PDA

View Full Version : Good Deal?

Jehu
07-18-2006, 08:10 PM
Is this a good deal for good quality products? I live pretty nearby the seller so i could pick them up . I have a very slight bit of wiggle under hard braking from high speeds, doesn't do it for the entire stopping distance, but its consistantly there when i first apply brakes coming down from highway speeds and I assume its a warped rotor.Will the slotting wear pads out like crazy? Sounds like it ..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E34-540-Cross-Drilled-Slotted-Rotors-F-R-W-Pads_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33564QQihZ005QQite mZ150012337414QQrdZ1QQtcZphoto#ebayphotohosting

Kalevera
07-18-2006, 08:22 PM
Well, the only good reason for buying slotted or drilled rotors is for cosmetics, so it'll probably be cheaper and smarter to get the OEM brembos/balos.

Brake induced shimmy, however slight, can be caused by any number of things. I find that it's usually a loose steering component if it's not an obvious control arm issue. Warped rotors can often be felt when braking from any speed, but that can also depend on how badly warped they are, buildup of rust on the friction surfaces, things of this nature.

best, whit

Jehu
07-18-2006, 08:37 PM
Well, the only good reason for buying slotted or drilled rotors is for cosmetics, so it'll probably be cheaper and smarter to get the OEM brembos/balos.

Brake induced shimmy, however slight, can be caused by any number of things. I find that it's usually a loose steering component if it's not an obvious control arm issue. Warped rotors can often be felt when braking from any speed, but that can also depend on how badly warped they are, buildup of rust on the friction surfaces, things of this nature.

best, whit
http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rearpassdl2.jpg

well i do have fairly open wheels but i;m not sure i need the look. They really don't substanitially increase lifespan or perfomance?

ThoreauHD
07-18-2006, 08:45 PM
As I've read, the holes/slots are for expelling gases when braking at very high speeds. It decreases lifespan and increases performance if you are braking in a race.

If your brakes aren't typically glowing hot from 100 mph deceleration, odds are you don't need'em.

As for cosmetics, I don't know. I don't look at rotors when I see a E34. If it makes you feel better, then go for it. If you want something that will last, get the OE rotors and pads.

Jehu
07-18-2006, 08:52 PM
Thanks, haven't gotten the rotors to glow yet but there's always tomorrow :)OEM should be good enough. maybe i'll get 'em cryo'ed...

Mr Project
07-18-2006, 09:41 PM
As I've read, the holes/slots are for expelling gases when braking at very high speeds. It decreases lifespan and increases performance if you are braking in a race.

What the holes improve is the likelyhood that the rotors will crack around the holes if they are put through any severe use. Like road-course racing, for instance. Or anything that would make the rotors 'glow while stopping from 100MPH'.