PDA

View Full Version : Brake Bed-in Question

punktunes9
07-25-2006, 10:04 AM
I did my front brakes last night. New Brembo OEM rotors and new PBR MetalMasters. I did it exactly as described in the Bentley Manual and as described on this site and e34.net . I am sure I did it right because I am very anal about working on my car and previous car (e30 325es) which i did the brakes in also.
When I step on the brake I hear a clunking or banging noise. It is a loud or not so loud noise and the severity is based on the vehicle speed and how hard I apply the brakes. It doesn't feel as if the disc is warped, I know that vibration/shutter feeling. On inspection of the rotors, it seems the pad closest to the outside of the car is making little or no contact with the rotor. It could be that I need to bed-in the pads more. I did the original bedding correctly and it did not go away. Any help or information you have is greatly appreciated. Thanx

DanDombrowski
07-25-2006, 10:34 AM
See if it makes the noise when you brake in reverse. I had a caliper bolt fall out once, and it made a clunking noise.

Ross
07-25-2006, 05:00 PM
Take off the wheel and push the inboard pad back into the caliper by prying the backing plate against the caliper opening. Try moving the caliper now on the slides. Sounds like the caliper is hanging up to me. If so clean and lube the bolts until it's free. With the piston retracted it should move pretty easily.
Ther may also be a suspension issue you hadn't noticed before.