PDA

View Full Version : spark plugs

Unregistered
04-03-2004, 12:59 PM
has anyone used ngk plat 4 spark plugs or bosch version, would like some feedback on how they stack up against org plugs

Tiger
04-03-2004, 01:56 PM
Stick with normal spark plug for BMW... whatever BMW specified copper or silver plug. The reason why platinum is good for all other cars is because of weak coil ($$$ always win in manufacturer = saving money = more profit). BMW however has a very strong ignition system... especially those coil packs... one coil per spark plug.

Back to the plug... platinum is good for weaker ignition system because it takes less energy to ignite than copper (hardest) and silver (easier). When ignition under tremendous load, it cannot supply all the maximum energy to regular plug... whereas platinum makes it easier and more efficient. Does this sound like more HP? Not really.

To get more HP, you must have strong ignition at the spark plug... so copper wins to provide maximum HP... and yes, you have to have strong ignition system to make full use of it. So, if you have individual coil packs, stick to copper.

winfred
04-04-2004, 12:32 AM
bosch platinum's suck in all but the cleanest burning cars, they suck because the actiual platinum center electrode is surface mounted and about the size of a gnats cock, it takes almost nothing to fowl it and reduce it's effectivness. ngk platinum is a good but expensive plug, it has a large center electrode and a platinum pad on the ground and will last about 100k miles (i don't like it but have seen it on the managers hot rod v8 dakota) i don't like leaving plugs in that long, they get the chance to weld themselves to the head. bosch super w8lcr m20 I motors and m30 e32/34, bosch super f7ldcr m50 and m60, ngk bkr6ek m50 and m60, bosch silber (silver) m20 E (eta) motors and older m30s, i've been testing a few older m30s on w8lcr supers with success if you wanna cheep out on the expensive silvers (but id go with the silvers if it was my car)