PDA

View Full Version : Jack question again

Alpinewhite
07-22-2006, 03:55 PM
Hi all,

I bought Big red 2 1/2 ton jack and 6 ton jack stand from Northern Tools. They look good and steady.

I lifted the car (placing the jack in the cross member) just an inch above the lowest height of the jack stand. I placed the stand underneath (the stock lift positions) and tried to lower the car so I could place it on the stand. But no matter how slow I lower the jack I feel the cars falls free on to the jack with a thud. Is there any trick that I should learn. I dont want to put a hole under the car.

Your wise words please.

Thanks
Arun

632 Regal
07-22-2006, 03:59 PM
the jacks crap. The more expensive ones have a more positive release that dont dump in 1/8th turn...been there done that.

Tiger
07-22-2006, 04:01 PM
Turn very very slow.

BillionPa
07-23-2006, 12:05 AM
i slowly jack mine up so that the car is about 1mm above the jack stand, so when my crappy jack drops the car, it doesnt have any time to accelerate to dangerous speeds.

Bill R.
07-23-2006, 07:55 AM
first ways to identify most of the poorer jacks are that they use 2 gear mechanisms to rotate the release valve. The better jacks typically use a universal joint instead and the release is much more easily controlled. The only cheap jack that i've found that has a nice smooth easily controlled release is the 99 dollar jack at checkers/kragen as seen here at partsamerica.com (http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?categorycode=3397&mfrcode=PBI&mfrpartnumber=647530)

This jack has a 3 year warranty and since i use it virtually every day of the week its turned out to be a very good jack for the price, its a copy of a lincoln jack thats copied pretty well. I turn mine in once a year to checkers and get a new one. I think i'm now out of warranty and may actually have to buy one if it breaks on me. I have 3 floor jacks at any given time and typically have used jacks from costco or sam's since they are usually the best bang for the buck but this checkers jack has turned out to be a very good jack. It won't fit under dropped cars though you have to drive up on boards or lift under the jacking points on one side to get the car high enough to get the jack under.

Any jack of equal or better quality than this is typically going to cost 2 to 4 times as much money.

Hi all,

I bought Big red 2 1/2 ton jack and 6 ton jack stand from Northern Tools. They look good and steady.

I lifted the car (placing the jack in the cross member) just an inch above the lowest height of the jack stand. I placed the stand underneath (the stock lift positions) and tried to lower the car so I could place it on the stand. But no matter how slow I lower the jack I feel the cars falls free on to the jack with a thud. Is there any trick that I should learn. I dont want to put a hole under the car.

Your wise words please.

Thanks
Arun