PDA

View Full Version : Running Cold

stx133
07-20-2006, 05:58 PM
my 94 540 seems to run cold on the freeways. while doing 100kph on the freeway when ambient is below 10 deg c the temp needle sits in the blue. when i stop in traffic it slowly rises to half and sits nicely.
this means that i have next to no heating while fwy driving. it was 0 deg c this morning. not nice...
any comments? is is possible the thermostat is not closing or somting similar. one mechanic i spoke to said that the cooling system on the bmw is different than local (australian) built cars ad opperates differently, ie: no surge tank, holds pressure when cold....

gtopaul
07-20-2006, 06:02 PM
my 94 540 seems to run cold on the freeways. while doing 100kph on the freeway when ambient is below 10 deg c the temp needle sits in the blue. when i stop in traffic it slowly rises to half and sits nicely.
this means that i have next to no heating while fwy driving. it was 0 deg c this morning. not nice...
any comments? is is possible the thermostat is not closing or somting similar. one mechanic i spoke to said that the cooling system on the bmw is different than local (australian) built cars ad opperates differently, ie: no surge tank, holds pressure when cold....
Most likely thermostat stuck open. replace

Paul

rob101
07-20-2006, 06:05 PM
same here, i'd suspect thermostat complications.
there is a quick test if you open the bonnet with the needle just inside the blue i think the top radiator hose should be cold NOT hot. although i am not too sure but i have the same issue as well.

F4Phantom
07-20-2006, 06:20 PM
i had that exact problem, it was the thermostat jammed open.

brosher
07-20-2006, 06:33 PM
Sounds like t-stat stuck open like others said, get a new one. If that doesn't help you may have a t-stat that is opening at too low a temp.