PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know what this BMW standard is?

rob101
07-23-2006, 11:12 PM
BMW N 600 69.0 - BASF
I was looking at coolant and i found one that reckons it complies with this specification (not sure about the BASF part but anyway)

shogun
07-23-2006, 11:20 PM
BASF is the producer of Glysantin
http://www.corporate.basf.com/en/stories/wipo/glysantin/infokasten.htm?id=V00-ZboGR9*7_bcp.W1

rob101
07-23-2006, 11:24 PM
so will i be struck down with the hammer of thor if i use this coolant or is that a blessed coolant of the fatherland?

shogun
07-24-2006, 12:06 AM
Not blessed by the fatherland but by BMW, Saab, VW, Mercedes etc.
Do a search and you will find a lot of info. In short:

Coolant uses in BMW must not contain nitrite and animo and phosphate and must also have corrosion inhibitor.

Try Zerex G48, I read that is approved by BMW:
copied:

Coolant answer from Valvoline

Message: Our Zerex G48 is tested and certified for use in BMW vehicles. We have other products that will protect all the parts in the engine, but they have not gone through the formal approval process.

rob101
07-24-2006, 04:08 AM
Yes erich i am aware of the low phosphate requirement of bmw however i was not familar with this standard number I was curious whether this was their standard that they require for their coolants.
anyway
I shall revel the mysteries of the coolant too all aussies.
it is Castrol NF coolant and NF 50 premix
you can see the TDS here (http://www.tds.castrol.com.au) search for coolant in the drop down menu.
i am going to see whether i can get this coolant for my next coolant change through work, the 50 premix is 50/50 so its perfect for a top up as well! i will work out how much she costs. any australian members remember how much coolant from the dealer costs?

genphreak
07-24-2006, 05:43 AM
Yes erich i am aware of the low phosphate requirement of bmw however i was not familar with this standard number I was curious whether this was their standard that they require for their coolants.
anyway
I shall revel the mysteries of the coolant too all aussies.
it is Castrol NF coolant and NF 50 premix
you can see the TDS here (http://www.tds.castrol.com.au) search for coolant in the drop down menu.
i am going to see whether i can get this coolant for my next coolant change through work, the 50 premix is 50/50 so its perfect for a top up as well! i will work out how much she costs. any australian members remember how much coolant from the dealer costs?
Dude... Shogun's link had a lot in it ;)
i.e. from BASF's coolant FAQ (http://www.performancechemicals.basf.com/ev-wcms-in/internet/en_GB/portal/show-content_ao/content/EV/EV3/products_markets/automotive_fluids/glysantin/FAQ):

Is it sufficient to go by the recommendations on the labels or packaging of engine coolants? No. Automobile manufacturers do not recommend engine coolants; they only approve them for use. You should therefore make sure that engine coolants are officially approved by the manufacturer before you purchase them.
I think this makes it pretty clear. BMW don't issue a standard, they simply test the various appropriate coolants and specify one as part of a procurement process with a manufacturer (or several). If none of them will sell their coolant to the aftermarket recommended for your car I'd say the risk is not worth it, though I commend you on your continued research.

http://www.performancechemicals.basf.com/ev-wcms-in/internet/en_GB/function/conversions:/publish/images/EV/EV3/glysantin/visual_produkte_m.jpg

Glysantin® Protect/G05
Extremely suitable for cast engines
Glysantin® Protect Plus/G48
Suitable for all popular makes of car
Glysantin® Alu Protect Premium/G30
Recommended for aluminium engines

Even though this is probably OK, which one would you use?

BMW provide it in a bottle over the counter.
I think it is something like AU$65 per 2 years... is it really worth all this effort?

Even if you were 99% sure you could find a substitute- is it worth corroding your motor and so on if it goes wrong somehow? Don't get me wrong- ultimately if the mystery can be unravelled appropriately and a better source found, I'll be clapping and patting you on the back. But due to the way these products are marketed, it seems a hard thing to do without resorting to chemical analysis!

:) Nick

shogun
07-24-2006, 07:36 AM
Glysantin G48/24
of the companies BASF, Unico (South Africa) and Chang Chun in China are approved. BMW produces in South Africa and China now too.

mixture ratio with water 50:50 (+-2,5%)

Water requirments:
Looks: clear, colourless
no suspended solids/sediments/particles
pH-value 6,5-8,0
hardness max 20° d.H.
Chloride-contents max. 100mg/l
Sulfate-contents max. 100mg/l

bfd
07-24-2006, 08:43 AM
BASF is the mfr of BMW coolant in Europe and other parts of the world.

In the U.S., BMW contracted Valvoline to make G-48. For a cheaper alternative, get Saab "blue" coolant. Its also G-48, but when sold with the Saab label, its more like $12/gal versus BMW's $24-30/gal.

genphreak
07-24-2006, 10:33 AM
BASF is the mfr of BMW coolant in Europe and other parts of the world.

In the U.S., BMW contracted Valvoline to make G-48. For a cheaper alternative, get Saab "blue" coolant. Its also G-48, but when sold with the Saab label, its more like $12/gal versus BMW's $24-30/gal.I'l check the price of the Saab stuff and report back.

I suspect in Oz that it'd be as much as the BMW stuff... but doesn't Volvo use the same stuff too?

bfd
07-24-2006, 11:04 AM
According to the Valvoline website, the following mfrs use Valvoline Zerex G-48: BMW, Saab, Jaguar, Rolls-Royce, Volvo, Cummins, and VW.

https://www.valvoline-technology.com/data/valv/prodinfo.nsf/0/85256AE300727D2B85256FB300100795/$file/Zerex+G+48.pdf?OpenElement

I've only investigated Saab, and found they have 2 coolants - a blue and an orange. I bought the Saab "blue" stuff.

Actually, you may want to see what Rolls Royce uses....Let us what you find with Volvo.

shogun
07-24-2006, 04:14 PM
The BASF Glysantin Protect Plus / G48 bottle
-I bought 10 ea 1.5 liters at a discount of 8.50 EURO in Germany and carried in my suitcase :) -
shows the following:
approved for:
Audi (TL 774-C till production 07/1996), BMW (BMW N 600 69.0), DaimerChrysler (DBL 7700.20, page 325.0) KHD (H-LV 0161 0188), MAN (MAN 324 NF), MTU (MTL 5048), Opel/General Motors (B 040 0240 till production 07/2000), Porsche (TL 774-C till production 07/1996), Saab (6901599), Seat (TL 774-C till production 07/1996), Skoda (TL 774-C till 07/1996), VW (TL 774-C till 07/1996), also suitable for further cars like Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi.

rob101
07-24-2006, 09:19 PM
BMW provide it in a bottle over the counter.
I think it is something like AU$65 per 2 years... is it really worth all this effort?

yes because it means i don't have to stuff around chasing coolant
castrol will deliver to work, regardless over whether this is a "standard" or not. you wouldn't hear mercedes owners arguing over this kind of stuff, mercedes recommend quite a number of oils coolants and whatever other fluids for use. i don't really understand so BMW say this is suitable for the application how is this not suitable? if you had a mercedes and you were recommended to use Daimler chrystler sheet no. 228.1 then you'd use an oil that is approved by mercedes and comforms to that number.
how the hell is this any different?
is or is not G48 just a tradename of a particular ethylene glycol mix. its like saying even though bmw approves castrol edge 0W-40 you should only use the bmw oil that you buy at the dealership.