PDA

View Full Version : TPS REPORT m50/m60

RIPN RAY
07-26-2006, 06:09 PM
trying to find the cause for the erratic acceleration. i did the tests for the throttle position sensor in the bentley, just not sure if they came out ok. i'm kind of confused....

bentley pic shows the terminal identification as 3,2,1 top to bottom. the wires in the connector are labeled the same way. so here is what it says and what i got. (page 130-8 of the bentley)

Test 1
Harness connector disconnected, ignition on
terminals: 1 and ground in the harness connector
test value: 5VDC (approx.)

on my car terminal 1 is a brown wire so connecting a ground to a ground obviously won't get me 5v (and it doesn't). But not sure if it matters; terminal 3 and ground will get me the 5v.

so what's going on here? is there a typo in the bentley or am i miss reading something?

Test 2
Harness connector disconnected, ignition off
Terminals:1 and 3 on sensor
test value: 4.0k ohms (approx.)

i got 4.3, that should be good huh?

Test 3
Throttle plate rotated from idle to full throttle position
Terminals: 1 and 2 on the sensor
Continuously variable from 1.0-4.0k ohms (approx.) without interruption

i got 1.64-4.88k ohms uninterrupted. is that approximate?

now the question is, are tests 2 and 3 trustworthy seeing that the bentley might be wrong with the numbering for the test conditions?

PLEASE help with this i'm confussed!

SchnellE34
07-26-2006, 06:28 PM
Where is your cover sheet? Didn't you get the memo?

RIPN RAY
07-26-2006, 06:51 PM
Where is your cover sheet? Didn't you get the memo?

haha i knew that tittle would get some attention...

...Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...

bill g
07-27-2006, 04:20 AM
I tested TPS in 1992 325 coupe a while back - M50 engine, same TPS part no.as 525, got similar results to you.

Test 1 -
Terminal 3 in harness to earth 5V
Terminal 2 in harness,to earth 5V
Between terminal 1 and 3 5v

I reckon typo error in Bentleys.

Test 2 -
4.5k ohms

Test 3 -
1.4k to 4.5k ohms.

I think these results are approximate enough. Car was not suffering erratic acceleration. I tested TPS because I was trying to find any faults that could be causing weak throttle response and acceleration in top gear at low speeds like 60kph. However I think that is just the nature of the beast - this was a non-vanos auto.

Hope this helps.

Bill G Melbourne Australia