PDA

View Full Version : E34: headlight auto off?

rickm
07-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Long time no see.

I got my E34 back and am using it for around town stuff (the state bought me a car for work). One thing that has always irked me was that the E34 headlights won't turn off when I turn the car off. My Volvo did it and the wife's Honda does it also.

Is there a way to rig these so they'll go off with I turn the vehicle off? The lights will go off and leave the running lights on but I'd like for them to go totally off.

Alexlind123
07-27-2006, 06:56 PM
Why?

rickm
07-27-2006, 07:05 PM
Why not? :) Lots of cars turn auto turn the lights off.

ryan roopnarine
07-27-2006, 07:17 PM
oh wow. i thought you had sold your car and bought a mini cooper in september.

rickm
07-27-2006, 07:26 PM
I did. I missed the 5 on long trips, the Mini is ok but it's nothing like the E34. Carrying a bike and 3 surfboards on the roof of a Mini is, well, interesting.

Cactuar
07-27-2006, 07:32 PM
eh? your lights should go off when you turn off the car. Mine do it, and I don't think I have any special rig going on...

Unless you meant something else. I probably misread or something, your post sounds suspiciously simple...

wjbell
07-27-2006, 08:08 PM
I think he meant he turns the car off with the headlights on, the headlights themselve shut down, but the running lights stay on. What he wants is the running lights to go off also.

It would be cool to have it set up like newer cars. If the headlights are on, you shut off your car and the headlights and running lights stay on for 10 or so seconds then shut off.

I'm sure it can be done by someone electrically inclined and a little creative wiring.

saj3n
07-27-2006, 08:17 PM
Guess this could be done hooking the headlights up to the same relay for the interior dome lights. Maybe?

rickm
07-27-2006, 09:00 PM
I think he meant he turns the car off with the headlights on, the headlights themselve shut down, but the running lights stay on. What he wants is the running lights to go off also.

Bingo! I'll putz around with the wiring, maybe the relays are behind this.

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-27-2006, 09:04 PM
would not be happy.

You may need to start from the dash swtich and look at the wiring there first

Nick.Hay
07-27-2006, 09:17 PM
Also, just make it interesting Rick...

Set it up in such a way that if at anystage you need to use the 'corner marker' feature, you can still do it.

Know what I mean?? Corner Marker feature is where you push the indicator stalk further than it needs to go to work the flashers, and it switches on the corresponding side 'running lights', most Euro cars have this feature, and I've been known to use it in the past, as some of the streets down here are pretty narrow...

I'd like the auto-off-headlights to include the "park" or "running" or "city" lights auto off too, however I'd prefer not to lose the 'corner marker' feature as a sacrifice...

Any auto-electrical whizzes out there: Here is your challenge!!!

ILoveMPower
07-27-2006, 09:33 PM
My 1990 535iM does NOT turn the lights off when you turn the engine off.

My dad's 1991 M5 DOES turn the lights off when you kill the engine.

I think its related to build time

Ross
07-28-2006, 08:50 AM
Fuses 4 & 5 in the front box are for those lights and are always hot, supplied by red wires inside the fuse box. By cutting the red wires and using a (probably violet) source that is hot only in pos. 1 & 2 you can accomplish your goal. Be careful not to connect to the load side of another circuit.

Espen
07-28-2006, 09:42 AM
Why not wire up a DLR system? So that lights turn on when engine is running, and shut down when you stop it?

shanek
07-28-2006, 08:18 PM
Mine shut of when I turn off the car. I think its because its Canadian spec. I remember reading something about that before.

Paul in NZ
07-29-2006, 05:14 PM
you need to keep the ability to leave the parking(marker) lights on.for the record my 12 89 build euro 535 kill the headlights when you turn the key off (and the light switch is left on)the fron and rar parking lights stay on.I wouldnt mind a warning to remind me......ding.......<<lights on>>

F4Phantom
07-30-2006, 01:02 AM
the first car I knew had this was my subaru. It really is an awesome feature. Instead of staying on or even making a noise as suggested, its the logic of, just get the damn job done and turn em off! its excellent. The thing is with the subaru when the lights are off and the key is out, you can easily just turn them on again by manually switching the lights off and on again, so you have the best of both, if you really want the lights on while the car is off you can. So I recon I could figure out how to auto kill the lights without too much trouble, but I cant see an easy way of making a curcuit to do this other function that without thinking too hard could be needed.

Alexlind123
07-30-2006, 02:04 AM
When i shut my car off, the corner lights stay on while the headlights shut off. If i open my door with the corner lights sitll on, it dings and a message saying "Light on?" appears ont he dashboard.

Omega
07-31-2006, 02:31 AM
I'm sure it can be done by someone electrically inclined and a little creative wiring.

There is a system already in place. Turn off the engine and move the light switch to the "off" position. Works every time. :p