PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried painting side mirrors?

Bimminator
07-23-2006, 10:29 PM
Decided to tackle some rust on the bottom of my doors, grinded it off as best I could then used rust converter and rust primer until I can get it to a body shop. I kind of got all excited to really clean it all up so I followed Lowell's instructions on painting my body trim and bumper moldings. Used trim paint from Part-Source, worked really good. Then I found a post instructing on how to use blackout tape for my chrome trim, I liked the look of that so I went for it. Looks really good! Now what I would like to do is take off my side-view mirrors so I can sand them down to be re-painted. I'll likely leave them off so they will be easier for the body shop to paint, but last time I did some paint work, the shop I went to didn't want to paint the mirrors because the base is aluminum and they said the paint won't stick! What say you? HAs anyone painted their mirrors before? Any problems, how did you do it?

Thanks, and one of these days I will figure out how to post pics on this site so I can show what I have done to date, but that would require reading some instructions!

Shawn

BillionPa
07-24-2006, 12:44 AM
i have black leather covers on mine, they look great.

Yiorgos
07-24-2006, 02:02 AM
so I followed Lowell's instructions on painting my body trim and bumper moldings.

Who's Lowell and where are these instructions?

Ausmpower
07-24-2006, 04:47 AM
My side mirrors were repainted 12 months ago by a normal body shop, no dramas so far!

Bimminator
07-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Who's Lowell and where are these instructions?
Sorry I just assumed everyone knew who I was referring to. Lowell is a regular here, check out this link it's pretty useful.

http://www.bmw4life.com/bumperTrim.htm

I also went to a recommended body shop and got the bad news that it is going to cost at least $1500 Can. to make her pretty again, that is repair bottom door rust and repair a hole in lower front corner pannel! Ouch! dose this sound about right?

Shawn

Yiorgos
07-24-2006, 09:09 PM
Sorry I just assumed everyone knew who I was referring to. Lowell is a regular here, check out this link it's pretty useful.

http://www.bmw4life.com/bumperTrim.htm

Thanks, bookmarked it :D