PDA

View Full Version : DEPO Rear lights - globe connectors won't connect!

Yiorgos
07-21-2006, 02:53 AM
Hey everyone,

Got a set of DEPO rear euroclears, I got all excited and started unmounting my OEM lights to replace with these euroclears. I got the bulbs out with their little globe connectors that simply click in, tried to click them into the DEPO tail lights and they don't click in!

Short of smashing the DEPO light in frustration, I had a closer look and compared the guides in the hole where the globe goes through, and on the OEM the guide gives you less restriction when trying to click them in.

IE. OEMs go like this __/======, where the slanty bit allows you to turn the connector in a clockwise fashion, and when it goes to the === bit it's clicked in.

The DEPOs go like this ()=====, so it's impossible for the guides to do their work and assist you in clicking in the globe, since theres a big fat ball of plastic you have to overcome, which is nigh on impossible to do so without smashing the light on the ground and punting it across my garage.

Can you sense the frustration?

Anyone got any bloody ideas on how to get these bastards in? I've tried vasoline but that was before I inspected and compared both tail light assemblies.

EDIT: added pic -- apologies for dodgy techniques in Photoshop...

632 Regal
07-21-2006, 09:46 AM
depos suck man, can you dremmel the plastic part some? Wait til you get constant tail light errors and bust the **** up trying to get them to connect good. did I mention depos suck?

Qube
07-21-2006, 09:57 AM
Use a sharp knife and cut an edge on it.

Else, use a pair of locking pliers ;)

632 Regal
07-21-2006, 10:01 AM
or a hammer.

Use a sharp knife and cut an edge on it.

Else, use a pair of locking pliers ;)

Yiorgos
07-21-2006, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I was thinking a soldering iron, but some of these ideas are good too. I wasn't sure if a dremmel was a good idea, since the plastic flakes would litter the inside lens area and I don't really feel like filling that with glitter :D

Here are some high-res photos of the difference:
BMW OEM rear light globe cavity (http://users.on.net/~acherion/bmw/IMG_0381.jpg)
DEPO rear light globe cavity (http://users.on.net/~acherion/bmw/IMG_0380.jpg)

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to modify these to fit, but it seems like I have to. Oh well, I should have shopped around to find some Hellas instead, huh.

Paul in NZ
07-21-2006, 04:54 PM
what about a small flat file,there isnt much material to remove is there?

SC David
07-21-2006, 06:05 PM
Exact same fitment issues with mine. DO NOT try to force them in, when I did that the entire light cracked. I was pissed, but I'm finally getting a replacement light. I used a nail file, and was able to sand down that part until it was at the correct angle. I suggest this method because it's very easy to get one in there, and the shitty plastic will sand right off. Good luck!

weazman187
07-21-2006, 06:42 PM
haha , wow i just had the same problem, just grab a wrench or somthing you can grip the end of the bulb thing with and grip it and just twist, they poped right in, and then after that you can remove and put them back on with no problem,

oh and also i just got depo angel eyes, can anyone help me install them , cuz it says plug and play but i dunnooooooooooooooo.......haha

Qube
07-21-2006, 07:16 PM
haha , wow i just had the same problem, just grab a wrench or somthing you can grip the end of the bulb thing with and grip it and just twist, they poped right in, and then after that you can remove and put them back on with no problem,

oh and also i just got depo angel eyes, can anyone help me install them , cuz it says plug and play but i dunnooooooooooooooo.......haha

WAIT! BEFORE YOU INSTALL THEM! http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=24115

632 Regal
07-21-2006, 07:36 PM
man thats a great observation! I didnt even know what them little pictures represented but now I do...lol. I still like the hammer

just today my "depo" projecter fogs got a bulb error, something about 20,000 holes in them. what a bunch of crap man.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I was thinking a soldering iron, but some of these ideas are good too. I wasn't sure if a dremmel was a good idea, since the plastic flakes would litter the inside lens area and I don't really feel like filling that with glitter :D

Here are some high-res photos of the difference:
BMW OEM rear light globe cavity (http://users.on.net/~acherion/bmw/IMG_0381.jpg)
DEPO rear light globe cavity (http://users.on.net/~acherion/bmw/IMG_0380.jpg)

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to modify these to fit, but it seems like I have to. Oh well, I should have shopped around to find some Hellas instead, huh.

Yiorgos
07-22-2006, 06:24 AM
Just a quick question, probably aimed more towards SC David, but also to anyone else out there that might know.

This problem with the rear tail light I have been experiencing (I'll probably go along the nail file route, seems easiest to me), should I prepare for any other nasties or gotchas? I have the side markers and front indicators, I know that front indicators can be a b*tch to install physically, however would I have problems with clicking in globes, or is it only the rears that have this type of problem?

Cheers guys, all of your comments have been helpful, humorous and sometimes even both. Much appreciated, I love this forum so much!

632 Regal
07-22-2006, 09:52 AM
the rears are the worst, get some stabilent 22 or similar for the contacts or you will get tail light errors all the time.

Qube
07-22-2006, 09:53 AM
The rears are the easiest to install, in my opinion. The only thing you need to worry about the fronts is that the connectors are probably brittle and will break without much force. The tails, since it's 'sealed off' is in much better condition. BTW the fronts just clip on and not twist.

Mendozart
07-22-2006, 11:52 AM
I remember having to use a small file on mine. I also bent the metal tabs out a little to make better electrical connection.

Jay 535i
07-22-2006, 12:23 PM
I remember having to use a small file on mine. I also bent the metal tabs out a little to make better electrical connection.

Ditto. Ten minutes with a little file did the trick for me.

But I still haven't solved the problem of the passenger-side taillight working only intermittently, with no error indication on the OBC. Strange...

SC David
07-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Just a quick question, probably aimed more towards SC David, but also to anyone else out there that might know.

This problem with the rear tail light I have been experiencing (I'll probably go along the nail file route, seems easiest to me), should I prepare for any other nasties or gotchas? I have the side markers and front indicators, I know that front indicators can be a b*tch to install physically, however would I have problems with clicking in globes, or is it only the rears that have this type of problem?

Cheers guys, all of your comments have been helpful, humorous and sometimes even both. Much appreciated, I love this forum so much!
I have had no elecrical issues with mine, only the fitment which was easily solved. If you have any electrical gremlins, it looks like there is already some solid advice, but hopefully you'll end up lucky like me.

Mendozart
07-22-2006, 03:34 PM
Also be careful of the bulbs that come with the lights. I ended up switching them all out.

Ausmpower
07-23-2006, 04:45 AM
This is why the oem bmw CLEARS ARE A MUCH BETTER OOPTION!.

30 mins to install all 6 lamps, plug and play no CCM issues either....

I hate EBAY specials.

Jay 535i
07-23-2006, 10:41 AM
This is why the oem bmw CLEARS ARE A MUCH BETTER OOPTION!.

If you ignore price, yes, they are.

But for many of us, the choice is not between DEPO clears and BMW clears, but between DEPO clears and nothing. We're on a budget, man!

Ausmpower
07-23-2006, 01:44 PM
Did all 6 on mine for $400 Aus...... Would have cost $500 retail.

Not that expensive really.

Yiorgos
07-24-2006, 03:13 AM
Installed them today. Took some before and after shots for my blog too: http://acherion.com/blog/?p=56

The fronts were real bastards IMO -- the side where the alternator air intake shroud is (passenger side in Australia, driver side outside of the Commonwealth) was incredibly difficult -- finding the friggen hole to put the screw in! Right now there's only two holding that side's indicator.

I also copped DIP LIGHT errors (before I realised that this was due to me unplugging the parking light harnesses for easier access) and one of the bulbs that came with the package weren't working at all. When I went to buy some at the local auto parts store, I wasn't concentrating 100% and got some sort of asymmetrical bayonet lights, which of course don't connect into the globe connectors.

Other than that, I think they look great. Thanks once again for everyone who contributed.

Oh, almost forgot. I used a soldering iron and melted the hard-edge plastic for the tail lights, worked very well. Had all six holes done in about 10 minutes, and there's no filed plastic or any mess.

I'll add in the rear trunk lid reflector when my car's clean to complete the rear look :D