PDA

View Full Version : My turbo manifold done - best method for removing/saving exhaust manifolds?

Jon K
07-26-2006, 09:02 PM
I need to remove stock manifolds from my M50 motor but I need to be able to put them back on once I am done test fitting my turbo manifold with up pipe. Do I PB blast them and hope I don't break a stud? What's the p/n for new studs and nuts? What do you guys suggest?

http://e34.digital7.com/MotorBuild/up2.jpg

http://e34.digital7.com/MotorBuild/up3.jpg

Alexlind123
07-26-2006, 11:48 PM
I suggest you dont take such crappy pictures so we can actually see your shiney engine.

TC535i
07-26-2006, 11:54 PM
Is that the ebay header?

rob101
07-27-2006, 01:03 AM
http://e34.digital7.com/MotorBuild/up3.jpg
take it from an aussie
foster's is crap beer.
i got half of mine out without snapping any, so i should expect you'll be okay.

SnakeyesTx
07-27-2006, 01:31 AM
Aren't you a little concerned with the heat that turbo is gonna build up melting those pretty plastic covers on the top of the motor?

genphreak
07-27-2006, 05:09 AM
Aren't you a little concerned with the heat that turbo is gonna build up melting those pretty plastic covers on the top of the motor?Its gonna be a hole in the bonnet job me thinks... air flow will be required for that 'moefo'(of a)'toebo'. :D Jon re the studs, maybe you will need hardened ones to avoid blowing the manifold clean off the block...

rob101
07-27-2006, 05:24 AM
Its gonna be a hole in the bonnet job me thinks... air flow will be required for that 'moefo'(of a)'toebo'. :D Jon re the studs, maybe you will need hardened ones to avoid blowing the manifold clean off the block...
NACA duct is all I have to say.

genphreak
07-27-2006, 06:21 AM
NACA duct is all I have to say.Hmm... or a few?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/de/NACA_submerged_inlets.JPG

I dunno mate, might need a fan for traffic management...

Booster
07-27-2006, 12:53 PM
Jon.......you know the drill, soak good overnight...maybe two. Then hit them with an Acetelene torch for a minute and then use an air wrench to vibrate off any remaining rust dust.
Better to find out which ones are weak now rather than laters man !:(
I have that same mainifold mocked up.( minus your up pipe) .....was there no way to install it flange forward and make a smaller shorter adapter ?? At a quick glance , thats what I had invisioned.Is your Holset compressor house THAT much bigger than aT/4 comp. house ??
It must be. BTW......how'd you come out regarding the IC install ?
..............V':)

Booster
07-28-2006, 01:03 PM
Ok.........now that I've read back through Jon's webpage, I answered all of the above Q's. Thanks Jon.:)
Looks great ! WIth all of the bits your gathering and all of the extras for the MS tune, I'd say your right on track for a great driving T5-er.
Watching with anticipation as I'll be doing the same as time pemits.Your making my life in this project MUCH easier, so thanks for paving the way son.:D
Cheers to Jon...............V'

nizmainiac
07-28-2006, 02:05 PM
wind two nuts together on the studs , make sure that they're really tight against each other , ideally you need the hex on the nuts to match , then put a spanner over both of them and undo , then to get the nuts apart use two spanners against each other, don't slip when you do this bit because it hurts:)

Jon K
07-28-2006, 02:22 PM
I am worried about a stud breaking and not being able to get the manifold back on the car.

nizmainiac
07-28-2006, 02:48 PM
i shouldn,t worry it'll be ok especially if the head is alloy , you'll be ok , just give it a good dousing of duck oil or wd40

Jon K
07-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Yeah I have some penetrant I will soak it down when the time comes.

nizmainiac
07-28-2006, 05:32 PM
if the worse comes to the worse and you do snap one , just wind it out with a stud extractor or some waterpump pliers and fit new studs, if it snaps in the head carefully drill it out and you can always use a helicoil in the head. but if i was you i would fit all new studs anyway