PDA

View Full Version : Wheel wobble

Holland
07-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Recently I noticed a strang feeling while driving my '88 525i, it feels like a wheel is loose. Took it to a shop to have front inspected but they could'nt find anything, balljoints where ok according to them.

Took it to another shop and inspected it myself with the mechanic, whe noticed that the sway bar links where worn, they move about 5-10 mm on one side, other side had also a bit of play.

Steering links feel ok, no play or worn rubbers.

Ordered lemforders today at the local parts dealer.

My question what do these sway bar links do and what's the effect on handling if they er worn, I know that these are the cause of some clunk noises which i also experience.

Hope to get an answer from the experts here.

dafuzzymuff
07-19-2006, 01:37 PM
Thrust arms are gone just fix that problem on my car, remember when installing them they have to be installed under load

MTV
07-19-2006, 02:17 PM
Thrust arms are gone just fix that problem on my car, remember when installing them they have to be installed under load

Just got the same problem and was planning to fix it over the weekend. What do you mean by having it installed under load? Thanks in advance.:)

BillionPa
07-19-2006, 03:46 PM
double check the brake caliper guide bolts, when one of mine came off and the other was finger loose, it felt like the wheel was gonna fall off even though the wheel was fine.

being installled under load means that when you tighten the nuts and bolts connecting the thrust arm to the car, that the wheel be on the ground or on ramps and not floating in the air.

Holland
07-19-2006, 04:12 PM
double check the brake caliper guide bolts, when one of mine came off and the other was finger loose, it felt like the wheel was gonna fall off even though the wheel was fine.

being installled under load means that when you tighten the nuts and bolts connecting the thrust arm to the car, that the wheel be on the ground or on ramps and not floating in the air.

Did'nt you feel this while using the breakes or heard any noises ?

BillionPa
07-19-2006, 05:27 PM
when i hit the brakes the problem wasnt there. the only way i narrowed it down was my kicking the wheels and hearing a vibration, looked underneath, no guide pin!