PDA

View Full Version : ::.. Hood doesn't open

Qube
07-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Looking at another 89, the hood doesn't open. Pull the release but nothing happens. Can foribly pull the hood forward and the front props up, but the two latches near the windshield refuse the budge, thus hood cannot open. This something one can partake on their own, or should it be brought in?

jnmip
07-26-2006, 12:24 PM
Looking at another 89, the hood doesn't open. Pull the release but nothing happens. Can foribly pull the hood forward and the front props up, but the two latches near the windshield refuse the budge, thus hood cannot open. This something one can partake on their own, or should it be brought in?

Are the hood struts worn out? I replaced both on my 525 and for the first time when I pulled the lever the hood actually popped forward and up without having to pull from the front.

Qube
07-26-2006, 01:42 PM
Are the hood struts worn out? I replaced both on my 525 and for the first time when I pulled the lever the hood actually popped forward and up without having to pull from the front.

They could be worn out, but won't be able to tell because the hood is latched down and won't release :)

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-26-2006, 02:01 PM
are just catches for those black rubber rollers to ride down and secure the hood.

If you pull up and forward at the nose of the hood, they should disengage and allow the hood to lift up and open.

Qube
08-08-2006, 02:38 PM
are just catches for those black rubber rollers to ride down and secure the hood.

If you pull up and forward at the nose of the hood, they should disengage and allow the hood to lift up and open.

Well I can get the front forward and up... but I cannot lift the two 'rollers' near the windshield as it's still 'caught'.

Basically it's like this but won't lift up. BTW it's not my car with the problem *whew *

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/8281/frontvg7.jpg (http://img20.imageshack.us/my.php?image=frontvg7.jpg)

nizmainiac
08-08-2006, 04:22 PM
sounds to me like the hinge at the front is seized up a little, spray some penetration fluid on both sides of the hinge and work the bonnet back and forth, you should be able to get it free at some point

Qube
08-08-2006, 04:27 PM
sounds to me like the hinge at the front is seized up a little, spray some penetration fluid on both sides of the hinge and work the bonnet back and forth, you should be able to get it free at some point

Holy moley, mind's in the gutter :)

On a side note, I'll PBBlaster that thing next time I go there.

Qube
08-10-2006, 08:48 AM
The lock mechanism is actually not that bad to get at. I replaced mine (wide grill version, not sure about narrow grill)

My mechanism broke completely, no matter how hard I pulled I could not release the catch. I had to saw through the metal bar that engages with the catch with a hack saw blade slid through the gap between the grill and the hood......it took hours.

Most of the grill parts just pop off, then a couple of screws for the lights and you can access the fixings for the catch.

From the other thread...

Sounds good. Hopefully I don't have to hacksaw it open!

Mr Project
08-10-2006, 10:41 AM
If you can get the hood to 'pop' up, the latch isn't your problem.

It almost has to be a matter of just pulling the hood forward far enough to get clear of those 'holders' in the back. Time to apply a little muscle...I know I couldn't go 2 weeks without looking under the hood for one reason or another! :)

nizmainiac
08-10-2006, 11:57 AM
i agree, the hinge is like a 2 stage dealy,i had problems with mine , i lubed up the movig parts and now its fine, although i do need the little helper shocks as i have to lift the front, it doesn't go up on its own like it should

Qube
08-10-2006, 01:33 PM
That sounds better :) With my 'l33t' drawing skills using a trackball, let me show you...

Pink is the hood, heh... blue is the latch as I see it. Of course the gap isn't as big (see photo representation instead). So it's pulled forward as far as it can go, but will not open 'up' because it's caught like that.

Bill R.
08-10-2006, 01:37 PM
latch is releasing. The mechanism up front has to pivot at the same time that it raises. When it does this then it moves the rear of the hood on the rollers up and out of the channel its in so you can then lift it up. AS others have already said if you can't lift it up then the front of the hood needs to raise up and pivot forward to draw the rear of the hood back, reach up and raise the front of the hood as far as you can and pull straight back on it while standing at the front of the car. Then go and lift the hood up at the rear.

That sounds better :) With my 'l33t' drawing skills using a trackball, let me show you...

Pink is the hood, heh... blue is the latch as I see it. Of course the gap isn't as big (see photo representation instead). So it's pulled forward as far as it can go, but will not open 'up' because it's caught like that.

NovceGuru
08-10-2006, 01:40 PM

that drawing is HOT ;)

NovceGuru

Qube
08-10-2006, 01:49 PM
Bill, I swear, I can hear your frustration as you can hear mine :) It's something damn simple yet won't work. I've (two people together) have pulled up and forward on the hood as hard as we could and it's raised at the same angle as on my car, so it's my belief that part is right. One thing I did NOT check is to see what it looks like when my hood is raised and not opened... to see if the 'catch' in the channel looks the same (eg, same location). Maybe that part moved or is otherwise messed up.

What's related, but maybe not directly, is even when it's 'slammed' and confirmed closed, the hood release doesn't click. Regardless if it's pulled, so it seems, all one has to do is pull hard and the hood will move up and fowards. Anyway, I'll have a look again.

latch is releasing. The mechanism up front has to pivot at the same time that it raises. When it does this then it moves the rear of the hood on the rollers up and out of the channel its in so you can then lift it up. AS others have already said if you can't lift it up then the front of the hood needs to raise up and pivot forward to draw the rear of the hood back, reach up and raise the front of the hood as far as you can and pull straight back on it while standing at the front of the car. Then go and lift the hood up at the rear.

saj3n
08-10-2006, 06:06 PM
might be a redundant question, but have you listened to see if it is actually "unlatching". Could it possibly be that the handle is not actually pulling the steel wire (i believe that's what it is, could be wrong) which unlatches the hood?

Qube
08-10-2006, 08:43 PM
might be a redundant question, but have you listened to see if it is actually "unlatching". Could it possibly be that the handle is not actually pulling the steel wire (i believe that's what it is, could be wrong) which unlatches the hood?

We've listened carefully and there is no sound :| Now the key question is what exactly happens when you pull the latch? What is released where?

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-10-2006, 08:50 PM
left, just above the headlight.

If the hood pops up, then it is working.

saj3n
08-10-2006, 09:24 PM
We've listened carefully and there is no sound :| Now the key question is what exactly happens when you pull the latch? What is released where?

IMO there can be two issues, one, when you pull the handle inside the car, the bowden cable (see diagram) is no longer connected/broken, and not releasing the latch.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/s/j/1.png

Or, there is a problem with the hood lock, #5 in diagram, where it may be seized, and not unlatching. This is where the hood is kept closed/latched.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/s/j/0.png

Qube
08-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Again, my apologies, but would these issues contribute to the picture above? I mean it's just that part by the windshield that seems to be keeping it shut like a stale clam. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that if all the parts by the windshield are stationary and the latch has no bearing on them at all, why is it stuck? I bet you it'll turn out to be something stupid (a la Bill R explaination) like the pivot being so rusted that it can only lift the hood up and not out. Okay, thanks guys. Once I get back to his car this weekend, I'll work on it.

EDIT actually, the rollers are sitting under that groove in part number 21 (second pic). I can't pull it to get it out from there. Anyway...

IMO there can be two issues, one, when you pull the handle inside the car, the bowden cable (see diagram) is no longer connected/broken, and not releasing the latch.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/s/j/1.png

Or, there is a problem with the hood lock, #5 in diagram, where it may be seized, and not unlatching. This is where the hood is kept closed/latched.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/s/j/0.png

Mr Project
08-11-2006, 07:23 AM
Can you get it 'up' enough to reach the pivot pin bolts #28? If you could remove those, the front of the hood would be free from any mechanical connection to the body of the car (other than wiring and the washer hose). That might allow you to remove it and then see what's really going on in there.

I'm assuming through all this that since the hood can pop 'up', (2nd pic) #8 is popping out of the latch, #5. That should be visible with the hood popped up. As long as that #8 is wholly visible, you don't really have a latch or cable problem.