PDA

View Full Version : Help with Hiding wires from Head Unit for Aux or ext components

530iNoir
07-18-2006, 09:48 PM
I have replaced the stock head unit/cassette deck, and now want to bring RCA connectors from the head unit to play an Ipod or external component. I pulled the headunit, and plugged in the connectors, but there is no room to run wires from headunit into the cabin (for example the center console beside the parking brake). There is not room behind the headunit etc. Any tricks that will help out there?

gmannino
07-19-2006, 02:21 AM
Just pull down a set of rca's or headphone jack wire from behind the radio down toward either the drivers side or the passenger side of the radio. I usually go thru the drivers side but you can also pull the cables toward and into the glovebox or ipod installations. If you need help, put a drop-light under the dash and look for the light through the radio opening.
If your looking to run the wire down the center console, then you will have to take it apart and run it under the console, across or under the carpet.

530iNoir
07-19-2006, 09:19 AM
Thanks, for the help. My headunit also has video in and outs that allows for monitors, or portable dvd for backseat passengers. I may look into taking that center console to run the video wire once I decide on where and how I will install the additional monitor. Flip down or on a stand on the center console, between the front seats.

PS. I checked out some of the projects (MMobile) the Accura is going to be impressive soundwise! Didn't see any E34 projects.. I will keep looking

gmannino
07-19-2006, 12:39 PM
The motor in that car blew, so that project is long over. I will be installing the same equipment into my e34. I will post pics for everyone to see, step by step. I will also be fabricating enclosures for the 6 inch woofer in the kickpanels and fiberglassing the 5.25 inch mids into the door. I will be buying the Eclipse CD 7000 deck, so it will be fun. I should be starting it soon...

saj3n
07-19-2006, 03:43 PM
... I will also be fabricating enclosures...

Would you be able to create a box for me for the 2 Alpine SWR-1242D's? (Specs on crutchfield) I want something that looks real nice for the rear of the e34, as well as a strong, deep, clear sounding box. If you could provide an estimate, that'd be great

Espen
07-19-2006, 05:52 PM
My Aux cable:

http://www.pyrabel.net/eksternt/upload/upload/shiftersurrounding.jpg

gmannino
07-19-2006, 06:38 PM
Would you be able to create a box for me for the 2 Alpine SWR-1242D's? (Specs on crutchfield) I want something that looks real nice for the rear of the e34, as well as a strong, deep, clear sounding box. If you could provide an estimate, that'd be great

I can build you an enclosure, the only thing is I live in the SF bay area, so unless you live there also, shipping will be outragous in price. If you do live near me, then we can arrange a pickup of the box.
Also, think of what you want it to look like? Do you want me to just create something or do you have a design in mind?

saj3n
07-19-2006, 07:15 PM
I can build you an enclosure, the only thing is I live in the SF bay area, so unless you live there also, shipping will be outragous in price. If you do live near me, then we can arrange a pickup of the box.
Also, think of what you want it to look like? Do you want me to just create something or do you have a design in mind?

Ouch, good point... Yea, I'm directly across the US from you in PA. Shucks... I guess I might have to go a different route. Would've preferred having a member build one.

saj3n
07-19-2006, 07:16 PM
My Aux cable:

http://www.pyrabel.net/eksternt/upload/upload/shiftersurrounding.jpg

I like this wiring setup.