PDA

View Full Version : Changing Head Gasket, What other things should I look at replacing?

Mass535Love
07-25-2006, 05:00 PM
I'm planning on replacing my head gasket, I'm going to get a kit from BMAPARTS. Do you guys have any suggestions on other parts near and around there that I should check the condition of and / or replace? I'm on a tight budget of a few hundred dollars. I'm not talking major items, just things that would be easier to replace since I'm doing the head gasket anyway. Things like gaskets, caps, hoses, wires, sensors etc.

Thank you all in advance.

Michael

P.S. I forgot to add this bit of information that might help.
M30 engine, 184k miles. If that helps any.

Jeff N.
07-25-2006, 05:16 PM
Assuming this is a M30 motor

- both coolant hoses under the intake manifold
- get 2 new hose brackets for under the manifold
- get new intake and exhaust manifold nuts (12 per side + 4 extra exhaust nuts for the lower part of the intake manifold)
- new 3mm vacuum hoses from the manifold to the FPR and valve cover vent
- new ICV vacuum hose
- replace the 3 inch piece of high pressure fuel line on the injector rail
- consider replacing the o-ring gaskets on the injectors (2 per IIR, tend to be silly price for what they are)
- very easy time for a new water pump
- easy time for new cap and rotor
- new timing chain tensioner plug and spring
- new throttle body to intake manifold gasket

That should get you pretty far along...you don't need all these but I'm sure you can assess what's important for your car.

I'm assuming you'll order a head gasket kit which will get you all the critical gaskets you need for the cylinder head. Be triple careful you don't whack the plastic timing chain rail that sticks up beyond the block. Kill that and you get the pleasure of having to remove the lower front cover which of course means you have to remove and replace the 325 ft/lb crank nut.

Have fun!!

Jeff

I'm planning on replacing my head gasket, I'm going to get a kit from BMAPARTS. Do you guys have any suggestions on other parts near and around there that I should check the condition of and / or replace? I'm on a tight budget of a few hundred dollars. I'm not talking major items, just things that would be easier to replace since I'm doing the head gasket anyway. Things like gaskets, caps, hoses, wires, sensors etc.

Thank you all in advance.

Michael

Ross
07-25-2006, 05:18 PM
Check the head mating surface for straightness! This is a long chunk of metal that tends to distort a bit once overheated.
Use a machinists straightedge and some feeler gauges. Any more than a couple thousandths needs resurfacing.
Any hoses or belts you remove you ought to replace unless you did so recently. Cooling systems are the #1 cause of breakdowns, the parts are pretty cheap and you already have the old ones off.
Sensors go at will so save your money there. The oil cap gasket is a good idea as it can create problems with the crankcase ventilation and idle issues.
Ignition parts aren't cheap for the M30 so inspect carefully before arbitrary replacement.
Loc-tite the banjo bolts holding the oil lines on the head or buy the updated bolts as the originals tend to loosen.

Dash01
07-26-2006, 11:51 PM
How much extra trouble is it to replace the timing chain and tensioners while the head is off for HG replacement?

If the head has some heat damage, how much trouble and expense is it to have the head machined back to tolerances?