PDA

View Full Version : exhaust dinan vs flowmaster

hatched91
07-24-2006, 08:09 PM
hello everybody. i did some research and couldn't find much on exhaust. i have a 1990 535i with a b&b tri-flow catback exhaust system (came with the car). the exhaust creates a low tone, and is the right amount of loud for me, noticeable but not screaming. my problem is that the exhaust is not throaty, has no vibrato, isn't "burly" enough for me. i know it's a big 6 (3.5L) and has enough motor to make a throaty sound, just not like a v8. i was thinking about removing the resonators, but i'm afriad that will just make it louder and more raspy, not throaty. i also considered putting on dual 50 series flowmasters to some camero tips right under the bumper(so it's not so noticable). i believe that will give me a more throaty sound, and not too loud. i know it's almost a crime to put american muffers on instead of a performance car-specific perfomance exhaust, but i'm just not satisfied with the tone. also considered removing the cat. what kind of exhaust set-up should be done to give me a more throaty sound in your opinion?

***sorry for the paragraph, but it should make for good reseach for others intersted in exhaust options.***

genphreak
07-24-2006, 08:28 PM
Try not to mess too much. If stock is good enough for the M5's S38, its good enough for your motor. These cars have very decent tailor-made exhausts, not shop-constructed 'this should be good' type pipes that aren't engineered, tested, tested and tested again. The only ones that get close are Supersprint and Eisenmann. Remus are not better than stock- just noisier. Most will reduce economy, but since empirical test data is not available on any of this understanding the finer points is very hard.

btw; resonator on the 3.5 is a must. Without it you and your occupants will be driving (or more likley be driven) to an asylum in no time flat.

Sorry for the bad news, but its the way it is. Don't take it so hard though, the stock setup is really very good. Only trouble is rust when beyond 10 years old. :) Nick

saj3n
07-24-2006, 08:39 PM
If you do get rid of that B&B.... Keep Saj3n in mind... :-D

I've actually thought about going with Magnaflow mufflers myself, but I would like to purchase the muffler and then take it to the shop to have they weld it on. Instead of going there and having them charge me 3 times the amount that I can get it for on eBay. The problem I've run into is the dimensions of the magnaflow muffler. Not sure which model/size to get for our cars.