PDA

View Full Version : This is why I hate letting other people use my car.

Dan-ny-m398
07-28-2006, 05:11 PM
My sister's car broke down and since I don't drive my e34 that much, my sis asked me to use the car, then after 3-4 days of not seing my car she comes today with my Racing Dynamics bumper in the trunk, I'm like WTF, and the car is all dirty too, and to top it all off she tells me that the car looks much better without it anyways. also I never got a chance to take some good pictures of the car with it.

Bimminator
07-28-2006, 05:24 PM
My sister's car broke down and since I don't drive my e34 that much, my sis asked me to use the car, then after 3-4 days of not seing my car she comes today with my Racing Dynamics bumper in the trunk, I'm like WTF, and the car is all dirty too, and to top it all off she tells me that the car looks much better without it anyways. also I never got a chance to take some good pictures of the car with it.
That really sucks. Pretty inconsiderate on her part. This may work out in your favour though, she will not likely have the nerve to ask you for anymore fovours. Unless of course she is a spoiled little bitch who believes everyone is obligated to give her what ever she wants. Personally, if it were me I would buy a new one and give her the bill!

Good luck!

Shawn

Qube
07-28-2006, 05:42 PM
So she went off-road with it...

NY535iManual
07-28-2006, 05:47 PM
Wait, is your bumper BROKEN IN HALF??!! WTF?! How does that even happen? I would be pretty pissed.

Nick.Hay
07-28-2006, 05:52 PM
Oh man...

Not cool Bro.

Never lend your woman, your tools or your car... They'll all come back to you ****ed!!

Paul in NZ
07-28-2006, 06:01 PM
would be good to hear what happened.You better check for other damage.She must have backed into /onto something,hooked the bumper and then driven off?

Cactuar
07-28-2006, 06:01 PM
wtf man... I would NOT be happy if that happened to me.

*SLAP*

Evan
07-28-2006, 06:09 PM
it's your sister, dude... big ****ing deal. if it was your brother or a friend i'd encourage you to punch them in the mouth... but sisters can do no wrong

Michael999
07-28-2006, 06:39 PM
at least she actually put it in the trunk instead of just leaving it wrapped around the cyclist that she ran over...

Yiorgos
07-28-2006, 07:06 PM
That's gotta suck dude.

Just unbolt her front bumper, duct tape it to her boot lid and say it looks better that way. Maybe in your state front licence plates aren't required?

BTW, I laid down the law when it came to my car and my family. Only my father is allowed to drive my car, and even then he is only allowed to drive it down my driveway and onto the street, which can only be executed if and when someone's car parked in the garage and needs to get out.

I remember during the first week after buying my E34, I woke up one morning to gaze at it from the front window and saw it gone. The thoughts and rage running through my head was unbelieveable. 45 minutes later my dad came back with the car and said that he went to go wash it. That's when I laid down the law (to my own dad who I respect!) and said under no circumstances does ANYONE touch my car. If there was ANY need to use my car, permission first (and even then I would say no!)

I figured that since when I was younger and didn't have a car and wanted to drive my dad's, that I always asked for permission, the same rule should apply the other way around.

Sorry to bring this thread a little off-topic! Sorry to hear about your bumper dude, that's pretty bad news :(

Dan-ny-m398
07-28-2006, 07:12 PM
This is what it use to look like before. I'll see if I can fix it with some fiberglass or, I might get a new one but this time I'll get and M5 oem bumper.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/244000-244999/244870_183_full.jpg

Alexlind123
07-28-2006, 07:20 PM
This is what it use to look like before. I'll see if I can fix it with some fiberglass or, I might get a new one but this time I'll get and M5 oem bumper.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/244000-244999/244870_183_full.jpg

I have been looking for a suitable front spoiler for some time now. This one strikes me as being one of the more subtle that i have seen. How much did it set you back?

Dan-ny-m398
07-28-2006, 07:36 PM
I just wanted to slap her when she said why would you even add that to the car, the damn thing is too low like that. She said she'll pay for a new one jajaa yeah right but we'll see, either way if I cant fix It I will go for a different one I had too many issues with RD, It is expensive and even though I payed extra for delivery it took over 2 months for me to get it.

Dan-ny-m398
07-28-2006, 07:39 PM
I have been looking for a suitable front spoiler for some time now. This one strikes me as being one of the more subtle that i have seen. How much did it set you back?

It was just under 1k for the 3 pieces, but I payed close to 200$ for shipping, it was supposed to be 3 day delivery jajajaj. it took over 2 month to get it.

Eric Clark
07-28-2006, 07:59 PM
That's gotta suck dude.

Just unbolt her front bumper, duct tape it to her boot lid and say it looks better that way. Maybe in your state front licence plates aren't required?

BTW, I laid down the law when it came to my car and my family. Only my father is allowed to drive my car, and even then he is only allowed to drive it down my driveway and onto the street, which can only be executed if and when someone's car parked in the garage and needs to get out.

I remember during the first week after buying my E34, I woke up one morning to gaze at it from the front window and saw it gone. The thoughts and rage running through my head was unbelieveable. 45 minutes later my dad came back with the car and said that he went to go wash it. That's when I laid down the law (to my own dad who I respect!) and said under no circumstances does ANYONE touch my car. If there was ANY need to use my car, permission first (and even then I would say no!)

I figured that since when I was younger and didn't have a car and wanted to drive my dad's, that I always asked for permission, the same rule should apply the other way around.

Sorry to bring this thread a little off-topic! Sorry to hear about your bumper dude, that's pretty bad news :(

Dude you only have one family. Cars are much cheaper to replace then people.

Evan
07-28-2006, 08:26 PM
sa de ntrepesai ligo... ntropi

Dan-ny-m398
07-28-2006, 08:29 PM
say what??

ThoreauHD
07-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Something about gerbils and eating your parents..

rob101
07-28-2006, 08:46 PM
It was just under 1k for the 3 pieces, but I payed close to 200$ for shipping, it was supposed to be 3 day delivery jajajaj. it took over 2 month to get it.
give your sister the bill, otherwise she can walk next time her POS breaks down. I think its a bit slack when people in your family show that much disrespect for your stuff when you are trying to be helpful. she betrayed your trust, its not like she hit a deer or something sounds like she was doing something f-ing stupid as she didn't even give a reason apart from the blaming the spoiler.

Yiorgos
07-28-2006, 08:57 PM
Dude you only have one family. Cars are much cheaper to replace then people.

Fair call for someone who doesn't live in the same house that I do. My family is pretty much a group of people living under the one house anyway -- the rest of my family (mum, dad, 2 sisters) pretty much treat me the same way that I treat them, I could go into more detail but don't want to take this thread off-topic.

By the way for those who don't know, Evan is speaking Greek to me, a loose translation is something along the lines of "aren't you embarrassed" or something.

There's nothing to be embarrassed about, yes I have a Greek background but my family is in no way like how My Big Fat Greek Wedding was portrayed ;) My dad kicked the **** out of me when I was 16 and took the car for a spin without him knowing, after that whenever I needed the car to go somewhere I always asked for permission, the reason for the car, when I will be using it and when it will be back on the driveway, and when the car came back the keys were neatly placed on the kitchen bench and the money for the petrol used was next to it.

I politely but firmly told him when he did the same to "wash" my car without me knowing 8 years later that I would deeply appreciate that if he did need to move my car or take it somewhere to at least tell me beforehand. Perhaps "laying down the law" was too harsh of a phrase to use, I firmly asked him that I would appreciate if he told me what he was doing with my car beforehand. I didn't ask him jovially, but I didn't raise my voice either (which definitely would've been something to have ntropi over).

I felt that I needed to let my family know that they can't just take the keys to my car and do whatever they please with it (which is probably what they thought when I first got my car), especially since now I am a web consultant working from home, and there are many times where I have to drop everything and travel to the other side of the city to meet a client and assist them. It would be very hard for me to do that (and make my business look bad) if someone had taken my car beforehand and basically stuffed around with it to their leisure, without me knowing.

mistermofo
07-28-2006, 10:02 PM
think yourself lucky a mate borrowed my car and come back witha siezed engine thanks to a hole in the sump he "didnt notice" that he hit something and ripped a hole in my sump

hole in sump = oil leak
big hole in sump = big oil leak - siezed engine about 3 miles pu the road

as i say you lucky

CharlesAFerg
07-29-2006, 03:18 AM
I think the "taping the bumper to her boot" idea and saying it looks better there is the best. Comical and it gets the message across.

Oh, and don't forge to bill her for the bumper. I wouldn't care if she told me what happened, even if she wasn't apologetic ebcause she was obviously embarrassed. But the fac that she didn't evn tell you and left the car dirty is retarded. I'd definately check for further damage and maybe even kick in her front bumper before duct-taping it to her trunk-lid.

:D

I have family that borrows my car, I should know.

I no longer have an E-brake because of my mom and sister.
Liuterally, it doesn't do anything even at 40MPH.

..it used to.
-Charles

Gayle
07-29-2006, 08:49 AM

I am with you. My husband is not even authorized to move my car out of the driveway, cuz he will mess up my rims parking it across the street. He is not authorized to park under any circumstances even with me in the car. I do let him drive it on long trips, but I have to interject comments every once and a while like "you might want to shift now."

No one is happy to get their car back trashed. My boss just cracked me up on this issue. He had a little mishap backing up a long driveway in his wife's suburban. He went straight to the body shop and left it. Came home with a rental car for her. He did not even want her to see the damage. He has been married 35 years and wants to stay married.

rob101
07-29-2006, 09:28 AM
I am with you. My husband is not even authorized to move my car out of the driveway, cuz he will mess up my rims parking it across the street. He is not authorized to park under any circumstances even with me in the car. I do let him drive it on long trips, but I have to interject comments every once and a while like "you might want to shift now."

No one is happy to get their car back trashed. My boss just cracked me up on this issue. He had a little mishap backing up a long driveway in his wife's suburban. He went straight to the body shop and left it. Came home with a rental car for her. He did not even want her to see the damage. He has been married 35 years and wants to stay married.
"you might want to shift now" lol. I have a mate who is very anal about letting people have a drive in his car, its kind of gay. I don't mind letting people have a try of mine once i've ironed a couple of things out. but lending it is another problem. i backed a ex-gf's car into a pole one night (i was tired) i learnt NEVER use your woman's car. and especially don't tell them that you tried a hand brake turn in it (hey i was a teenager)

Evan
07-29-2006, 04:42 PM
i wrecked my brother's brand new car when i was 18.. he didn't say one bad word to me... my father is a militant maniac like yours... raised during the nazi occupation of athens during WWII... he was 16 when the Germans came... that should give you a clear picture of how I was raised...

your car and biz are important... your sister is more important.. and a piece of glass bumper is nothing

SharkmanBMW
07-29-2006, 04:53 PM
I would be pretty insulted by the behaviour you described.

The dirt, and the comment about it looks better that way... sounds extremely disrespectful. Not to mention the damage itself.

If she does that to you now, what will she do in the future?
Time for a sit-down.

I have borrowed a lot of nice cars, really nice cars, and sometimes I just can't help "testing" them... it has been close a few times!

Based on that, I do not let people drive my car:p
unless my left leg breaks, that won't change.

It isn't my friends I don't trust, it is the bunch of *******s on the road:D

Paul in NZ
07-29-2006, 05:01 PM
your car and biz are important... your sister is more important.. and a piece of glass bumper is nothing

I dont agree,the least she could have done was explain,apologize and offer to help.I suppose she will be surprised if she cant borrow tthe car again

Dan-ny-m398
07-29-2006, 06:00 PM
well she said she is going to pay for it, and we have a somewhat special relationship, I will just keep bringing it up for the next 20+ years or so jejej, she sid apologize but she said it looks better now anyways, but looking it in the bright side, it could have been worse it could have been my brother, last time I let him use my M3 he brought it back like this.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/244000-244999/244870_8_full.jpghttp://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/244000-244999/244870_10_full.jpg

pundit
07-29-2006, 07:36 PM
I had an ex flatmate 'borrow' my Fiat 124 Sports at 3AM in the morning.
I was asleep, he didn't either ask, or told me afterwards he had taken my car for a joyride, smashed it, and returned it.

He had been washing down valium with bourbon.
The rear end was smashed and the fuel tank was stoved in.
When I challenged him about it, he first denied it, but I found an empty bourbon bottle under the seat and his wallet on the floor.

He finally admitted to borrowing the car to go and buy a packet of cigarettes just around the corner.
The problem was I had reset the trip meter the night before and there was now 120kms on it.
He said he didn't have accident and never admitted to causing the damage.
Two days later I came home and he had moved out without notice leaving me with his share of the bills to pay.

Insurance wouldn't cover the damage as he was not a nominated driver and I would have had to reported the car stolen (which I didn't) and have him charged by the police.
In hindsight I should have!!

Paul in NZ
07-29-2006, 07:49 PM
with mates like that.......

Atl530i
07-29-2006, 09:04 PM
Okay, this is why I'm the only person driving my car. If it meant getting into an argument about it, oh well for the other person because they are still not driving my car. I've already lost one car because of letting someone drive it.

SharkmanBMW
07-29-2006, 09:09 PM
well she said she is going to pay for it, and we have a somewhat special relationship, I will just keep bringing it up for the next 20+ years or so jejej, she sid apologize but she said it looks better now anyways, but looking it in the bright side, it could have been worse it could have been my brother, last time I let him use my M3 he brought it back like this.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/244000-244999/244870_8_full.jpghttp://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/244000-244999/244870_10_full.jpg

ouch in a huge way!
with family like that I would buy a scooter - just in case they scrap it again! lol

nice M, sorry to see it like that.

Dan-ny-m398
07-29-2006, 09:21 PM
With the M3, I was the one that borrowed his SUV, since it was snowing and I had to go somewher, plus my brother got hurt pretty bad in that accident so I had no time to be mad, and he payed for all the reapairs.

SnakeyesTx
07-29-2006, 09:22 PM
So.... what did she back in to? Also...are those Corvette wheels?

e34525inewbie
07-29-2006, 09:33 PM
that sucks, but you still got a nice car. i need to still buy an e34, and i hav 2 years left to do that in. im 14, and i own an e28 but i dont want it anymore,because the problems my dad is having with his e28. his e28 is in mint condition, but it has had ALOT of problems. i hav about $240 into the car already, but the real problem is that i dont have a job. im gonna try to get a job at a guitar shop next summer

e34525inewbie
07-29-2006, 09:34 PM
thats a beautiful car. i want the one im savin for to look like that but just black

e34525inewbie
07-29-2006, 09:35 PM
female driver is the answer to that question =)

Dan-ny-m398
07-29-2006, 10:05 PM
So.... what did she back in to? Also...are those Corvette wheels?

No they are not Corvette wheels, they are 18x8 Voxx wheels, they are pretty strong I had them for over 2 years now and no bends or cracks, and I drive in NYC a lot.

Dan-ny-m398
07-29-2006, 10:08 PM
thats a beautiful car. i want the one im savin for to look like that but just black

The one in my sig, is a black one.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=16619

JohnC
07-29-2006, 11:49 PM
sucks but sisters shouldnt be allowed to borrow cars.

atleast she apologized. i have a younger sister with no respect for anything. well what can you say about an 18 year old that has only worked 3 days or so in her life, yet has about 20 pairs of 200 dollar jeans. ive been working since i was 15 so thats 8 years now and i purchased my own car an e30. i dont want to burden my parents with buying her a car so i let her use the e34, which was handed down to me from my mom.

well she doesnt care about anything so when i got the car back it was trashed.

the retractable buttons on the cd deck was stuck open; i heard it was because it moved too slow so she pulled it out by hand.

there was chewing gum on the seats, even 2 year olds know to wrap up old gum and throw it away.

slams the door open into the side of the garage, blamed the garage for not being bigger.

slams the door for the clothes dryer into the bumper, blamed the car for being too close for her to open the dryer door all the way.

and she put a huge dent in the fender, and she hit it into our truck that was brand new.

plus ever days she calls the car a piece of crap and how ugly and old it is. she should walk then because before she had it the car was in great condition, i have clear hellas all around, euro ellips, t-stars and paint that was cleaner than my moms 3 year old garaged car.

SharkmanBMW
07-30-2006, 12:12 AM

atleast she apologized. i have a younger sister with no respect for anything. well what can you say about an 18 year old that has only worked 3 days or so in her life, yet has about 20 pairs of 200 dollar jeans. ive been working since i was 15 so thats 8 years now and i purchased my own car an e30. i dont want to burden my parents with buying her a car so i let her use the e34, which was handed down to me from my mom.

the retractable buttons on the cd deck was stuck open; i heard it was because it moved too slow so she pulled it out by hand.

there was chewing gum on the seats, even 2 year olds know to wrap up old gum and throw it away.

slams the door open into the side of the garage, blamed the garage for not being bigger.

slams the door for the clothes dryer into the bumper, blamed the car for being too close for her to open the dryer door all the way.

and she put a huge dent in the fender, and she hit it into our truck that was brand new.

plus ever days she calls the car a piece of crap and how ugly and old it is. she should walk then because before she had it the car was in great condition, i have clear hellas all around, euro ellips, t-stars and paint that was cleaner than my moms 3 year old garaged car.

poison her food slowly:p

Alexlind123
07-30-2006, 12:13 AM

I know exactly what i would do in a situation like that. Move out.

genphreak
07-30-2006, 01:23 AM
i wrecked my brother's brand new car when i was 18.. he didn't say one bad word to me... my father is a militant maniac like yours... raised during the nazi occupation of athens during WWII... he was 16 when the Germans came... that should give you a clear picture of how I was raised...

your car and biz are important... your sister is more important.. and a piece of glass bumper is nothingGuys, your Dad's might be a bit freako but its not so much a Greek issue. This happens in every family. Though I know for many of us immigrants in Oz the car is second only to the family castle, so the kids have to be aware that it is a rite of passage, a test of adulthood and ability to manage with 'serious' responsibility.

However nothig we have developed within our social training counters how we grow up these days: The fact is that 6 year olds have already learnt a whole different approach before we have started on them about safety, care and responsbility. Thanks to creations like Need for Speed and other virtual and commercial influences they are really into the practicalities of how dangerous or costly 'simple' mistakes can be.

Sisters on the other hand, whilst they are affected by the above issues too, tend to operate any vehicle- their's or other people's, with little real concern or understanding of its capabilities. I can imagine this scenario, and her not perhaps understanding why she couldn't traverse a speed hump at the same speed as other cars (in other words double what the sign says) as she was never interested (would never have given it a second thought even) in how well it goes around a racetrack or retains handling at speed. Given that most of us don't really have much need for these things anyway, I'd hazzard to say we (mostly) have our cars far too low for how we use use them.

Low cars can be painful to drive, costly to repair the various tips, lips and bottoms of (cats, mufflers, air dams you name it a lot is at risk). Perhaps the girl really needed to know whe had to be far more careful, however in reality there is no way she could drive a car like this and avoid the things we barely give a second thought to...

I like the idea of never having others drive my car but it has never worked out for me and I hate saying no at the best of times: So I've leanrt not to do too many bad things to the car so it remains managable by my maniac relos (ie related family members). This has the bonus of keeping me out of harms way sometimes too.

Good luck with the fix, perhaps you should make your own mold up and sell the things to other board members that have as much fun having them torn off.. :) Nick

Yiorgos
07-30-2006, 01:28 AM
Well written Nick.

rob101
07-30-2006, 04:20 AM
Sisters on the other hand, whilst they are affected by the above issues too, tend to operate any vehicle- their's or other people's, with little real concern or understanding of its capabilities. I can imagine this scenario, and her not perhaps understanding why she couldn't traverse a speed hump at the same speed as other cars (in other words double what the sign says) as she was never interested (would never have given it a second thought even) in how well it goes around a racetrack or retains handling at speed. Given that most of us don't really have much need for these things anyway, I'd hazzard to say we (mostly) have our cars far too low for how we use use them.

I'd trust my sister to drive my cat she drives fairly conservatively, she wouldn't break off a spoiler and just say "yeah it broke cya" either.
neither would she accept the same from me. i think its a two way street really. I was a bit worried my father would abuse my e28 that he pretty much exclusively drives (believe me i saved him from a much worse fate he was driving an clapped out hyundai) but he seems to respect it, he did crease the bumper a bit but he was sorry that he did it. which is enough for me, (as an e28 has a REAL bumper its not really an issue, he certainly didn't break it in two pieces.)

filip00
07-31-2006, 07:20 PM
2 johnC - that girl needs a few bitchslaps, then some lessons about EARNING and being THANKFUL. damn!!

2 yiorgos - i sooo understand you. this is the reason why keys to my car are only with me. no one has them, and no one will. i hate it when somebody drives my car....it's my baby!

yaofeng
07-31-2006, 07:26 PM

I don't have a problem with other people using my cars. I do have a problem with other people taking car of my cars. You can drive it. But let me know the problem so I can fix it.