PDA

View Full Version : Reviving the Cheap Parts Debate

Evan
07-25-2006, 01:00 PM
I'm in the market for a new suspension. I'm looking for shocks, springs, and complete front end.

Cheap front end parts are $200 for control arms, sway bar links, tie rods, and idle arm.

Lemforder kit from BMA is $650...

Is it really worth it?

bfd
07-25-2006, 01:11 PM
I'm in the market for a new suspension. I'm looking for shocks, springs, and complete front end.

Cheap front end parts are $200 for control arms, sway bar links, tie rods, and idle arm.

Lemforder kit from BMW is $650...

Is it really worth it?

Why not contact an auto parts place like BMA, Pelican, Alloembmwparts, etc. and ask for name brand parts like Lemforder control arms, BOGE 750i upper control arm bushings, etc.? That way you get the *best* parts at a lower price.

Jay 535i
07-25-2006, 01:24 PM
Agreed. You can have your cake and eat it too if you buy from BMA -- best parts at the best prices.

In the long run, I suspect 'cheap' parts will cost you just as much because you'll have to replace them more often.

Evan
07-25-2006, 02:06 PM
I quote BMA prices... but actually wrote BMW!!!

Ross
07-25-2006, 02:06 PM
For whatever it's worth.
I just did my whole car using Meyle from partsonline.So far so good.
Also bought their 250 dollar aux. fan that vibrates badly.
Bilstein touring shocks are working fine for me.
As you can see I bought on price, and am mostly happy with my choices.
My 525 has no sporting aspirations, your 540 may demand better stuff.

Evan
07-25-2006, 02:09 PM
I can buy an FCP kit for $200... or a Lemforder/M5 bushing kit for $664... will the Lemforder last six years? If not, I should buy cheap parts and change every two years

Ross
07-25-2006, 02:16 PM
Are you gonna' have this car in six years?

Qube
07-25-2006, 02:17 PM
I have an FCP "upgrade" kit installed. I forgot how long now. It's in my log book and in the forums if you search. No visible problems yet. Of course, I have another complete set should anything happen. So you can have two sets for the price of a Lem. kit.

nizmainiac
07-25-2006, 02:27 PM
i get all my parts at trade price from bmw, thats the advantage of being in the trade, if i can't get them the my dad can because he is also in the trade

632 Regal
07-25-2006, 02:55 PM
with the steering I would recommend Lemforder

as for the control and thrust arms...

lets see, Im on my 3rd FCP set (replaced for warrantee issues) and the new set is shaking violently on braking (typical bushing issue)...

do I want to do this again? NO I DONT the FCP bushings are complete ****, this set got the wobblies when I had to stop quick to avoid an animal...4 sets? I dont think so. The arm and joint part seem to be okay if you paint them but their bushings are garbage. They tear at the thin part like nothing.

Bill R.
07-25-2006, 03:16 PM
a mechanic. Its fairly well known about meyle quality. Here's a post from awhile back on the UUC digest from Lowell's boss.

Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 00:33:39 -0500From: KMS- Brett Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>To: UUC Digest <bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com>Subject: Re: Meyle Front Control ArmsMessage-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>This is pretty standard with <sub-standard> Meyle parts.Ask your local Meyle rep how many E36 hoods they replaced due to Meyle fan blade failures.....Meyle is synonymous with crap. They claim to have improved their quality and are now offering some form of warranty, but responsible and professional shops won't touch their stuff.Brett AndersonKMS-Koala Motorsportwww.bmwdiffs.com9988 Kinsman RdNovelty, OH 44072(Near Cleveland)Richard Dorffer wrote:> --- Michael Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:> >>I just replaced the front control arms in my '93 325iS with ones from >>Meyle. It was not a difficult job, but it did take some big hits on the >>pickle fork to get the ball joints to pop out. I don't have a hydraulic >>press at home, so I used an air chisel to get the old bushings out and used >>a really big bench vise to put the new ones in.> > > I hope you have better luck with Meyle ball joints than I did, the ball > joints in the Meyle tie> rods I installed in two E30s were shot in less than 10k miles of very normal > highway usage.> > Regards,> > Rich------------------------------

For whatever it's worth.
I just did my whole car using Meyle from partsonline.So far so good.
Also bought their 250 dollar aux. fan that vibrates badly.
Bilstein touring shocks are working fine for me.
As you can see I bought on price, and am mostly happy with my choices.
My 525 has no sporting aspirations, your 540 may demand better stuff.

Evan
07-25-2006, 03:40 PM
Bill, I'm driving my car to your shop... how many miles from Baltimore?

pundit
07-25-2006, 05:04 PM
My BMA Lemfoerder front end parts are due to arrive anytime now.
As an example here in Australia, a single factory upper thrust arm (inc. bush) was going to set me back $490.00 AUD from the local BMW stealer.
A Lemfoerder from BMA (with 750 bushing pressed in) is $140.00 AUD.

So I can buy the OEM part for less than one third the cost of the dealer supplied part.
Yeah I could 'save' another $25.00 or so buying Meyle or Ocap but who wants to replace arms and tie rods every two years?
I certainly don't!!

The argument that you should buy cheap suspension components to 'save money' is like 'killing for peace' or '****ing for virginity'.

Evan
07-26-2006, 04:16 PM
so I should expect my Lemfoerder parts to last five years? if so, they're well worth it...

thanks for the advice

pundit
07-26-2006, 04:33 PM
so I should expect my Lemfoerder parts to last five years? if so, they're well worth it...

thanks for the advice
Considering some have stated that cheaper components have begun to fail within 10,000 miles (refer to Whit Lowells experience (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=15280&highlight=fcp)) I would think that 50,000 miles for OEM parts would be a reasonable expectation depending on road and driving conditions.

E34 thrust arm bushes are a heavily loaded component and are the first thing that generally fails.
Bear in mind they can be replaced relatively cheaply with heavier duty OEM 750 bushings.

The quality of the ball joint ends and tie rods of the Lemforder components are the things that really outlast the cheaper equivelants. A ball joint or tie rod that begins to show signs of failure within 10,000 miles should indicate the poor quality of the part.

Of course if one includes labor costs of replacing parts every couple of years along with accelerated tyre wear (more $$$) then I think the savings associated with cheap BMW front end parts are somewhat of a myth.

Jehu
07-26-2006, 08:46 PM

Lemforder kit from BMA is $650...

Is it really worth it?

This kit comes with 750 bushings and while they don't claim to be lemforder they do claim to be German... is this the one you were looking at ? I too am thinking of redoing the front end as i have the braking shudder .If i need upper trust arms i may as well do everything while its up.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-CONTROL-ARM-E34-SUSPENSION-UPGRADED-FULL-set_W0QQitemZ200010051911QQihZ010QQcategoryZ33583Q QtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

liquidtiger720
07-26-2006, 10:48 PM
What do people think of those aluminum e31 control arms with the spherical bushings?

genphreak
07-26-2006, 10:50 PM
What do people think of those aluminum e31 control arms with the spherical bushings?I have the stock aluminum ones with the rubber bushings. Look great to me quality wise, and have gone fine for 10,000 km. For all the other parts, I am a Lemfoerder man, now I have (almost) learnt! My advice is go Lem all the way, if you really want to try somethign goto the AL arms from another manufacturer or go the ones with the Sperical bearings; perhaps Lem is the only manufacturer to make these...

liquidtiger720
07-26-2006, 11:01 PM
I have the stock aluminum ones with the rubber bushings. Look great to me quality wise, and have gone fine for 10,000 km. For all the other parts, I am a Lemfoerder man, now I have (almost) learnt! My advice is go Lem all the way, if you really want to try somethign goto the AL arms from another manufacturer or go the ones with the Sperical bearings; perhaps Lem is the only manufacturer to make these...

The ones I am refering to have spherical bearings. no rubber. :)

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/suspensions.htm

Ross
07-27-2006, 08:14 AM
If you eliminate the bushings in favor of a spherical joint on a street driven car you will likely regret it. The rubber is there to absorb some of the shock that is otherwise transmitted to the body. Race cars ride like crap and those are intended for racing.

mikell
07-27-2006, 04:37 PM
Lemforder - it's not just the cost of the part, but also the time or money in labor to make the change. . . and, while one set of cheapo parts might last a couple of years, the next set from the same manufacturer might crap out in 5000 miles - ask Jeff. And, then there's the time the car is out of service to consider. I just cannot afford to buy cheap parts.

rob101
07-27-2006, 04:53 PM
Lemforder - it's not just the cost of the part, but also the time or money in labor to make the change. . . and, while one set of cheapo parts might last a couple of years, the next set from the same manufacturer might crap out in 5000 miles - ask Jeff. And, then there's the time the car is out of service to consider. I just cannot afford to buy cheap parts.
i like the way you said that. whilst i have not experienced bad parts going crappola on me. i think that summarises the sentiments, that the repeat costs and time that you risk having to spend again fixing those parts. isn't worth it financially or mentally.

Evan
07-27-2006, 05:43 PM
I've decided to buy all Lemfoerder... I'd love to get another 40K miles out of my car... I'm also looking at springs, shocks, chips for engine and tranny, flex disc, subframe bushings, and dogbones (in addition to whatever else shows a need to be changes.

Now I need to find a great BMW mechanic to do all my work for me!

Eric Clark
08-03-2006, 08:28 AM
so where did you end up getting the kit from?

Evan
08-03-2006, 08:53 AM
I decided to buy the complete Lemforder kit from BMA. It cost me $664 plus shipping. I also bought H&R springs and KYB shocks to go with it, a new flex disc, and delrin subframe inserts from Racing King, dog bones, and assorted other goodies. I have a bunch of before and after pics and I'm going to post them to show the transformation of my car from beater to brand new.

I'm still looking for some door handles... maybe even a set of BMW Motorsport handles... haven't found any so input is welcome

Qube
08-03-2006, 09:29 AM
I decided to buy the complete Lemforder kit from BMA. It cost me $664 plus shipping. I also bought H&R springs and KYB shocks to go with it, a new flex disc, and delrin subframe inserts from Racing King, dog bones, and assorted other goodies. I have a bunch of before and after pics and I'm going to post them to show the transformation of my car from beater to brand new.

I'm still looking for some door handles... maybe even a set of BMW Motorsport handles... haven't found any so input is welcome

KYBs, although inexpensive, aren't really made for lowering springs. I tried them on the Focus and they rode harser than stock. Switched them to Konis and all was good :)

Evan
08-03-2006, 09:55 AM
I'm putting them on next week... I'll give you my impressionh after 1000 miles

Eric Clark
08-03-2006, 06:45 PM

Where is the kit on their website? Are these the 750 arms or e34?

632 Regal
08-04-2006, 09:12 AM
call them, the website is far from complete.

Where is the kit on their website? Are these the 750 arms or e34?

pyro
08-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Ive only had problems with the sway bar links... and one of the balljoint boots died but that was my fault because the brake shield was rubbing it.