PDA

View Full Version : Front AC duct removal

sbihue
07-20-2006, 08:59 AM
Hi,

This is what i am up against I just purchased a 95/525i(M50) and am trying to get to the mods/issues one at a time
First one is to replace the OBC. The prev owner has a custom headunit installed in place of the stock radio. I have tried hard but cannot even budge it, let alone move. Since i am trying to get he existiong OBC off i reckoned the next best thing would be to remove the center ac duct and access the area from the top and get it out. It is proving to be quite a challenge in itself.
I do not have a manual but figured it must have benn held by some tabs. I opened the TOP grill and am able to feel ONE tab toward the bottom drivers side. There got to be some more
Any easier way to get it out.
Alternatively any way i can get the freakin HU out (i dont know when & who installed it).
Tried to search didn't come up against much
If some one has done this, pl. let me know. This will also be a precursor to my replacing the entire DASH as the current one is pretty much baked & sun-burnt

Thanks
Steve

632 Regal
07-20-2006, 09:02 AM
see the link...bookmark it

http://www.bimmernut.com/wwwboard/e34/si.html

thats where your going to get answers.

neil_004
07-20-2006, 12:12 PM
you will have to get the radio out to get the OBC out. Most aftermarket radios have tabs on the sides that lock the radio into a carrier. You will need to thin strips of metal if this is the case. Once the radio is out the obc is as easy as fliping a switch.

sbihue
07-20-2006, 12:49 PM
you will have to get the radio out to get the OBC out. Most aftermarket radios have tabs on the sides that lock the radio into a carrier. You will need to thin strips of metal if this is the case. Once the radio is out the obc is as easy as fliping a switch.

Getting the radio out is proving to be very tough. It is a pioneer DEH model and i could not even budge it y'day. Will try to use butter knives today and see.

If i cant then i will have to go the top way. Search on the borad wasn't much help but I found out this link to remove the center vent

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_37.htm

Espen
07-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Pioneer uses the patent neil explained.

Your best shot would be to get the tool that comes with the HU, a pioneer dealer would proberbly sell you one..

sbihue
07-20-2006, 01:33 PM
Pioneer uses the patent neil explained.

Your best shot would be to get the tool that comes with the HU, a pioneer dealer would proberbly sell you one..

I see what you mean. The pioneer unit is supposed to come with TWO extraction keys (one for either side) and 1 release pin.
Obviously i dont have those so have to either buy one or go to some installer and see if they could help.

Thanks

SnakeyesTx
07-20-2006, 02:36 PM
I just put a Pioneer DEH-850P in mine. It uses a typical "cage" for single din stereos. Basically the cage went in first and the PO bent the tabs outwards to lock it in. They're pretty hard to get out once the stereo is clipped in since the beauty ring covers the cage, and the clearance of the cage itself to the bimmer dash is super tight. I *thought* I locked mine down, but the first time I had to pull the radio back out the cage came out with it. The darn tabs bent back inward to release itself >:O

So.. basically, I gotta go back outside and do the opposite of what you want to do, but in your case, the PO musta locked them tabs down good.