PDA

View Full Version : caliper rebuild?

kyleN20
07-27-2006, 01:35 PM
i just tore the front end of my car off, (not for real) im doing breaks and thrust arms (lemfoder) with 750il bushings. ordered the stuff from BMA, it was very prompt for free shipping, i was suprised. anyways, on my front right caliper somehow the boot tore on the piston, then i let it sit for a week or so and it rusted on like half of the piston, anyways so i was going to just buy a caliper, it was like 40-50 for a rebuild, but then i looked and it had a core charge so i decided rather then get myself 100 dollars in i would just try to rebuild the caliper. how much trouble am i in for? any suggestions? e34.net has nothing for this, also while i have this thing apart is there anything else you think i should take care of? i def have the 55 shimmy, and its bad under breaking but i attribute the to terrible break, (both the caliper and in turn the rotor, and also the thrust arms. last question i will sneak in under my caliper rebuild thread, what about sway bar links, i noticed that my boots are torn, is this going to affect driveabalitY?

thanks a ton

kyle

RobPatt
07-27-2006, 03:08 PM
....once the rust sets in unless you can clean it w/a brass brush or something.... the (new) boot (from a rebuild kit) may not seal, thus fluid leak...etc etc....

rebuild kit from BMA is pretty cheap though... there are sites to tell how...can't think of any off top of my head... good luck.

632 Regal
07-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Brakes Brakes Brakes Brakes

sway links should be replaced, when they get play you will have a new little clunking friend. I agree with the other post about cleaning the rust, if it comes off easy your okay.

Ross
07-27-2006, 03:46 PM
Being the cheap screw that I am I've rebuilt a number of calipers and wheel cylinders(remember those). Anything more than a LIGHT rust is going to leak with a home hone job.
It's a messy job, if quality remans are available go that way. That's my advice.

kyleN20
07-27-2006, 04:03 PM
whats about sand blasting? the piston i mean

Ross
07-27-2006, 04:10 PM
Just buy a caliper and save yourself a big PITA

632 Regal
07-27-2006, 04:36 PM
that will cause serious pits! The caliper pistons are highly polished.
whats about sand blasting? the piston i mean

MBXB
07-27-2006, 05:16 PM
You can get rebuild OEM calipers pretty cheap; less hassle than rebuilding IMHO

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-27-2006, 08:28 PM
You'd think the pistons would be plated with cadium or something.

I'd replace the calipers. Rusty piston doesn't sound right.

Airborne001
07-28-2006, 05:28 AM
Not to highjack this thread, but since we are on the subject, does anyone know a good way to reduce caliper rattle when going over small bumps?

My psg. side rear wheel has the same rattle that my old 325 had, and it's getting on my nerves.

I am no mechanic, just curious if I can do this in the driveway or if it is something I need a shop to look at.

joshua43214
07-28-2006, 05:50 AM
If you can remove the rust with a brass brush, you can rebuild them. if there is any pitting behind where the seal is, it needs to be replaced.

make sure the bleeder opens before you start, it would suck to rebuild the caliper only to break off the bleeder trying to bleed it.

632 Regal
07-28-2006, 09:05 AM
is it missing the anti rattle spring?

Not to highjack this thread, but since we are on the subject, does anyone know a good way to reduce caliper rattle when going over small bumps?

My psg. side rear wheel has the same rattle that my old 325 had, and it's getting on my nerves.

I am no mechanic, just curious if I can do this in the driveway or if it is something I need a shop to look at.

cmk
07-28-2006, 01:41 PM
Check out:
http://bmwe32.masscom.net/
Goto: Brakes / Brake Caliper Rebuild