PDA

View Full Version : M20 timing belt quality difference

bigmuthatrucker
07-23-2006, 06:15 AM
I have noticed there are quite a few different companies that make them.. Any advice on which one to use? should I just buy one of the kits avalible that come with the tensinor? Also are there any quality issues with the water pumps that are avalible? I am looking to do this within the next couple of weeks.. I bought the car about a year ago. I have been slowly putting the car back together.. The car was a mess when I got it! I will probably do the belts and thermostat as well.. As I dont know when the last round of proper maintence was done. Also whats the parts required to replace the camshaft seal... I dont have a bentley.. I want to get one I just gotta get the thing back on the road first... any help would be great..
cheers
jimmy

Rigmaster
07-23-2006, 08:16 AM
hmm, that's a good one. I have always had good luck with the Continental "Conti" timing belts, but I'm sure there are some other good ones. Water pumps are a tough one (for me) because there seem to be soooo many brand names out there now- it used to be you could just get the replacement parts like this made in Germany, and you were safe, but this seems to no longer be the case. Geba and Graf are two water pump names I have used with no problems- again, I'm sure there are other good ones too- as well as bad.

Camshaft seal- I would not replace unless it's leaking. Definitely get a bentley before you try to tackle all of this stuff.

Bret.

uscharalph
07-23-2006, 08:38 AM
hmm, that's a good one. I have always had good luck with the Continental "Conti" timing belts, but I'm sure there are some other good ones. Water pumps are a tough one (for me) because there seem to be soooo many brand names out there now- it used to be you could just get the replacement parts like this made in Germany, and you were safe, but this seems to no longer be the case. Geba and Graf are two water pump names I have used with no problems- again, I'm sure there are other good ones too- as well as bad.

Camshaft seal- I would not replace unless it's leaking. Definitely get a bentley before you try to tackle all of this stuff.

Bret.
The continentals are the ones I've used also. If you're replacing the thermostat and water pump, spend a couple of bucks for a new radiator cap while you're at it.

Bill R.
07-23-2006, 08:47 AM
the dealer themselves, I go to the bmw dealer and buy them. It seems that even though you can buy conti belts elsewhere the ones that are produced for bmw are of a different quality. Same thing applies to toyota and honda as well. I only use OE belts on any timing belt jobs i do. The price difference isn't that great and the quality difference is usually obvious.

I have noticed there are quite a few different companies that make them.. Any advice on which one to use? should I just buy one of the kits avalible that come with the tensinor? Also are there any quality issues with the water pumps that are avalible? I am looking to do this within the next couple of weeks.. I bought the car about a year ago. I have been slowly putting the car back together.. The car was a mess when I got it! I will probably do the belts and thermostat as well.. As I dont know when the last round of proper maintence was done. Also whats the parts required to replace the camshaft seal... I dont have a bentley.. I want to get one I just gotta get the thing back on the road first... any help would be great..
cheers
jimmy

Ausmpower
07-23-2006, 01:54 PM
And dealers don't do timing belt 'kits' either, they're are several different belts used depending on the year model of the vehicle.

wingman
07-23-2006, 02:26 PM
- it used to be you could just get the replacement parts like this made in Germany, and you were safe,
Bret.

The last genuine pump I bought (E12) was made in Italy!!! Does anyone know who is the OEM?

Zeuk in Oz
07-23-2006, 04:09 PM
I used a Continental belt from BMA that included a tensioner.