PDA

View Full Version : Interior Colors - Paints

The Melmaan
07-20-2006, 11:13 PM
My E34 has beige color interior and I'm a bit tired of it because it is not exiting to me anymore, quite dull. I'm thinking about adding some spice on it like the stuff that you see on car shows, loud colors with lights and all.
Has anybody out there ever ventured out to color the leather seats, door panels and dash?
My idea is to use vinyl and fabric paints for the panels and leather coloring paint for the seats.
Can someone out there give me some pointers, suggestions, what ever, before I start making a mess?

angrypancake
07-20-2006, 11:16 PM
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9759/2180138lm.jpg

black/red door panels... came out surprisingly well. I redid the dash and stuff black and assorted other panels. For seats and such I'm yard/ebay hunting for black carpet and seats.

The Melmaan
07-20-2006, 11:28 PM
Looks great !!!

wingman
07-20-2006, 11:41 PM
I've heard horror stories of using cheap interior paints. I can't head you in the right direction but definately stay away from the bottom shelf stuff if you want it to last. There are a few cars in my town with painted interiors and they are peeling and flaking and look really bad and that's only looking from through the window. It's not my kind of thing but good luck and keep us updated!

angrypancake
07-20-2006, 11:43 PM
talk it over with people who know what they're doing, that's my best advice for you. go to a shop that specializes in interiors, and shoot the **** with them.

Felixdacat
07-21-2006, 04:29 PM
I have done this many of times. What I will say is....TAKE YOUR TIME. Clean every inch of vinyl, and leather. The seats will take a few coats of dye. You would be better off getting new leather, or some of the new vinyls that really look like leather, and alot less expensive, and recovering them. The panels need to be cleaned really well to get all of the grease, dirt and grime off, and then primer first. Cleaning and priming first will reduce the possibility of flaking. USE A HIGH QUALITY VINYL DYE.

The Melmaan
07-24-2006, 09:52 PM
thanks for all of the thoughts