PDA

View Full Version : 1995 E34 - Dealer Can't Find the Radio Code

theonlyrealperson
07-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Hello - I've searched the Forums and I can't seem to find anything out about this.

I'm the proud new owner of a '95 525i with 88k on it - but the dealership I bought it from (non-BMW) didn't have the code for the radio. I was told by a BMW dealership that it was no big deal, all I had to do is drive down there and prove I owned the car, and the code was mine.

Problem was, when I got there they couldn't find the code for it. They wrote down the radio serial number and tried it with all three manufacturers (Alpine, Pioneer, and Blankpunkt) and no codes came up. They had four workers independently look at the serial number, write it down, and try it on the computer to make sure there wasn't any clerical errors. Nothing.

What is going on?!? If I have to get a new radio - where would I get a decent stock one cheap? (I want to keep the car as pure as possible).

Thanks! This is a great forum!

Eric Clark
07-21-2006, 04:57 PM
I'd try a different dealer. I have never heard of this problem. To find a replacement unit I'd look on ebay. It could also be a great time to upgrade to a CD43. I love mine and no one can tell it did not come with the car.

winfred
07-21-2006, 07:12 PM
call our local dealer at 225-754-1200 and ask for parts and then a radio code, give them the serial #, i've not seen a Blaupunkt in a us e34, you can tell a alpine from a pioneer by the smooth aluminum heat sink on the assend with a riveted on serial # where the pioneer has a ribbed sink and the serial # is printed on a .5" X 1.5" prone to fall off paper sticker

fkong777
07-22-2006, 12:18 AM
Maybe the head unit was not the original headunit that came with the car. I say screw it and get a aftermarket Headunit that plays MP3's and with a front Aux port. who ever needs cd changer any more.

theonlyrealperson
07-22-2006, 10:52 PM
Well, I went to a second dealer (the only other one in the Mpls/St.Paul area), and they got the same result. Do I just break down and buy another one? Is there anywhere else I can go? The radio is in decent shape, I'd hate to put money into something like that - when it can go other places in the car.

fkong777
07-22-2006, 11:24 PM
can they search serial number of the radio? or just vin?

$100-$150 will get you a much more modern headunit. one that will play MP3 on CD , with Aux port in front... maybe engine a usb port in the front. look on ebay there is a lot of deals.

Ausmpower
07-23-2006, 03:35 AM
Dealers can either go by the cars VIN or radio serial number.

If they can't find it using either of those methods chances are it was a replacement fitted by the PO or an old stock ebay special coded for another region, hence why a US dealer may not be able to find it for you.

P.m me the last 7 of your vin and I'll see what I can find out for you.

ThoreauHD
07-23-2006, 03:49 AM
Just stick a alpine mp3 player in there. It's black, costs, squat, and works perfectly.

winfred
07-23-2006, 08:31 AM
ill post some pics of why that's not always a good idea later

Just stick a alpine mp3 player in there. It's black, costs, squat, and works perfectly.

winfred
07-23-2006, 02:38 PM
**********s hit our yard friday and trashed our 840i shop toy that was parked in the warehouse for it's aftermarket headunit
http://members.cox.net/kitlou/****ed%20840.JPG
what looks like the obc in the console on the floor is just the face, the guts are scatered about the car with the rest of the hvac/shifter parts, they even ****ed up the shifter, it now faces the wrong way, the amusing part is there was and still is a bmw tool kit screwdriver in the console
http://members.cox.net/kitlou/****ed%20840i.JPG

off the top of my head with dealer parts about $2k on damages, because the boss didn't want to wait for me to fix the factory head unit and had the flunky install a aftermarket shitbag bait radio

ill post some pics of why that's not always a good idea later

jgardia
07-23-2006, 03:27 PM
I boutght a Clarion DXZ845 on ebay (about $200), which plays mp3s and looks like stock. also you can change the color to orange, and it looks like it's always been there. If you want, I can send you a picture (I have to return to my home to take it, and this will be on tuesday).

good luck,

Jose

theonlyrealperson
07-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Neither dealer searched by the VIN number, and I'm too much of a newbie to realize they could - otherwise I would've demanded it.

I'll look at the Clarion DXZ845, especially if you can change the color to orange. If you don't mind taking pictures that would be cool, otherwise I'll just eye it from pics on the internet.

Wow, they really did a number on that car, Winfred. Makes me cringe just thinking about it...

Thank you everyone!

jgardia
07-27-2006, 09:11 PM
Hi,
Here you have the pictures of my clarion DXZ845MC. I'm not very good at taking pictures, but I think it would help.

Cheers,

Jose

PS: I tried to put bigger pictures, but I'm not allwed. If you want, I can send them to your mail.

ILoveMPower
07-27-2006, 09:40 PM
Cool, that Clarion looks very nice with the stock amber lighting.

If you want better shots like that, just turn the flash off on your camera (the little lightning bolt)

-JK

Elekta
07-27-2006, 09:55 PM
If you do get the code, please for your sake write it in sharpie on the case of the radio, so you never have the problem again. I have changed out both my radio's with ebay ones, or had them rebuilt, and they all have the code written on the metal case.

theonlyrealperson
07-28-2006, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the pictures - that Clarion does look nice in there. I may have to do that for the upgrade...

I eventually just bought a radio from a boneyard and got the code for that one. It works ok - but it eats tapes and some of the pixels are always on. So, when I do go for the upgrade - I'll definitely look at that Clarion.

That's a good idea to write the code on the radio. I'll pull the radio out quick and do that.