PDA

View Full Version : Noob question on lowering my car.

vuyodaddy
07-21-2006, 04:00 PM
So my car has 120k miles on it. I've been wanting to lower it, but I've recieved a bit of advice/criticism from some people.

*My brother, who is very protective of my car for some reason, told me I shouldn't lower it since it's an old car it will have old shocks which is a bad combo, and that it will mess with the alignment.

*My friend advises that I should get rims first (17"-18") and then see if I still want to lower it. He also added that lowering your car with stock 15's is "gay".

Anyone have any experience with any of this? Thanks.

liquidtiger720
07-21-2006, 04:11 PM
If you lower your car, get some new shocks too, that solves your brothers bad combo problem.

Is it more gay to have a low car with small rims, or have big rims that with stock suspension, which makes it look like you have a 4x4? Hmmm. Suspension first buddy.

filip00
07-21-2006, 04:34 PM
i suggest definitely buying new shocks when buying springs, if you only change springs, the shocks will lose their function in less than 1k miles.

i also suggest switching to 17".

infinity5
07-21-2006, 04:50 PM
I think the wheel well gap looks about 10million times "gayer" than the tasteful if not conservative stock wheels... Not to mention good suspension won't break the bank, good rims+tires might though... depending on what you like

angrypancake
07-21-2006, 04:57 PM
lowering your car on stock 15" is not gay at all. the ride is a bit better imo.... go with shocks and springs, then get the wheels. 17 or 18" is your choice, my vote is 18" :) but then again I'm biased. make sure you buy the BEST tires you can afford.

the shocks will lose their function in less than 1k miles.

that's a myth, no?

Paul in NZ
07-21-2006, 04:59 PM
its not the gap because if you get the right tyre rim combo the outside diameter is the same,so the gap between the tyre and the guard remain the same regardless of wheel size.

Macv
07-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Exactly what I thought Paul. I would definately go with shocks/springs over wheels. The same gap will be there regardless of wheel. 18 wont fill up the gap any better than 17. I have 17 and really wish it was lowered.

Alexlind123
07-21-2006, 06:00 PM
You will want new springs and shocks when you lower it. If possible, obtain an adjustable camber kit for the rear, im not sure if they are even available for the e34 yet though.

My car is lowered with stock 15s. I dont think it looks gay

http://servo.postverket.us/alex/noob2.JPG

filip00
07-21-2006, 06:05 PM
it's not a myth at all. if you lower your car, using lowering springs, and leaving the shocks STOCK, then it will only work okay if lowering up to -35mm. everything lower is making the shocks work their way unnaturally, and it will cause them to fail.

saj3n
07-21-2006, 06:06 PM
To play devils advocate, I understand the "want" for the wheels. imo, you will get more atttention/bragging rights, with better looks, when you upgrade the wheels. I received 300% + attention after putting the wheels on, had everyone admiring. The wheels did add a bit of performance value as well, due to the size of the bigger tires.

However, the entire time I had the wheels on, I COULDN'T WAIT till I could get it lowered. And once I did, COMPLETE bliss. Not only does it look 100 times better than before it was lowered, handling is superb! Makes me feel like the "king of the world" when overtaking cars at ease on corners, or when I chuckle at the 35mph yellow caution sign showing a truck in hte process of tipping on its side, while I glance down and see my speedometer at 50+mph, and no loss of control.

So to answer your question.. DO BOTH! :-D

Shop around, do some research for the best wheels and tires of your liking and performance/safety value, while also setting aside some funds for the suspension upgrade (including springs & shocks). Do it all at once. Everyone, including you, will be very happy! :-D

BillionPa
07-21-2006, 11:34 PM
dinan makes a good rear camber kit for the E34s

speaking of yellow signs ... {25mph}... spedo says 68mph :D

get bigger swaybars when you do the lowering, it makes it so much more fun!

Qube
07-22-2006, 12:49 AM
Never ever get plus size wheels before lowering the car! No matter how cool your wheels look, the fender gap will make it 10x more stupid looking.

shuriken
07-22-2006, 01:30 AM
Lower the car first, but get an adjustable camber kit for the rear, my tyres were shot in 8k! And when it comes to wheels choose carefully. Get correct off set and no more than 8j width on the fronts (all round). I had 8 1/2 Jx18 and they rubbed on the strut (very lightly). The E34 just looks sooo good lowered.:D

vuyodaddy
07-22-2006, 10:16 AM
Thanks a lot guys!

So it seems that if I do lower, I'll have to buy shocks too, a camber kit, and a rear sway bar. And when that's done, I can work on the tires and wheels. Great way to blow $500 eh? If that is even enough...

Really though, thanks for all the advice. I'll definitely look into this. Any recommendations on value priced shock/spring combos or maybe even coilovers (KYB AGX)?

Alexlind123
07-22-2006, 11:22 AM
Thanks a lot guys!

So it seems that if I do lower, I'll have to buy shocks too, a camber kit, and a rear sway bar. And when that's done, I can work on the tires and wheels. Great way to blow $500 eh? If that is even enough...

Really though, thanks for all the advice. I'll definitely look into this. Any recommendations on value priced shock/spring combos or maybe even coilovers (KYB AGX)?

You dont need a rear sway bar

saj3n
07-22-2006, 11:31 AM
Ehh... I would go with Eibach Springs, KYB Struts are value priced also.

jbraswell
07-22-2006, 12:51 PM
I would go with eibachs or H&R's. My dad has H&R's on his e30 and they are very nice. As far as shocks go, with a stiffer spring like the eibachs or H&R's koni's would probably be your best bet, although you could get away with bilstein sports..those are not cheap though, you are going to spend about 550 for konis and IIRC about 350 for bilsteins. KYB's are a good value but are not as good a shock as the above mentioned

BillionPa
07-22-2006, 03:44 PM
there is a difference between need and want.

you want bigger swaybars to control body roll.

you NEED a bigger rear bar if you get a bigger front bar and dont want increased understeer.