PDA

View Full Version : Carry on, fix the gearbox, or sell the car??

Traian
07-22-2006, 01:28 PM
I have a dilemma, I don't know how to waste my money faster. My car has a gearbox problem, it is the 5 speed 5HP30 auto box. The car has about 270000 km now. It was shifting gradually less smoothly over the last year, and had a bit of a whine on 1-2 and 2-3 shifts right after cold startup. General consensus, including a pretty confident suggestion by Kirt Koeller (who is a really nice fellow btw) was that the fluid, filter and gasked had to be changed. I did that (to the tune of nearly $450 ACK!!!), but the car shifts identically, and now the whine persists even after the car is warmed up (although it is definitely a lot quieter cold). The shop who did the change told me that the fluid was really dark and looked pretty burnt to boot, when I asked they told me they didn't think the 'box had much life left in her.

So I don't know what to do. Keep driving the car, ignore the worsening shifts and whines and live free? Look for more solutions? Sell the car, get a manual? Look for a replacement transmission? I like option 3 a lot, but I'm afraid I wouldn't get much for my car now, and if that would be the case, then I'd have less money to work with buying another than I did when I bought this one 16 months ago. Also, I just purchased a Sachs suspension kit for her a few months ago, which is waiting in my garage for my return. Lastly, and most of all, I have a lot of sentimental value for my car hehe, in 16 months she's seen me through A LOT!

Jay 535i
07-22-2006, 01:35 PM
Replace the transmission, IMHO. Convert to a manual if you want. Either way, it will be less than the cost of replacing the car when all's said and done. Buy quality used parts.

If you buy a 'new' used car at, say, $8000, the cost of the sales tax alone will nearly equal the cost of fixing your car.

Not to pick on you personally or anything, but I hear this all the time. Somebody says, "oh jeez, my car needs $1000 worth of work -- I think I'll just replace it" ... at a cost many times more than $1000.

If you don't like your car, by all means get rid of it. But if you like it and there's only a couple things wrong with it, repairing will be cheaper than replacing every time. Good-condition used parts for these cars are so common that you should be able to keep your car running indefitely for less than the cost of leasing a new Honda Civic.

That's my two cents. Good luck.

Traian
07-22-2006, 01:44 PM
Ah no mate, it's no worries, I appreciate the advice. Prob is, I have $1000 and don't mind spending it to set things right, but is this a 1K job? And if I do go the hell-with-it-fix-it-till-I'm-broke road, shall I do a rebuild or try to find a used gearbox or one of those cheap eBay knockoffs? Would love a swap hehe, but a couple of shops who've done 540 jobs in the past quoted me dizzying amounts.

Jay 535i
07-22-2006, 01:47 PM
First off, let me state very clearly that I'm NOT among the most knowledgeable/experienced people around here, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

I think you can get a good used genuine BMW transmission for $500, plus $500 for installation. So, yes, a $1000 job. Perhaps a rebuild is the same price, in which case that might be a good idea because you'll know the condition of the tranny, whereas a used tranny is a bit of an unknown.

I would think that a conversion to manual would be another $1000, but I'm not up to speed on the prices or availability of that six-speed tranny.

If you're interested in a conversion and want a quote, try these guys:

http://theeurodepot.com/specials.html

The prices listed there include EVERYTHING you need to convert to a manual (although the price for a 540 isn't listed -- you have to call). I think they charge $800 for installation, which is probably what anyone would charge, give or take.

Eric Clark
07-22-2006, 01:51 PM
Talk to JTeeples540i. He faced this same option and will probably advise you to just replace it with a manual. If I remember correctly installing his 6 speed was not much more then the auto. If I owned the car I'd drive it till it blows and save up to do the manual swap.

tim s
07-22-2006, 02:59 PM
it shifts perfect. most of the time i would not even notice it shifted if i did not hear the engine to watch the tack it is that smooth. i still wish i had a manual though, but such is life & this is what i could find in my price range at the time.
if you like the car, fix it.
tim s.

Alexlind123
07-22-2006, 03:10 PM
$450 for a fluid, filter and gasket change? Next time, bring it to me and i will do it for $200 =D

angrypancake
07-22-2006, 05:40 PM
where's johntee540? he had a 6 speed swapped in, done by Whit.

Evan
07-22-2006, 06:17 PM
sell or part it out and get into one with half the mileage...