PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof Seal Paranoia

SnakeyesTx
07-27-2006, 01:28 AM
This is my 4th car with a moonroof (sunroof is the one with the glass right?) and lately its been raining here a lot. Being 11 years old, the rubber sunroof seal is starting to look a little aged, and I thought I'd nip this in the bud before having any potential leaks. I could go with the original replacement but was wondering if there was any aftermarket urethane seals out there instead? Everything I've ever replaced with urethane (be it bushings or seals) have always been good as gold afterwards and although its a more rigid material, I like how durable and how much more resistant it is to the elements; this goes without saying I've never thought of using it as a weather-stripping device.

shogun
07-27-2006, 01:50 AM
(sunroof is the one with the glass right?)

I think it is the other way round, sunroof is without glass. Moonroof is with glass.
But I could be wrong.

Some comments to the gasket:
from the technical viewpoint it's only reason is to reduce the wind noise while driving with closed sunroof, it is NOT there to seal the sunroof from water.
The sunroof has drain hoses and that is very important that these are clean and not blocked.
Pour in some water into the area where the drain holes are and see if it comes out under the car. In case of my E32 they go in front thru the A-pillar into the space under the doors, and from there it runs thru the slots to the floor. The hose ends shortly after the speakers in the footwell.
The ones on the rear go to the C-pillar and then down.

filip00
07-27-2006, 05:26 AM
an old proverb says - if it ain't broke', don't fix it :)

so i suggest if your sunroof isn't leaking, don't do anything. i had an '88. 320i e30, with sunroof, everything was factory stock on it, and it never EVER leaked. so if it works fine, don't mess with it.

joshua43214
07-27-2006, 05:37 AM
sunroof is solid, moonroof is glass.

as Shogun stated, the seal is only for wind not water.

TC535i
07-27-2006, 12:01 PM
You have a sunroof, moonroof has glass... they actually made some for the E34, but VERY rare. I had a 98 Accord once... only think I liked on the damn car was that it had a moonroof.

Wish I had one... they're awesome.

e34benja
08-13-2006, 10:33 PM
My 2¢, don't touch it if it is not broken.* I took mine to a shop and they cracked it while trying to re-glue the seal.* They could not get a new seal since it is so rare.* Now they have been looking for 3 months for a replacement.* Big bummer. :(

I'm just glad that they broke it and not me.*;)

Good luck.

This is my 4th car with a moonroof (sunroof is the one with the glass right?) and lately its been raining here a lot. Being 11 years old, the rubber sunroof seal is starting to look a little aged, and I thought I'd nip this in the bud before having any potential leaks. I could go with the original replacement but was wondering if there was any aftermarket urethane seals out there instead? Everything I've ever replaced with urethane (be it bushings or seals) have always been good as gold afterwards and although its a more rigid material, I like how durable and how much more resistant it is to the elements; this goes without saying I've never thought of using it as a weather-stripping device.

http://homepage.mac.com/hanesfamily/530i/Sites-Thumbnails/0.jpg

granit_silber
08-14-2006, 09:53 AM
Shogun's right.
I used vinyl coated braided cable with the ends covered in electrical tape to clear the holes. The front two run down the a-pillar and drain just behind the front wheels. The back two run thru the c-pillar and into the rocker panels at the bottom of the rear doors and drain just in front of the rear wheels. If the rears get clogged, the water fills the tube and runs into the trunk.

You can get pictures and removal instructions (for the sunroof) from Bruno's site. www.bmwe34.net

EDIT: once at the site goto Maintaince > Body > Sunroof Repairs

-ashley