PDA

View Full Version : Should I part out my 525's or Sell them.

saconnect
07-26-2006, 07:10 AM
I have a alpine white 95 525i 129k mi that needs A/C and Cruise Control, and an orient blau 94 525i 199k mi which is a little rusty and needs a heater core that I need to sell. I've been trying to sell locally for 3,999 and 2,999 respectively, and have had no luck over the past two months including newspaper ads. I don't want the hassle of ebay them as a whole car, Should I lower the price significantly or should I sell the parts and take the rest to the junk yard? Thanks for your opinions.

brosher
07-26-2006, 07:16 AM
Putting the cars on ebay is a lot less hassle than parting a car. Take some good digital pics and make no reserve auctions for 3000 and 2000. They'll sell no problem, maybe before the auction ends.

Ross
07-26-2006, 07:32 AM
Unless you are willing to live with inoperable hulks in your driveway for a long time don't part 'em out. You are likely to sell just enough of them to render the balance truely worthless and an eyesore.
They will sell if you make them cheap. Consider how much money you where thinking you could make selling parts, price them that way and save the hassle.

E34 530
07-26-2006, 09:12 AM
I say part them out. I'll take the sideskirts off the 95 525 ;) .

GoldenOne
07-26-2006, 09:16 AM
I say part them out. I'll take the sideskirts off the 95 525 ;) .

I'm with him, partly because I want the hood and grill off the 95 525 because I desire the wide looks. But you may end up with more money parting the whole car out versus selling it as a whole.

SnakeyesTx
07-26-2006, 09:36 AM
If you have a craigslist in your area, try that first. If you're parting... I could use the 95's front driver's side fender and one of the wheels XD

Denasti
07-26-2006, 09:37 AM
Where are they located?

Eric Clark
07-26-2006, 09:56 AM
I have a alpine white 95 525i 129k mi that needs A/C and Cruise Control, and an orient blau 94 525i 199k mi which is a little rusty and needs a heater core that I need to sell. I've been trying to sell locally for 3,999 and 2,999 respectively, and have had no luck over the past two months including newspaper ads. I don't want the hassle of ebay them as a whole car, Should I lower the price significantly or should I sell the parts and take the rest to the junk yard? Thanks for your opinions.

$4000 for a 95 525i that is in good condition but needs AC and CC looks like a deal. I would try advertising it better. A good ad, pictures and clean car can generate a lot of interest. Most buyers look at how nice the car looks rather then the mechanics.

DanDombrowski
07-26-2006, 10:08 AM
Autos or manuals?

NovceGuru
07-26-2006, 10:08 AM
I might be interested in the whole car..check your pm's

saconnect
07-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Where are they located?

Close to downtown Columbus, Ohio

saconnect
07-26-2006, 10:55 AM
If you have a craigslist in your area, try that first. If you're parting... I could use the 95's front driver's side fender and one of the wheels XD

I'll keep this in mind. I really like the suggestion to think about what you would get in parts, and offer the whole car for that price.

saconnect
07-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Autos or manuals?

Both are automajic, the 94 has heated seats and abs, the 95 does not.

saconnect
07-26-2006, 11:10 AM
$4000 for a 95 525i that is in good condition but needs AC and CC looks like a deal. I would try advertising it better. A good ad, pictures and clean car can generate a lot of interest. Most buyers look at how nice the car looks rather then the mechanics.

How true most buyers only look at the cosmetics, and not the potential. The white one looks great, no rust, etc, and is clean as a whistle. I'll try and post a couple of pics tonight. The local newspaper set me back a about $89 twice for a four line add, but it generated zero interest both time. Where would you suggest that I place and add with picture, Auotrader? Are they still around? Have they ever worked for anyone? This is what's puzzeling me. Everytime I put an ad in the paper, or park the car with a sign, I usually get all kinds of calls and quite a few lookers. The last two times, zero calls! (yes the phone number was correct ;-) My 94 530i sold within a week of parking it on a main street, my GC the same way. At least I would expect to get some calls.

saconnect
07-26-2006, 11:15 AM
Unless you are willing to live with inoperable hulks in your driveway for a long time don't part 'em out. You are likely to sell just enough of them to render the balance truely worthless and an eyesore.
They will sell if you make them cheap. Consider how much money you where thinking you could make selling parts, price them that way and save the hassle.

I like this suggestion. Does anyone have a clue about what I could make in parts for one of these? Maybe I'll just go into the junk-yard business too ;-) One has a great body, the other is rusted. I've always understood that a running car is worth more than the sum of it's used parts, and I cannot see that I have $3000 in parts in the best of these two cars. Thanks so much for the discussion.

saconnect
07-26-2006, 11:20 AM

Perhaps it might be better if I didn't put needs A/C and CC in the ad? But I want to be honest with folks.

saj3n
07-26-2006, 03:24 PM
Where would you suggest that I place and add with picture, Auotrader? Are they still around?

www.craigslist.com is a good place to start.

If you were closer to Philly, I might have picked up the White one from you... But if you do decide to part, do let us know. I have my eyes on a few things.

Eric Clark
07-26-2006, 04:46 PM
Here in DC Craigslist is great. I never heard of anyone using auto trader. We found a car on there once but it was 6 years ago.

When making your decision to part out or not do not forget your time invested. If it was me I'd subtract my time taking eveything a part then preparing to ship. If you look at it that way then you'd have a very hard time making more parting then selling.

Airborne001
07-27-2006, 05:22 AM
I would part them out. I made 3 times the money selling litttle itty bitty parts of my 325 on Ebay than I would have gotten for the whole car on the wheels.