PDA

View Full Version : Eureka!!! I did it!!!

Alpinewhite
07-24-2006, 08:31 AM
Hi All,

I changed engine oil, Power steering fluid and brake fluid my self yesterday. It may sound silly for many of you but this is by far the most complicated wrenchy thing I have ever done!!! Thanks to all of you and this forum.

Now some questions.

1. While I was bleeding brake fluid in one of the rear wheels, I almost rounded of the bleed screws. Is it easy to replace them?
2. I forgot to buy crush washer for the power steering drain bolt and re used the old one. Is it ok?
3. Where to get proper filter cap socket for 95 530i M60 motor? I didn't have anything which fit the the cap properly. Finally I used an adjustable wrench which slightly damaged the plastic.

Thanks a lot guys,
Arun

632 Regal
07-24-2006, 08:46 AM
1. While I was bleeding brake fluid in one of the rear wheels, I almost rounded of the bleed screws. Is it easy to replace them?
yes, unscrew the old one and screw the new one in.

2. I forgot to buy crush washer for the power steering drain bolt and re used the old one. Is it ok?
youll be fine as long as it dont leak and you dont strip it trying to get it to stop leaking.

3. Where to get proper filter cap socket for 95 530i M60 motor? I didn't have anything which fit the the cap properly. Finally I used an adjustable wrench which slightly damaged the plastic.
any hardware or auto store, sears? etc. I think it's 34mm but not positive.

Alpinewhite
07-24-2006, 10:24 AM
Thanks Jeff,

Is it that simple? When I remove the old bleed screw from the caliper and put in a new screw, how to avoid air flowing in?

Arun

yes, unscrew the old one and screw the new one in.

Jon K
07-24-2006, 10:27 AM
Air wont really flow inward but you'd want to bleed that caliper again

winfred
07-24-2006, 10:41 AM
36mm

any hardware or auto store, sears? etc. I think it's 34mm but not positive.

Alpinewhite
07-24-2006, 12:04 PM
36mm
Thanks
Arun

Alpinewhite
07-24-2006, 12:05 PM
Air wont really flow inward but you'd want to bleed that caliper again

Thank you. Thats a good news for me.
Arun

Alpinewhite
07-24-2006, 12:09 PM
Guys,

I have another question. When I turn the wheel to the left or right limit, I hear a continous hissing sound. The same hissing sound happens (but for a fraction of a second) from the rear when I go over a bump.

Since I have self levelling LAD suspensions at the rear, I think it could be related.

Is this some kind of a problem?

Thanks
Arun

BillionPa
07-25-2006, 04:15 AM
you should get some stainless steel speed bleeders for your calipers, they make it so much easier.

also, the PS drain bolt should have a rubber oring not a crush washer, i think.

that hissing sound is the sound of power steering fluid leeking from the steering box..... thats bad. mine did it much worse after i drained it (must have cleared the gunk out) and it was leeking quite a bit. lucas power steering stop almost completely got rid of it (hiss/leak)

Alpinewhite
07-25-2006, 09:52 AM
Hi BillionPa,

that hissing sound is the sound of power steering fluid leeking from the steering box..... thats bad. mine did it much worse after i drained it (must have cleared the gunk out) and it was leeking quite a bit. lucas power steering stop almost completely got rid of it (hiss/leak)

Is there any other way other than to use "stop leak" products.

you should get some stainless steel speed bleeders for your calipers, they make it so much easier.

Sure I will. It was defenitely a pain to stomp on the brake pedal like 500 times.

also, the PS drain bolt should have a rubber oring not a crush washer, i think.

My bad. I thought the rubber O-ring was called crush washer!!! I am learning. Mine has a rubber O-ring as you said.

Thanks for your valuble time,
Arun

BillionPa
07-26-2006, 10:41 AM
i need to get one of those o-rings too.... after i figure out the size.... unless somebody else has a part #??

the other options for fixing the hissing are replacement of the bolts and o-rings attatching to the box and pumps that hold the hoses (unless you have a leaky hose, then replace that too) or in my case, replacement of the steering box itself, for aobut $1000 in parts, and maybe about as much in labor since there is no way in hell im even gonna try screwing with that. you will see what i mean if you even try to look at the box

sbihue
07-26-2006, 11:27 AM
Also bookmark these sites

http://www.bmwE34.net (a must for any DIY'r)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw (For identifying parts and nos)