PDA

View Full Version : Want to supercharge my e34 540/6

540ii
07-27-2006, 07:32 PM
I have a 1995 540i/6 speed with about 100 000 miles. I'm not sure if its Nikasil or Alusil but it runs smooth and strong with a decent idle. However, the lifters do get noisy about six weeks after an oil change (I think its dripping from the rear main seal) and burning about half a litre every two-three weeks. Other then that the car is pretty solid.

Would I be risking my cars engine/drivetrain by installing a supercharger?
How much more power could I expect?
Any rough estimate what my 0-60/ 1/4 mile time would be (currently 0-60 is about 6s)?
How much would a job like this cost (parts and labour) ?
Does anybody know any shops that do this kind of work in the Toronto area?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Qube
07-27-2006, 08:05 PM
Give Bruno a shout and see what he says... racingking.ca... then let us know here :)

BillionPa
07-27-2006, 09:27 PM
its about $6500 parts for a good system, and 11 hours labor if you do it yourself and have proper tools. you will gain a good 100 HP at the wheels easy. 0-60 will be under 5s. if you are installing a supercharger it would be "smart" to change all the ignition coils and spark plugs, and engine performance sensors (O2, air intake temp, crank position, TPS, MAF) but not required. also do valve cover gaskets, and make damn sure your oil pump is in proper working order, and you have new trans and engine mounts.

since you have a manual, i would only worry about the clutch, but you should be ok drivetrain wise....