PDA

View Full Version : I'm upgrading my router and had some problems

Bimmer Nut Ed
07-26-2006, 11:45 AM
I'm improving the computing environment here on Bimmer.info and have encountered a minor problem. Sounds like next try won't be till tonight. I thought replacing the aging router would be easy as pie, well pie ain't easy! Hang in there guys, sorry for the brief outage.

GoldenOne
07-26-2006, 11:54 AM
phew...i thought the network guys here finally busted me for spending too much time on this site...what a relief!

Qube
07-26-2006, 12:16 PM
So that's why my 5 sec continual refresh of this page failed! :)

Ross
07-26-2006, 01:02 PM
So, you 'gonna buy me a new mouse now that I've beaten this one to death?

Evan
07-26-2006, 01:52 PM
I'm a Network Engineer... holler if you need tech help

SchnellE34
07-26-2006, 02:04 PM
Yeah, let us know if you have any trouble Ed. I feel like I owe you that much.

Derek A.
07-26-2006, 04:42 PM
What are you running for a router ?

Yiorgos
07-26-2006, 05:31 PM
Router upgrades aren't that hard ;)

Just bung in a decent router like Linksys, put all your machines into DHCP mode in network settings, and bob's your uncle.

632 Regal
07-26-2006, 05:42 PM
huh?

Just bung in a decent router like Linksys, put all your machines into DHCP mode in network settings, and bob's your uncle.

ThoreauHD
07-26-2006, 06:12 PM
If you need help, .. well, you won't be able to tell us, so good luck. Kinda like sending a email when the email server goes down. It just don't work.

It's probably a cisco, and you will want to save your configs and copy paste them into the new router via serial or telnet. Don't use their java gui. It's crap.

Yiorgos
07-26-2006, 06:21 PM
huh?

Uh... yeah... Just read more into the first post now and realised who it was... I was referring to a small home network, the original thread is about a whole website + servers... my mistake!

Teaches me to actually read the first post ;)

genphreak
07-26-2006, 06:30 PM

Just bung in a decent router like Linksys, put all your machines into DHCP mode in network settings, and bob's your uncle.Not quite the advice I'd suggest, however it works if you ensure all the boxen running services behind it have thier current leases defined statically in the DHCP scope first.

Wideband make some of the nicest routers I know, (not that they are for Ed), but it's worth a mention in any discussion on the subject at present, particularly as they can even do Gigabit over barbed wire!

I read this about it recently, as much as I am more of a M0n0wall (http://m0n0.ch/) man myself, I like this and the Vyatta project (http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/qna/0,289202,sid39_gci1204142,00.html)as they use otherwise redundant computers, cost nothing and are as reliable (almost) as a Cisco or other such dedicated device costing thousands more...

"Wideband (http://www.wband.com/) makes Layer-3 switches that beat comparable Cisco routers hands down. With their nMU (pronounced "NetMU") it makes easy things easy and difficult things easy too. With their 28-port switches, you can get full-duplex, non-blocking Gigabit transfers on all ports simultaneously. Also, if you use the nMU control your switches, none of them even need IP addresses. Good luck trying to hax0r a switch with no IP address. Throw in the fact that all their stuff is made in the USA (no off-shore customer support) and costs much less than comparable Cisco gear that doesn't perform nearly as well, and you have yourself a superior product. If you are expanding or replacing your network infrastructure, consider WideBand over Cisco. You'll be glad you did."

The author is damn right too...

Evan
07-26-2006, 07:19 PM
let's take a moment and thank al gore

632 Regal
07-26-2006, 07:43 PM
he is the dude that invented playgrounds with concrete safety pads?
let's take a moment and thank al gore

genphreak
07-26-2006, 11:08 PM
he is the dude that invented playgrounds with concrete safety pads?Soft rubber is no longer required Jeff: Since the users are all fat tikes they bounce and roll without a problem...

winfred
07-26-2006, 11:42 PM
he also single handedly killed the manbearpig

he is the dude that invented playgrounds with concrete safety pads?

Bimmer Nut Ed
07-26-2006, 11:59 PM
And Bob's your uncle. Awsome talk from down under. I like it. Truely an international board.

Anyway, the router I'm intalling is a Xincom XC-DPG402 and I'm looking to use it to do some pass through routing that my other router was not capable of. This way I can implement additional web servers, and migrate from one HTTP virtual server box to another, seamlessly. I can move Bimmer.info to a faster server with ease. For me to move the hundred virtual sites I host at once would be very, very painful. Now, or at least when I'm done, I can move them one at a time, at my leisure.

I don't run a big time operation, one HTTP Virtual server hosting about 100 sites, one DB server, one Email server. On a 10 Mbps connection. That's about it for now. Really only two high activity sites, Bimmer.info and Crappie.com.

Now, time to do the work, keep your fingers crossed.

fkong777
07-27-2006, 02:48 AM

you're kidding right?

Yiorgos
07-27-2006, 03:08 AM
you're kidding right?

As I said in a subsequent post earlier, I admitted my mistake and didn't realise who was writing the first post in this thread.

I thought that the person had a problem with a home router, one of those 4-port jobbies that you just jack into and you're connected.

I had admitted this mistake up higher on this very page.

I do realise now that Ed was talking about his whole web server business and the sites that he looks after, and a 4-port Linksys router definitely won't do the job ;)