling, improper use and external influences. The manufacturer is not liable either directly or indirectly for damage which may be caused by the use of this product. We grant 24 months manufacturer’s warranty for this product from date of purchase.

1. Field of Application

Microprocessor monitored, the SIR3 digital ……reset device resets the service interval display (in short SIA) in accordance with the stipulations of the vehicle manufacturer.
In addition, the airbag control lamp can be resetted in the combination instrument using the SIR3 digital…reset device.

2. Introduction

The digital BMW – service reset device communicates with the vehicle electronics. The resetter configures itself automatically to the respective technology of the vehicle.

3. Safety Instructions

When developing the SIR3 digital. reset device special attention was paid to safety operating and simplicity in use. The appliance is resistant to moisture, dirt, various oils and liquids as well as small mechanical jolts.

Never use sharp, pointed objects to press the buttons!

The BOA digital … reset device has left the plant in good working condition in terms of safety and function.
If it can be assumed that it is no longer possible to use the device safely then the appliance is to be put out of operation and sent to the manufacturer in suitable packaging for repair.

4. Resetting the service interval display

Once servicing work on the vehicle has been completed the SIA is to be reset according to the following procedure:

1. Switch on the ignition...
The resetter is first of all plugged into the 20-pole round BMW service socket located in the engine compartment.
2. The green LED flashes.
-> The appliance is automatically carrying out a self-test
3. The green LED is lit constantly
-> If the self-test revealed no faults, the SIR3 digital is ready for operation.
4. Select reset operation Oilservice, Inspection or
For this press the respective buttom until the red LED lights up, then release the buttom.

The rest procedure is completed when the red LED goes out.

5. Remove resetter. Switch off ignition, and ON again.
6. Check whether the resetting process was successfully carried out:

Warning ! do not start engine when resetter is plugged in.

5. Resetting the airbag control lamp

The SIR3 digital... deletes the error memory in the airbag control unit. The control lamp in the combination instrument goes out.

 Resetting procedure is as described under point 4 / Step 1-6
Resetting is actuated by pressing the buttom Airbag

The reset procedure is completed when the red LED goes out.

WARNING! If there is a safety-relevant fault in the airbag system, the airbag control lamp cannot be resetted, or it reappears when the engine is started again.
6. Error messages

1. Red LED flashes before any buttoms where pressed:
-> there is a fault in either the SIR3 or the vehicles data wiring.

2. Red LED flashes after an attempted resetting procedure:
-> communication problem with the vehicle.

7. Maintenance

The SIR3 digital... is absolutely maintenance free. You should however check from time to time the socket contact pins are in good conditions.

8. Technical Data

operating voltage 12 VDC current consumption 30mA
temperature range -10 / +40°C protection class IP67

9. Model Overview

The SIR3 digital reset device functions with all BMW vehicles with a round 20-pole BMW service socket up to year of construction 2003.
Not supported are models with reset via CAN-BUS I

3-series E30 1987 on
3-series E36 1990 - 1999
3-series E46 2000 on

5-series E34 1987 on
5-series E39 1995 on

7-series E32 1987 on
7-series E38 1995-2001

X5 E53 2000 on

Z3
Z8

Sedan, Touring, Convertible, Coupe , M-Tech

The list of models was compiled carefully. We assume no warranty regarding the completeness and accuracy of the contents.

We reserve the right to make technical changes.
©Copyright 2006 V1.0 SIR3BA-VS
---------------------------------------------------------------

PEAKE says clearly:
Our SRS/Airbag tool is not compatible with any BMW built before 1994.

http://www.peakeresearch.com/srstool.htm

So, I am the only one having this one available.
But at present no stock, next order I get is already sold out.

gale
07-29-2006, 05:36 PM
Sorry to get off-topic but just read your "wanted" ad & I'm still ROTFLMAO :D Too funny!!!