PDA

View Full Version : 1000 views in less than one day...OMG!!

Ausmpower
07-24-2006, 03:27 AM
WOW..........

I thought some of you might like to know what the original order spec' was for your cars but WOW!

over 1000 veiws in less than 24 hours!!

Maybe we could all cut and paste that info to our profiles to allow others to know what was factory fitted for easier fault resolution. What do you guys think??

Rossco

Paul in NZ
07-24-2006, 03:48 AM
i think i got mie from the dealer...
Thats an incredible servce you have done..I dont know why but I NEED to know this type of thing...

Ausmpower
07-24-2006, 04:44 AM
The response has been pretty awesome to say the least.

I'm just a Bimmer nut who's glad to help!

R

The Bigfella
07-24-2006, 05:26 AM
Ahh - 'tis a good thing you've done mate. Thanks again

genphreak
07-24-2006, 06:06 AM
WOW..........

I thought some of you might like to know what the original order spec' was for your cars but WOW!

over 1000 veiws in less than 24 hours!!

Maybe we could all cut and paste that info to our profiles to allow others to know what was factory fitted for easier fault resolution. What do you guys think??

Rossco If only we could decode the e34 VIN properly ourselves. Could make a web-form that would do it and put it on the forum. I think Shogun had a link at some point but it didn't do the lot. I only say this as it'd save you looking up 10,000 e34s AusM.

I really like the idea of it being listed in our profiles though. I'd do that for sure. If it's pasted into a lot of sigs, they will get really long and our index fingers could seize up...

Ausmpower
07-24-2006, 06:10 AM
Not a a sig but as part of your "Biography' perhaps.....

DAMN tried it but it's too long.

Maybe the board admin could create a "vin detail" column under our public profiles for us to add this crucial information?

I reckon it's great information to have handy when someone ask's can I retrofit a BMW stacker to my tape deck? or

Do i have heated seats/ Mirrors?

Did my car come with XXX option?

Do i have an LSD?

ADMIN GOD'S are you there???? :D

R

genphreak
07-24-2006, 06:31 AM
Biography is around 90 characters maximum :( If they can be pasted into a spreadsheet this could be put online easily enough- then people could add a link in their sigs to their particular part. Just needs to have someone as the designated updater and an online host to store it on. I'd be happy to do this.

Dunno what else to suggest... :) Nick

Alexlind123
07-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Not a a sig but as part of your "Biography' perhaps.....

DAMN tried it but it's too long.

Maybe the board admin could create a "vin detail" column under our public profiles for us to add this crucial information?

I reckon it's great information to have handy when someone ask's can I retrofit a BMW stacker to my tape deck? or

Do i have heated seats/ Mirrors?

Did my car come with XXX option?

Do i have an LSD?

ADMIN GOD'S are you there???? :D

R

The order sheet thingy for mine doesnt have heated seats on it, but my car doesnt have heated seats. Maybe they are standard with the electric seats in some regions?

DABIMR
07-24-2006, 12:08 PM
If only we could decode the e34 VIN properly ourselves. Could make a web-form that would do it and put it on the forum. I think Shogun had a link at some point but it didn't do the lot. I only say this as it'd save you looking up 10,000 e34s AusM..
Here's a link to a quasi-VIN decoder (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showpost.php?p=513397&postcount=3) "borrowed" from another board (I used to have an E46 ///M3.. :)) Not the greatest, as it's not as detailed as Aus' but at least you get some information...

Zeuk in Oz
07-24-2006, 07:05 PM
As Paul in NZ said, we all have this innate desire to know.

Most of us have received some surprises too - I thought the handling & cornering were because of a limited slip diff, which I don't have, not the sport suspension which I apparently do have.

Thanks for all your trouble.

Anything I can help you with, give me a hoy ! :)

Ausmpower
07-25-2006, 04:02 AM
The order sheet thingy for mine doesnt have heated seats on it, but my car doesnt have heated seats. Maybe they are standard with the electric seats in some regions?

Maybe regional not sure, most electric adjusting seats are heated afaik.

Ausmpower
07-25-2006, 04:05 AM
Here's a link to a quasi-VIN decoder (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showpost.php?p=513397&postcount=3) "borrowed" from another board (I used to have an E46 ///M3.. :)) Not the greatest, as it's not as detailed as Aus' but at least you get some information...

That doesn't list any factory fitted options, What I'm using is linked to BMW's actual vin specific build list not just source factory and build date.

it tells you the target market, paint code, trim code and al other factory fited items.

Paul in NZ
07-25-2006, 04:15 AM
my car has electric adjusted seats but not heated.I think the point is BMW must have one of the longest and most flexible option list there is.

Yiorgos
07-26-2006, 04:12 AM
Ausmpower, just wanted to say a big thanks for the VIN searches. I would have posted this in the VIN thread but I'm pretty sure my post would be lost in the torrent of others out there.

<ramble>
I wouldn't call what Ausmpower is doing as strictly decoding per se -- I thought it would be just a simple search of the last 7 digits. Decoding VIN would assume that the whole VIN has been encoded, and that by purely decoding the VIN alone you would get all the information as per Ausmpower's thread. This would not work, as a car with exactly the same specs as the next one would have to have exactly the same VIN, which is not allowed since VINs have to be unique.

What this means is that it is nigh on impossible to make for example a web application or a form somewhere on the net that would decode a VIN that you enter and return with all the information as per Ausmpower's posts. The only way to make this work is if the web form had a database connection to the BMW database that have records of all the cars they've produced and what was in them. I would assume Ausmpower's method of grabbing the relevant information is done the same way -- enter in the digits requried and it does a search within BMW's databases to find a recor match and then just spew out all the info related to that record.

It would be impossible to do this via a web form interface, as the script would require a database connection whenever it's used, and I doubt BMW would allow their databases, and hence their data, to be available so openly.
</ramble>