PDA

View Full Version : Dupont Teflon Spray Wax (Pics)

saj3n
07-23-2006, 02:39 PM
Yesterday afternoon I drove about an hour outside of center city Philadelphia to a friends place, the entire weekend had been rainy and nasty! I got there and saw my friends car, a 2002 mitsubishi eclipse, lowered, kit, rims, exhaust, cold air, etc... Very nicely done. His car is black also. After eating, on my way out, he wanted to see the latest mods to my car. So we walk outside and I see how HORRIBLY dirty my car was, yet his looked like it had just been washed! I was amazed at the difference. He told me he used this Dupont Spray wax w/Teflon and it worked miracles! Not sure if you guys have seen the commercial where there's a car in a wind tunnel, the scientest throws a bucket of mud on the car, and it bounce right back at him, leaving car spotless. This is that stuff! I figured I'd give it a try. And at only $7-8 bucks a bottle why not?! I also picked up the Dupont spray wheel & tire cleaner w/Teflon, as these wheels are hard to clean/keep clean.

Anyways, I thought I would post a few pics of it now, and a few later in the week after driving around with a Teflon-coated vehicle.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/saj3n/Dupont/IMG_0119.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/saj3n/Dupont/IMG_0099.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/saj3n/Dupont/IMG_0109.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/saj3n/Dupont/IMG_0070.jpg

saj3n
07-23-2006, 02:40 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/saj3n/Dupont/IMG_0145.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/saj3n/Dupont/IMG_0132.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/saj3n/Dupont/IMG_0126.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/saj3n/Dupont/IMG_0103.jpg

SchnellE34
07-23-2006, 02:56 PM
Wow, very nice Jasen. I like the first one in the second post.

saj3n
07-23-2006, 03:05 PM
Wow, very nice Jasen. I like the first one in the second post.

Thanks! :) Found that little corner under a portion of I 95 near the deleware river.. :-P

gale
07-23-2006, 05:22 PM
So -- this begs the question: if nothing sticks to teflon, how does the teflon stick to your paint?

Just kidding, nice job!

Where did you get it?

saj3n
07-23-2006, 05:24 PM
So -- this begs the question: if nothing sticks to teflon, how does the teflon stick to your paint?

Just kidding, nice job!

Where did you get it?

LOL... :-D Pepboys.

Dupont Teflon Wax = $8
Dupont Teflon Wheel Cleaner = $7
4 applicator pads = $4

Total = $19 give or take...

Russell
07-23-2006, 06:31 PM
Duragloss seems very good. Cheap at Carquest and NAPA. I tried the bonding agent and the new 105 total protection polish (synthetic sealant) this weekend. I have never seen the finish on my e34 so slick and reflective. Now we shall see about durability. Waxes only last 2-3 weeks in high heat. I expect this stuff to last much longer.

saj3n
07-23-2006, 07:13 PM
Duragloss seems very good. Cheap at Carquest and NAPA. I tried the bonding agent and the new 105 total protection polish (synthetic sealant) this weekend. I have never seen the finish on my e34 so slick and reflective. Now we shall see about durability. Waxes only last 2-3 weeks in high heat. I expect this stuff to last much longer.

Happen to have any pics?

Chowchilla Skunkwerks
07-23-2006, 07:32 PM
any streaks??? easy to put on and remove? Looks great.

saj3n
07-23-2006, 07:37 PM
any streaks??? easy to put on and remove? Looks great.

No streaks, easy for both! By far the easiest wax job i've done. Of course it's just one coat, but wanted to test the effectiveness of the Teflon. If it works as good as I've seen, then I'll step up to a full wax job, with this as the final coat.

Thanks! :-D

Macv
07-23-2006, 07:49 PM
Beautiful beautiful shots! Get us some pics about a week down the road. I really need to pick some of that up.

jbraswell
07-23-2006, 08:17 PM
I would use something else in conjunction with that, I'll be interested to see how it lasts. I use meguiars and automagic usually. Meguiars high tech wax (# 26 I think) is pretty good for a quick wax. I've had to play with a couple mixtures to find a polish that I really like, but I've had pretty good results with mid-line products like these. Looks good though, I really like those wheels

632 Regal
07-23-2006, 08:21 PM
get that thing in the sun and lets see an egg job...dont forget the teflon egg fipper :D

Looks great, makes me feel like hosing mine off or something.

KenB
07-23-2006, 09:17 PM
The car wash I use in the winter has a teflon spray in the rinse cycle for $1.50 that I've tried, it actually makes the car look real good. I just used Maguires on mine a couple weeks ago, think I'll look for some at PepBoys to finish it up.

Your car looks great!

bbig119
07-24-2006, 07:42 PM
That's right by the movie theatre there, right? I would never have thought that would look so cool- excellent shots. I've gotta try and find a good place/time to snap a few.

Last week when that nasty storm came through on Tuesday, I was out at Sears grabbing a few tools and came out to see a big nasty gray/purple storm cloud rolling in. I noticed the light/backdrop really made the calypso red look fantastic and I wish I had a camera at that moment. I tend not to bring cameras to the hardware store though.

Alan_525i
07-24-2006, 08:05 PM
I saw Saj3n's car at Jon's when it was there for a bit and I'm very impressed at how it looks in the pics. Did you do any other detailing since it was there?

Looking good man!

saj3n
07-24-2006, 08:32 PM
I saw Saj3n's car at Jon's when it was there for a bit and I'm very impressed at how it looks in the pics. Did you do any other detailing since it was there?

Looking good man!

Thanks! :)

I did do the Meguiar's 3 stage wax about a month ago. Just that and this dupont spray wax.

saj3n
07-24-2006, 08:36 PM
That's right by the movie theatre there, right? I would never have thought that would look so cool- excellent shots. I've gotta try and find a good place/time to snap a few.

Last week when that nasty storm came through on Tuesday, I was out at Sears grabbing a few tools and came out to see a big nasty gray/purple storm cloud rolling in. I noticed the light/backdrop really made the calypso red look fantastic and I wish I had a camera at that moment. I tend not to bring cameras to the hardware store though.

Yup, right by the movie theater. It is actually parking for that theater. :-P I found a section that wasn't closed off, and didn't have any cars parked.

Yea, I know what you mean. There've been times I've kicked myself for not having a camera, other than the phone. So I started to carry around a smaller Point & Shoot Sony camera, but now the Digital Rebel will have to ride shotgun whenever I do car work. :-D

94_e34_525i
07-24-2006, 09:48 PM
Its good that it worked for you but when I used the teflon stuff it was ok at first but it sure as hell didnt keep my car clean, and it stopped beading after a 2 weeks. In my experience its crap.

liquidtiger720
07-24-2006, 10:02 PM
Does the teflon even adhere to the paint?

I thought it had to be @ some high heat temperature for it to adhear to fabrics/materials....?

gimmicky imo.

But it does look good. :)

JohnC
07-24-2006, 11:51 PM
looks good i'll give it a try.

you should get some euro trim that would really finish the car off.

saj3n
07-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Does the teflon even adhere to the paint?

I thought it had to be @ some high heat temperature for it to adhear to fabrics/materials....?

gimmicky imo.

But it does look good. :)

So far it seems too. Its sort of the same process as Rain-ex on windsheilds. You have to rub it in well, and then buff off. Not sure how adequate the adhering process is, but it does seem to serve its purpose.

saj3n
07-25-2006, 05:06 PM
looks good i'll give it a try.

you should get some euro trim that would really finish the car off.

Thanks!

Yea, eurotrim is coming soon. Probably within the next 3 weeks or so.

saj3n
07-25-2006, 05:09 PM
Its good that it worked for you but when I used the teflon stuff it was ok at first but it sure as hell didnt keep my car clean, and it stopped beading after a 2 weeks. In my experience its crap.

I drove through a puddle yesterday, unavoidable. I noticed after it dried that there were splash of mud on the front fender on the passenger side. I took put a soft cloth and with a very gentle motion, the mud came right off. I feel as if I could've blown on it hard enough for it to slide off the paint. I'll see just how well it reacts come the end of this week and the thunderstorms which it entails.