PDA

View Full Version : Missing, or blind?

SnakeyesTx
07-23-2006, 07:19 PM
The missing ... what was supposed to go behind the washer fluid bottle? I have 7 studs closely patterned together there and just above that is a sticker from BMW that says "Not responsible for non-oem parts" or something to that effect.

Blind? I just noticed that there's only 1 clearly visible dipstick under the hood. It's red, and near the front of the motor (towards the radiator) and I'm assuming that's the oil dipstick (ususally yellow on most other makes). Where's the transmission one? (yes, auto) The only thing labeled anything relating to transmission fluid was a small bottle behind the drivers side headlights. "Use only ATF" on the cap, but I'm again assuming that's for the power steering?

saj3n
07-23-2006, 07:23 PM
The missing ... what was supposed to go behind the washer fluid bottle? I have 7 studs closely patterned together there and just above that is a sticker from BMW that says "Not responsible for non-oem parts" or something to that effect.

Blind? I just noticed that there's only 1 clearly visible dipstick under the hood. It's red, and near the front of the motor (towards the radiator) and I'm assuming that's the oil dipstick (ususally yellow on most other makes). Where's the transmission one? (yes, auto) The only thing labeled anything relating to transmission fluid was a small bottle behind the drivers side headlights. "Use only ATF" on the cap, but I'm again assuming that's for the power steering?

I don't think we have a dipstick for trans fluid. Yes, the "use atf.." cap is where we deposit power steering fluid. Red is oil.

SnakeyesTx
07-23-2006, 07:26 PM
How would ya fill it? o_O

saj3n
07-23-2006, 07:27 PM
How would ya fill it? o_O

I'm pretty new to this area, but from what i've read, we have a lifetime trans flluid which is sealed within the transmission.

Macv
07-23-2006, 07:37 PM
If you have the skill/time, I'd advise changing your "lifetime" fluid sometime down the road. It may not be going bad, but it definitely will make your car shift like new ;)

Ausmpower
07-24-2006, 03:31 AM
Life time is 100,000 KM by the way guys........Not however long it runs for........

Russell
07-24-2006, 03:41 AM
no dipstick and it is not lifetime fluid on the 95 525i. Fluid and filter should be changed (not flushed) every 30,000 miles. Do a search in archives about details.

Russell
07-24-2006, 03:45 AM
complicated to check and to fill on e34 with GM trany. Car has to be elevated and level and at a specific temperature and then check level through fill hole in trany. Cost is about $100-150 for an independent to change oil and filter. Check archives for more detail.

Mendozart
07-24-2006, 08:26 AM
I just did mine about 3 weeks ago, it's not that difficult. There's a good write up at www.pelicanparts.com. It's an e36 tranny, but it's the same as ours. It's in the tech articles section on the left hand side of website, after you click on BMW.