PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use POR-15 rust prevent?

Jon K
07-23-2006, 06:37 PM
I have a couple spots on the car where I can see it getting brown. I want to dab some of this stuff on the car and paint over it (touch up paint, these arent very noticeable spots). input?

Wyn
07-23-2006, 06:45 PM
Put some Gold Bond on it.

Jon K
07-23-2006, 06:58 PM
yeah..

Anyway.

SnakeyesTx
07-23-2006, 07:11 PM
Good stuff... really good stuff. I used it on several 4x4's and had great results with it. It acts like a sealer as well as rust eater/primer converter kinda thing.

Chowchilla Skunkwerks
07-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Good stuff...scrap off the chunks first. I've used on many English cars with great results..
Rob

gtopaul
07-23-2006, 07:36 PM
I've used POR15 for years but, like any other rust preventitive or sealer, you have to get both sides of the metal if it's rusting from behind. Treating bubbling rust on the outside is a waste of time without getting at the core of the problem.

Paul

The Bigfella
07-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Not right for what you are talking about using it for - the top coat won't stick unless you also buy the specific undercoat to go over the POR. I've used lots of it - boat engines, many boat parts, boat trailer, etc and have had mixed results. If you don't get the prep exactly right, it just peels off. If you don't use the special coating over it and under other paints, they just peel off.

For what you are talking about - spot repairs - I'd go the traditional rust converter, primer, touch-up paint route.

BTW - if you get it on your hands you get major staining that lasts for days - don't ask me how I know.

Ian

Jon K
07-23-2006, 07:53 PM
I am going to order their little kit which preps the metal and such - they say the POR-15 just needs to be covered by opaque paint, which is what I intend to do.

Montreal525
07-23-2006, 09:56 PM
Not right for what you are talking about using it for - the top coat won't stick unless you also buy the specific undercoat to go over the POR. I've used lots of it - boat engines, many boat parts, boat trailer, etc and have had mixed results. If you don't get the prep exactly right, it just peels off. If you don't use the special coating over it and under other paints, they just peel off.

For what you are talking about - spot repairs - I'd go the traditional rust converter, primer, touch-up paint route.

BTW - if you get it on your hands you get major staining that lasts for days - don't ask me how I know.

Ian

He's right. I did an entire frame up on a 74 Bronco and used POR-15. That stuff is tough as nails but you need to prep it right or it's useless. It's a pain to paint POR-15. For minor repair, go the traditionnal route. I have found that POR-15 is best for anything hidden or underneath. And unless you're willing to shoot it (major PITA), you're gonna brush it or roll it on and it's not going to give you great results as far as finish and you need all those specials paints from the company.

Wear heavy rubber gloves, like kitchen gloves and long sleeves, and a mask, that stuff stinks and gets you high pretty quick... If you get some on your skin, forget about it, don't even try to wash it out, you'll just get frustrated. You're stuck with it for a couple of day so enjoy... ;)

Jeff

Jon K
07-23-2006, 10:06 PM
Ok so what would a conventional method before for covering very small surface rust (thing like a rock chip that had a little brown in it) without using POR-15?

Montreal525
07-23-2006, 10:16 PM
Touch up paint from the dealer is made thicker and covers more easely because you brush it on. You can get a small pencil size wire brush and brush out the chip then apply touch up paint. I use a toothpick when applying the paint, letting it go down easy on the toothpick. I find it easier to control than the small brush that comes with the touch up paint and it can be very precise for small chips. I rarely had to redo a touch up...

Jeff

Jon K
07-23-2006, 10:27 PM
This is the proper way to cover a rusting chip area? I thought paint would lift...

Montreal525
07-23-2006, 10:59 PM
This is the proper way to cover a rusting chip area? I thought paint would lift...

Well, I would say it's one way. It all depends on the size of the chip and the extent of the rust underneath. Anything bigger than a 1/4 inch diameter, either chip size or rust area size, you'be able to see a touch-up from 10 feet away. And yes, the bigger the touch-up, the more likely the paint will eventually lift. I have three years old touch-ups on my car and they haven't lifted or grown. Touch-up are what they are, they're never perfect to begin with...

Jeff