PDA

View Full Version : ASC on a 540i

jgardia
07-23-2006, 05:51 PM
Hello everyone,
I've got a 93 540iA, and I'm thinking about installing an ASC system. I know that I need the computer and the throttle (and the button!), but I don't know what else I need.
Also, I need to know how difficult is to install. And the last questios is for the pepole that has one on their cars, does it worth it?

Thanks,

Jose

BillionPa
07-23-2006, 05:57 PM
its only worth it in bad conditions like snow or gravel. if you want high performance control you need race logic which cuts off injectors like a formula car.

stx133
07-23-2006, 06:05 PM
if you want high performance control you need race logic which cuts off injectors like a formula car.

Cutting off injectors (no fuel) would lead to leaning out the cyllinders, sounds like a quick path to destruction..

jgardia
07-23-2006, 06:05 PM
Yes, I'm thinking on gravel. Where I'm living you have to do 4 km of gravel to go anywhere.

its only worth it in bad conditions like snow or gravel. if you want high performance control you need race logic which cuts off injectors like a formula car.

SharkmanBMW
07-23-2006, 06:09 PM
you can easily do without by NOT pressing as hard on the throttle.
If you push it hard all the time it is useful in snow and loose gravel,
BUT you can control your driving habits easier than trying to install DSC on a car that came without it.

Macv
07-23-2006, 06:19 PM
Yes, I'm thinking on gravel. Where I'm living you have to do 4 km of gravel to go anywhere.

Save the money for the new paint job you'll want down the road.

BillionPa
07-24-2006, 12:41 AM
it cuts off fuel and spark for every other rotation of the engine untill it stops slipping, so there is no damage to the engine.

Triton540i
07-24-2006, 01:46 AM
I have it on my 95' 540i, but I don't really care whether it's there or not. I've only come to find it handy in the rain, a pain in the ass if I have to punch it and my car falls flat... but usually it's not in sport mode and that could be my problem too. I guess it's nice to have, but I wouldn't install it if my car didn't have it, it's just the way you learn to drive your car.. being smooth is what it's all about isn't it? I store my car in the winter, so I guess it would be nice to have then?

I know it's a wishy-washy reply, but I guess the amount of power these things have... slipping the rear wheel isn't that hard to do if you know what I mean?! ;)

-Eric

Ausmpower
07-24-2006, 08:48 AM
Cutting off injectors (no fuel) would lead to leaning out the cyllinders, sounds like a quick path to destruction..

Ever notice how when your coasting the MPG gauge goes to ZERO?

The DME cuts the fuel on coast with the throttle closed anyhow.....

Only boosted (turbo, super charged or Nitrous) motors suffer from lean cut off under load not Na motors.

Ausmpower
07-24-2006, 08:52 AM
Hello everyone,
I've got a 93 540iA, and I'm thinking about installing an ASC system. I know that I need the computer and the throttle (and the button!), but I don't know what else I need.
Also, I need to know how difficult is to install. And the last questios is for the pepole that has one on their cars, does it worth it?

Thanks,

Jose
Asc is part of the EMl drive by wire system. AS an example on my 535 I would need the EML throttle body, EML accelerator pedal (potentiameter), different DME, different ABS module and associated wiring harnesses.

Not worth try to retrofit if you ask me.

just learn to drive smoother.