PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Level sensor specs

infinity5
07-23-2006, 10:01 AM
Is the coolant level sensor simply an open-closed switch? I've "jumped it out" before and still recieved the low coolant warning, but if i change the entire thing it will go away and read correctly.

does anyone know the ohm-out for it (coolant level correct), if it's not an open-closed system?

Ausmpower
07-23-2006, 01:55 PM
It's a magnetic reed switch.
normally open until closed by the magnetic strip in the float.

shogun
07-23-2006, 06:59 PM
Check the 2 wires, they break easily as they are very thin. If you still get a low signal when you bridge the 2 cables at the plug, search for a broken wire , they go to the CCM. I soldered 1 wire last weekend.

shadowpuck
10-04-2006, 06:39 PM
I'm still battling a low level warning on our '93 525i.

Since I'm relatively new at testing this type of thing, what's the easiest way to bridge the coolant level sensor? I've replaced the sensor and I still get the message - so I'm assuming it is in the wiring or the CCM.

I've tried searching the ETM for info on the sensor and how it interacts with the CCM and no luck.....

Thanks for any advice/suggestions!

DaveVoorhis
10-04-2006, 06:55 PM
what's the easiest way to bridge the coolant level sensor?
Pull the plug and stick a bit of wire in the connector holes.

shadowpuck
10-06-2006, 05:50 PM
Thank you for the info - I've added that to my list....

I happened to get lucky and won a lot of 3 CCM's on eBay for 1.25....yay! :)
They arrived today and I tried each one until I found one that cleared the coolant level message - the second one did the trick....

Sounds like there might be an internal issue with my CCM and the other one I tried....I'm wondering, is it perhaps similar to the LKM where some soldering/repair of an internal connection/resistor will do the trick?