PDA

View Full Version : zimmerman x-drilld & pagid pads

pyro
07-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Hey just thought I would say that the zimmerman x-drilld and pagid pads are a GRATE combo. Seems that there is more bite when first aplyd, and i can brake forever and havent have yet to have brake fade.

Qube
07-21-2006, 11:51 AM
And they said yellow calipers weren't any good :)

Nice wheels. All chrome must be a pain to keep clean!

I've got Zims with PBR ceramics and their dustier than I wanted.

pyro
07-21-2006, 11:57 AM
Yah its not the pad its the x drilld rotors that make all the dust, I cleand those rims in the morning and that pix was at lunch time. And the wheels are silver paint not chrome.

Qube
07-21-2006, 11:59 AM
Whoops. I thought they'd be chrome under the dust :) Bright silver is even better.

I keep a microfiber cloth to wipe the wheels now. It was only a buck so worth the investment.

NB: I notice you don't seem to have wheel locks... ;)

Alexlind123
07-21-2006, 12:22 PM
I have yet to experience brake fade with the stock brake setup.

632 Regal
07-21-2006, 12:55 PM
maybe our cars are too slow?
I have yet to experience brake fade with the stock brake setup.

shuriken
07-21-2006, 01:06 PM
German, Swedish and French in the UK recomend your set up, look good too, did you paint the caliper?

pyro
07-21-2006, 07:38 PM
Yah I ceramic painted the calipers with bbq paint. My stock rotors were had it WAY to thin (pad slaped once or twice with no change of rotors) so I had brake fade when slowing off the freeway from ~80 to 0...

Gayle
07-21-2006, 09:13 PM
Ok I have not asked a really clueless question in a long time.

Just what is brake fade?

Qube
07-21-2006, 09:28 PM
Usually either talk about pad fade, and to a lesser degree, fluid fade.

http://www.se-r.net/car_info/brake_performance.html

EDIT: I actually read the fade post up there and he's talking about the rotors. In this case, they overheat... see the link still.\

FROM WIKI:

In automobiles, fade, or brake fade is the reduction in stopping power caused by a buildup of heat in the braking surfaces (and in the case of drum brakes the change in dimension of components in response to heat; the curvature of the brake shoes then failing to match the curvature of the brake drum) . It occurs most often during high performance driving or when going down a long, steep hill. Owing to their configuration this is more prevalent in drum brakes. Disk brakes are much more resistant to brake fade and have come to be a standard feature in front brakes for most vehicles, although the brake rotors can become warped due to excessive heating. Fade can also be caused by the brake fluid boiling, gas is released and since gas is compressible you get a spongy pedal. This condition is worsened when there are contaminants in the fluid, such as water, which some types of brake fluids are prone to absorbing.

Brake fade and rotor warping can be reduced through proper braking technique; When running down a long downgrade that would require braking simply select a lower gear (for automatic transmissions this may necessitate a brief application of the throttle after selecting the gear). Also, periodic, rather than continuous application of the brakes will allow them to cool between applications. Continuous light application of the brakes can be particularly destructive in both wear and adding heat to the brake system.

Gayle
07-22-2006, 08:59 AM
Wow Qube. What an informative link.

As my car had zimmerman cross drilled roters and metal master pads when I bought it, I have read all the discussions about cross drilled funneling of the gas but never really got what that meant. I have also had knowledgaable people tell me my pads were eating my rotors and other knowledgeable people tell me nah. I have been concerned about the noisiness of my brakes. Have discussed all this with the indy who just says they are overkill for street driving, just wait till they wear out and replace them with something else. And I have read about bedding in brakes.

Now, for the first time, I understand all this. It all makes sense now. Thank you so much!

Jay 535i
07-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Ok I have not asked a really clueless question in a long time.

Just what is brake fade?

When I was 16 I took a friend's Honda Accord around the Toronto Indy track and was really hammering it. After two laps, I could press the brake pedal all the way to the floor with hardly any deceleration. THAT'S brake fade. :D

pyro
07-22-2006, 08:52 PM
So tonight I painted the hats black so they don't rust. HA got some paint on the rotor fase and when driveing it smelt like burning paint. I guess you can say lesson learnd!

Tiger
07-22-2006, 09:28 PM
If you switch from cross-drilled/slotted to regular rotors, you will be greatly disappointed in braking power... brake fade will be experienced.

Alexlind123
07-22-2006, 09:39 PM
If you switch from cross-drilled/slotted to regular rotors, you will be greatly disappointed in braking power... brake fade will be experienced.

I dont agree with that. Most cars on the road today do not have nearly the braking capability that e34s do. Under even aggressive driving on the road, an e34's OEM brakes will not fade unless something else is wrong with the braking system.

pyro
07-22-2006, 09:58 PM
you can fade any brakes no matter how good of condition they are in...

Alexlind123
07-22-2006, 10:36 PM
you can fade any brakes no matter how good of condition they are in...

Yes, but Tiger says ".. brake fade will be experienced." That is very misleading.

Qube
07-22-2006, 10:39 PM

Where exactly are you driving to push your brakes to the point of fade in daily driving!? Heh.

SC David
07-23-2006, 12:04 AM
I went on a very, very hot and long drive today, with temperatures hitting more than 115 degrees and never got any brake fading. I'm impressed with the brakes on the E34, but my ABS system could be modernized because there have been times when it has wrongfully interfered. It is especially noticeable immediately after slamming on the brakes while decelerating 80+mph.

pyro
07-23-2006, 12:21 AM
have you ever gone down a long hill?

Jay 535i
07-23-2006, 10:47 AM

I'm sure he has, but he probably downshifts to avoid cooking his brakes.

You're right: any brake will fade if you abuse it enough. But I think the point some of us are trying to make is that it's nearly impossible to abuse the E34's brakes that much without losing driving recklessly, so it doesn't happen.

If your brakes are fading on hills, you gotta downshift. Even the owner's manual tells you that.

Gayle
07-23-2006, 11:17 AM
I'm sure he has, but he probably downshifts to avoid cooking his brakes.

If your brakes are fading on hills, you gotta downshift. Even the owner's manual tells you that.

Spoken like the new owner of a manual transmission. :D

Jay 535i
07-24-2006, 11:20 AM
Spoken like the new owner of a manual transmission. :D

Tee hee.

It works in an auto, too, though.

FWIW, I've been driving a manual for eight years. It's just my BMW that's newly manualized. :D

Alexlind123
07-24-2006, 11:53 AM

Every day =D