PDA

View Full Version : towing 535i

jjdickm
07-22-2006, 05:25 PM
I am picking up another e34 I have to drive from la ca to phoenix az 400+ miles I want to tow this thing as cheap as possible but not unsafe I am looking for advice on how to tow this thing. I have to go tomorrow.

pundit
07-22-2006, 05:29 PM
I am picking up another e34 I have to drive from la ca to phoenix az 400+ miles I want to tow this thing as cheap as possible but not unsafe I am looking for advice on how to tow this thing. I have to go tomorrow.
Can you get it transported via rail?
Taking into account fuel prices and the fact that trailering 1.5 tons over 400 miles carries a definate accident risk I'd consider rail even if is a couple of hundred $$$ more than picking it up yourself.

winfred
07-22-2006, 06:17 PM
tow vehicle? the best is a double axle trailer and a diesel (better mpg, teens vs possible single digits with a gasser) to pull it like this
http://members.cox.net/kitlou/triptruck.JPG
if the car is a automatic that kind of mileage will destroy the tranny if you tow it with a dolly without removing the driveshaft, or try the risky ass backwards pull with the front on the ground, u-haul stuff is stupidly expensive to rent, to rent a double axle for my haul would of run over a grand and at that point i would of just bought a stake side trailer for around $1500 but i was able to borrow a buddys dovetail car hauler

if towing with a automatic remember to watch the rpms and if they get too low (like under 2k rpm at cruising speed) take it out of overdrive (or use tow/haul mode if the truck has it) or you may roast the tranny due to low fluid pressure