PDA

View Full Version : ::.. Scary thing happened today...

Qube
07-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Long story short... ever since the Chicago meet, the coolant temp has been inching towards red. At it's highest point (that would be yesterday), it was halfway between the line after middle, and middle. Today, for no obvious reason, it's always been a hairline below middle. It's been that way for four drives today. I know I shouldn't, but this makes me want to put off the coolant flush for a bit longer...

Now... the weather forecast for Toronto today?

THIS IS AN ALERT TO THE POTENTIAL DEVELOPMENT OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WITH LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING WINDS. MONITOR WEATHER CONDITIONS..LISTEN FOR UPDATED STATEMENTS. IF THREATENING WEATHER APPROACHES TAKE IMMEDIATE SAFETY PRECAUTIONS.
http://theweathernetwork.com/weather/alerts/warnings.htm?region=WWCAON0014

Hmmm... the quiet before the storm...

Ross
07-25-2006, 02:27 PM
The thermostat failing is my guess. Has your warmup time been different?

nizmainiac
07-25-2006, 02:29 PM
what is the average warm up time? mine does it within about 5 mins

Qube
07-25-2006, 02:30 PM
No. I let it idle enough to get the faceplate on and radar detector in place, then go off low revved until it reaches just before middle. This is usually the onramp to the highway so it's perfect. I'm about to go out for a drive now so we'll see...

EDIT: Oh ITS OWN warmup time. I never clocked it before...

Ross
07-25-2006, 02:47 PM
Every Bimmer I've owned warms quickly, never timed it though. Have you noticed a difference is what I was asking.

Macv
07-25-2006, 03:39 PM
My Bimmer warms up in about 5 minutes and stays a hair above middle. I'd guess failing thermostat like Ross said.

Paul in NZ
07-26-2006, 03:45 AM
try disconnecting and reconecting the temp senders,might just be faulty readings,although mine were reading low not high.

Qube
07-26-2006, 05:24 AM
Warms up in 4 minutes. Again today it's smack in the middle. I mean, it's been going higher bit by bit since June...

Ross
07-26-2006, 07:41 AM
At least your on top of it. Something is bound to rear it's head soon. Have you tried checking and cleaning the sensor connections? Perhaps a little corrosion is causing goofy readings.

Edit I PM'ed you 2 wks. ago RE your spares. ??

Qube
07-26-2006, 08:19 AM
Checked PM... dont' see it but I have PMs saved back for months... i must have accidentally purged it?

Macv
07-26-2006, 02:34 PM
Hmmm... the quiet before the storm...

Your new sig reflects your problem/weather. ;)

Kakaire
07-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Mine warms up in about 5mins, and ever since I put on a fan clutch from an M50 engine, it stays a hair below half.