PDA

View Full Version : head gasket question

slupregime
07-19-2006, 09:42 PM
i am looking @ buying a 1991 750il with bioth head gaskets popped . how much of a apin in the ass is it to do these since there is not much room in the engine compartment

Ausmpower
07-20-2006, 04:25 AM
BOTH head gaskets???

I'd be asking myself how the rest of the motor is....Cracked block, cracked heads......Bores etc.

What caused the double failure??

slupregime
07-22-2006, 10:01 AM
would there really be a craked block on this i have heard that if 1 blows the other one will beacause of the overheating issue? and like i said is this a real pain in the ass to do or just a normal BMW pain in the ass

632 Regal
07-22-2006, 10:05 AM
this is a Showgun question.

piman
07-22-2006, 11:28 AM
Dump in Block Seal (ghetto fix). The stuff can't be diss'd. I love the stuff. 12K and no leaks. $15 fix voila.

632 Regal
07-22-2006, 11:37 AM
yah but thats cheating.

Dump in Block Seal (ghetto fix). The stuff can't be diss'd. I love the stuff. 12K and no leaks. $15 fix voila.

pundit
07-22-2006, 05:24 PM
i am looking @ buying a 1991 750il with bioth head gaskets popped . how much of a apin in the ass is it to do these since there is not much room in the engine compartment
You forget to mention the pain in the wallet! ;)

632 Regal
07-22-2006, 05:40 PM
money is no object.

Ausmpower
07-23-2006, 04:41 AM
If money is no object junk the 5.0 and find a v10........

The reality is that would have been a major melt down to pop both heads.

How's the bottom end? coolant corosion doesn't take long to etch the bearings.

slupregime
07-23-2006, 07:47 PM
im looking to buy the car still havent yet but there is another same year with a french fried trans so i am thinking of a engine swap first and work on the blown head gasket @ my leasure i am planning all of this to do myself so money is kinda an issue but not really either

piman
10-28-2007, 07:48 PM
280KM and getto fix still working.

Ross
10-29-2007, 09:47 AM
The mere mention of money being an issue tells me you shouldn't start this project.
The swap is a better idea if you swap the trans, not the motor. Unless these are otherwise VERY nice cars, which I presume to be unlikely, forget it.
Typical V-12 BMWs experience as lifecycle like this:
First wealthy owner uses until the fashion changes and may or may not have taken care of it.
Second enthusiast owner lavishes love and attention on it, catching up to any deferred maintenance issues. Eventually he tires of it or is faced with another round of expensive issues and sells it off at a price affordable to almost anyone.
Third owner, the bargain shopper. This guy now has the implied status of a top line car but with no means or intention of maintaining it. When the glow wears off and the problems mount it sold off to...
The POOR enthusiast, me, perhaps you too. This guy figures he can do all the work himself to bring the car back to it's former glory. After thousands spent and countless hours wrenching the car ends up running well but still looks and feels tired, hence a disappointment and sold at a huge loss.
After two I've abandoned hope.