PDA

View Full Version : saggy headliner

will2002tii
07-22-2006, 01:35 PM
I have an extremely saggy headliner, not just a samll spot, most of it. What to do? I looked into pulling it but that is way to much work, any thoughts? tanks.

Jay 535i
07-22-2006, 01:41 PM
How about an elaborate system of supporting columns, in the style of the Ancient Greeks? It could be like the Parthenon in there!

http://www.globaled.org/chinaproject/teachingmaterials/lesson_61_The%20Parthenon.jpg

In truth, I think you have to replace it. It's been done by people on this forum. Try a search, or hope somebody chimes in with a link to the thread. I know it's out there.

Alexlind123
07-22-2006, 03:07 PM
You have to replace it. I took my headliner out and spent hours scrubbing the old foam/glue from the board before finally deciding to get a used one from another bmw. I actually picked up a headliner of the same color from a 535i for $100 today with all the handles and lights and sunroof switch section.

GoldenOne
07-22-2006, 03:12 PM
bada bing bada boom

http://www.wlsheadliners.com/tutorials/bmw/

blackpawn5
07-22-2006, 04:00 PM
I have this crazy idea, probably doesnt work. If there is glue between the headliner and and roof; could you take a hair dryer and heat the glue up through the headliner and reapply in sections? I might be way out there let me know if anyone thinks its possible.

I need another beer

632 Regal
07-22-2006, 04:16 PM
unfortunately it isnt the glue that failed but the foam thats part of the headliner material. The **** dries out and seperates. There is no cure but to pull and reupholster that and all the other parts so it matches. Mine recently failed from my detailer doing something he shouldnt have and now my car suffers the same grim situation.

I am going to try to staple the thing back to the board.

damn thats hi-tech! looks like **** but no more flappies!

Paul in NZ
07-22-2006, 04:20 PM
mine is losing its grip too...

mamilapon
07-22-2006, 04:24 PM
unfortunately it isnt the glue that failed but the foam thats part of the headliner material. The **** dries out and seperates. There is no cure but to pull and reupholster that and all the other parts so it matches. Mine recently failed from my detailer doing something he shouldnt have and now my car suffers the same grim situation.

I am going to try to staple the thing back to the board.

damn thats hi-tech! looks like **** but no more flappies!to get mine replaced 6 months ago.

Alexlind123
07-22-2006, 04:45 PM
WLS headliner material is too thick. It will cause your sunroof to break. You nee 1/8'', not 1/4'' material. Around my area, the cheapest new headliner was $475

632 Regal
07-22-2006, 07:18 PM
cost bout 3 cents to hook mine up with the staples, im sure it's not autorama anymore but I havent seen a '94 there in a couple years.

NY535iManual
07-23-2006, 12:14 AM
These guys are right - its impossible to clean off the headliner foam/glue for a clean fix. One cheap fix I tried on an e28 was to cut VERY SMALL incisions in the fabric in the droopy sections, spray in some 3M aerosol glue and re-stretch the fabric (Its a real bitch to hold it in place overhead while it dries). This held up the fabric okay, but looked a little lumpy and had some "waves" in it. Didn't smell great either. The only "right" fix is to "R&R," which is my most hated type of fix...

shogun
07-23-2006, 12:54 AM
I do not understand why you are all afraid of doing a headliner. That is a nice work on a Saturday afternoon. The first one took 8 hours, now I did some with sunroof, a 32 Highline even with the rear aircon in I was afraid I could not get out the headliner, but no problem. This Saturday I did 2 E31 850CsI, or better to say I instructed these guys while I was working on my car.
They bought the material from me. I had imported the material from Germany, 12 meters long, but on last Friday I ordered another 20 meters as many people want to have it done. I only order the same grey color as on my 750, as it is too difficult to order separately by each customers color.
Do not order the thicker material WLS has!!!, see remarks some posts before.

Instructions how to do, are on my website below.

Jay 535i
07-23-2006, 10:44 AM
Mine recently failed from my detailer doing something he shouldnt have

A little off-topic, but don't you f**kin' hate it when you PAY somebody to baby your car and they BREAK it!?

It's happened to me. My heart goes out to you, Jeff.

Bloody cack-handed rag monkies... :(

632 Regal
07-23-2006, 10:48 AM
i think he vacumed it but he says he didnt touch it...soo typical.

A little off-topic, but don't you f**kin' hate it when you PAY somebody to baby your car and they BREAK it!?

It's happened to me. My heart goes out to you, Jeff.

Bloody cack-handed rag monkies... :(

Jay 535i
07-23-2006, 10:55 AM
i think he vacumed it but he says he didnt touch it...soo typical.

I took my car in last month for a full detail, including interior shampoo. I drop by to pick up the car and find it idling with all the doors open. I pop my head in and see it's at full temp.

Me: How long as this been idling?
Them: Oh, about half an hour. We always do that to dry out the cars after a shampoo.

This is in a HOT, NO-BREEZE parking garage. ARG!!! I told them how bad that is, and they just looked at me like confused puppy dogs.

That's not the 'damage' I was referring to, though. That would be the time they burned through my paint with an orbital.

If you want something done right...

wjbell
07-23-2006, 11:20 AM
I took my car in last month for a full detail, including interior shampoo. I drop by to pick up the car and find it idling with all the doors open. I pop my head in and see it's at full temp.

Me: How long as this been idling?
Them: Oh, about half an hour. We always do that to dry out the cars after a shampoo.

This is in a HOT, NO-BREEZE parking garage. ARG!!! I told them how bad that is, and they just looked at me like confused puppy dogs.

That's not the 'damage' I was referring to, though. That would be the time they burned through my paint with an orbital.

If you want something done right...

So true.

Get this one... I take my car in to an indy to get the struts replaced. So I'm standing there at the door of the garage watching this guy do the work. (I don't trust anyone working on my car, for the following reasons) So he pulls the brakes, struts, etc and puts the new ones in. He lowers down my car and I'm thinking cool, brand new struts, can't wait to see how if feels.

So he washes up and starts my car. Now at this point I'm talking to another customer outside the shop door and not paying attention anymore. I glance over and my car's backing out so me and the guy talking shift over to one side and continue talking.

All of a sudden I hear my car hit like 4 grand in neutral and then frying the tires on the smooth shop floor. I looked over in horror as I see my car burning posi and slam into the workbench in front of it.

What -- the -- ****!

I couldn't do anything but grab my head and start walking down the street away from the shop. It was one of those things where you just saw it happen, but you still can't process it as reality.

After I calmed down a little the owner (he wasn't working on it) came out and talked to me and assured me that he has a top quality body shop and it will go in right away. It was a very reputable shop and even though the damage was minor (passenger side fender and slight curl on the hood) I told them I wanted all new OEM hood, fender and every single peice of trim that was damaged. The agreed and it cost close to 5 grand to fix it.

Aperently, what happened is that after he did the struts and pulled the brakes off, he didn't pump the brakes back up before putting it in gear. Who doesn't do this ever time you put a car in gear?! ESPSECIALLY after you pull the brakes off?! So when he was backing out and whent to apply the brakes, there was none. He paniced and tried to put it in neutral but missed neuatral and hit drive. Panicing again he tried to hit the brake again and his foot hit the edge of the brake pedal, slipped off and hammered the gas. Straight into the shop wall/bench!

Needless to say, I have trouble trusting any machanics, epecially when half are morons.

632 Regal
07-23-2006, 11:36 AM
holey ****! you win.

So true.

Get this one... I take my car in to an indy to get the struts replaced. So I'm standing there at the door of the garage watching this guy do the work. (I don't trust anyone working on my car, for the following reasons) So he pulls the brakes, struts, etc and puts the new ones in. He lowers down my car and I'm thinking cool, brand new struts, can't wait to see how if feels.

So he washes up and starts my car. Now at this point I'm talking to another customer outside the shop door and not paying attention anymore. I glance over and my car's backing out so me and the guy talking shift over to one side and continue talking.

All of a sudden I hear my car hit like 4 grand in neutral and then frying the tires on the smooth shop floor. I looked over in horror as I see my car burning posi and slam into the workbench in front of it.

What -- the -- ****!

I couldn't do anything but grab my head and start walking down the street away from the shop. It was one of those things where you just saw it happen, but you still can't process it as reality.

After I calmed down a little the owner (he wasn't working on it) came out and talked to me and assured me that he has a top quality body shop and it will go in right away. It was a very reputable shop and even though the damage was minor (passenger side fender and slight curl on the hood) I told them I wanted all new OEM hood, fender and every single peice of trim that was damaged. The agreed and it cost close to 5 grand to fix it.

Aperently, what happened is that after he did the struts and pulled the brakes off, he didn't pump the brakes back up before putting it in gear. Who doesn't do this ever time you put a car in gear?! ESPSECIALLY after you pull the brakes off?! So when he was backing out and whent to apply the brakes, there was none. He paniced and tried to put it in neutral but missed neuatral and hit drive. Panicing again he tried to hit the brake again and his foot hit the edge of the brake pedal, slipped off and hammered the gas. Straight into the shop wall/bench!

Needless to say, I have trouble trusting any machanics, epecially when half are morons.

calmloki
07-23-2006, 11:39 AM
YEAH!! All mechs are ham handed idiots bent on destroying our precious autos. Bastards! Sue them all and then shoot 'em. We all do so much better fixing our own single model/make/year cars. I know I'M perfect and never screw up. That's why i only take my car in so the mech can have the privilege of working on the things i can't do. Jerk better not overcharge me! And best have perfect knowledge of all makes and models, all systems, for the last 20 years or so.

They're people. Some are better at some things than me, some not. Some screw up stuff, some fix my screw ups.
Tom - used to make a living working on cars - found that buildings had lots fewer moving parts - went the easy route.

wjbell
07-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Found the images

BMW damage:
http://www.belletc.net/test/bmwcrash.jpg

After repair:

http://www.belletc.net/test/bmwfix1.jpg

http://www.belletc.net/test/bmwfix2.jpg