PDA

View Full Version : OT : Jaguar forum ?

Zeuk in Oz
07-18-2006, 09:42 PM
A friend of mine will be inheriting a '88 Jaguar XJ (3.6) soon.

Any recommended forums ?

Yeah, Yeah, I know. I've said it all already.

Only 40,000 original kms, 1 owner. Full dealer service history !

I believe brakes are an issue on this model. Any other input ?

shogun
07-18-2006, 09:56 PM
http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/
http://forums.jag-lovers.org/
2 of many on the net.
I hope he has not that much mechanical probs. One of my neighbours has a nice looking Jag E cabriolet, but the oil in the parking lot underneath the car of the car would worry me.

Zeuk in Oz
07-19-2006, 01:00 AM
Thanks Erich.
Had found the first one - but the second one seems like a good thing. :)

myles
07-19-2006, 03:48 AM
the jag lovers forum is the go. I have a mate that had an 88 xj40 xj6, now has an 88 series 3 damiler double six.

I don't recall the brakes being a problem on the 40, rust was the biggest problem. All round poor design was its other big problem.

genphreak
07-19-2006, 08:11 AM
the jag lovers forum is the go. I have a mate that had an 88 xj40 xj6, now has an 88 series 3 damiler double six.

I don't recall the brakes being a problem on the 40, rust was the biggest problem. All round poor design was its other big problem.Amazing how good a car can be when english engineers decide to show the Germans what's what.

It is ironic that the design concept was the only thing that it had going for it; that the engineering was the reason why it ultimately died such a long, pained amd miserable death.

Even Ford knows it can improve on it.... hand over fist. :D

myles
07-19-2006, 04:11 PM
Its funny you mention ford. I work with a local jag club member. He has told me some funny stories about the jag assembly line defacing the ford logo on transmissions during the assembly of new x and s(s for shite) types. Local mechanics have found several such examples and shared their amusement with the club members.

He has moved on to a german car for his daily driver, but still loves (and loves to hate) his old series 2 and 420.