PDA

View Full Version : Update: Opparts rotors/Mintex pads 2.5k mi

tim
07-25-2006, 01:47 PM
I have put on about 2500mi since I did my brake job. We did a big family trip, lots of around town driving, and of course my usual "spirited" stuff. Without bogging down into where these things are made and all that stuff I'd like to offer my observations for the benefit of the board.

First of all, the rotors are just fine. No probs whatsoever. I know some are disturbed by where they are made. I'm not. It's a rotor- IMHO if it's properly machined, and the metal's good, it doesn't matter whose name is on it.

The Mintex pads (which I have never had before) are a mixed bag. On the positive side, they have virtually no dust! I thought Patrick (BMA) was joking around when he said they had no dust, but it's really true. They are very nearly dust free. They squeak a little, off and on. The wear on the rotor is smooth and even, so I guess that's the price you pay for no dust. It's not an unbearable squeak, but nonetheless, I have to mention it.

Installation note: the Mintex pads come with pre-attached shim material. I'm used to using that gooey stuff, so maybe my squeaking is due to that. For the purists I suppose you could peel it off and use your anti squeal compound of choice.

Anyway, I'm happy with the combo, and on the basis of my relatively short experience, I can recommend the combo for the budget-minded self-wrencher. I'll post if something goes wrong.

Qube
07-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Woo woo woo... extremely low dust? I can hear the chrome lip smiling already... hmmm...

632 Regal
07-25-2006, 03:00 PM
I have the Opparts rotors and am happy, the Raybestos QS have NO dust also.
Woo woo woo... extremely low dust? I can hear the chrome lip smiling already... hmmm...

Macv
07-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Jeff, do you have these Raybestos? Do they squeak?

saj3n
07-25-2006, 04:46 PM
My Mintex squeak a bit... But may be due to the slotted/drilled rotors. However, after applying anti-squeal, they're just fine. And I can second the Low Dust comment. Very Low!