PDA

View Full Version : OT: Finally gave in, new Alpine Subs

saj3n
07-18-2006, 04:13 PM
After debating for about a year, I've finally decided on a pair of subs to complete my cars system. Just need to pickup the box and amp. Maybe i'll wait till next friday to get the rest of the equipment before I install. MSRP on the subs $200 each... 1500 Watts peak, 200 - 500 RMS. After reading the ratings and reviews for months, the responses pushed me over the edge to getting these.

Here's the link for the info on the subs:

Sub info

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2005/500/h500SWR1242-o_cone-1.jpeg
(http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UK7Q1cJKIMQ/cgi-bin/Prodview.asp?readmore=true&search=swr%2D1242d&i=500SWR1242#Tab)

Anyone else running subs?

Evan
07-18-2006, 04:35 PM
Crutchfield is so expensive.. I see these for $100 on eBay.. new in box

angrypancake
07-18-2006, 04:36 PM
I'm running two JLw0 with a kicker amp, they are troopers. those alpines look good though.

saj3n
07-18-2006, 04:36 PM
Crutchfield is so expensive.. I see these for $100 on eBay.. new in box

Yea, they usually go up from that price, I picked mine up on ebay :-D. The crutchfield site just has better info/pics. Total, with next day shipping, I stole them for $220, for the pair

saj3n
07-18-2006, 04:41 PM
I'm running two JLw0 with a kicker amp, they are troopers. those alpines look good though.

Nice...

Yea, I'm shopping for an amp now. I'd want to push at max RMS, so 500 watts to each sub. I'm pretty sure I'll have to dynamat the trunk . I had 2 Pioneers running in my 89 a few years back, at about 200 watts each, and not only did it rattle my entire house, trunk shook like crazy. I can only imagine how much harder these will hit. So if you happen to come across a amp 1000 watts x1 @ 4ohms, for a reasonable price, let me know! :-D

angrypancake
07-18-2006, 04:45 PM
I'll look around for you. You might want to look into Elemental Designs, but idk if they make 1000x1@4ohms. Uh yeah my JL's are only like 400rms for both, and my trunk rattle is downright awful. Now that I have the wing on its even worse. Not like I really care cause inside sounds amazing. Good luck with it.

saj3n
07-18-2006, 04:47 PM
I'll look around for you. You might want to look into Elemental Designs, but idk if they make 1000x1@4ohms. Uh yeah my JL's are only like 400rms for both, and my trunk rattle is downright awful. Now that I have the wing on its even worse. Not like I really care cause inside sounds amazing. Good luck with it.

Thanks! Yea, I can't wait till I hear how these sound. Might even get professionally installed, just to make sure everything is hooked up to have the maximum sound potential. I'm not trying to go and win sound contests or anything, just want that great sound, and ability to totally drown out the radio of the driver next to me, if a song comes on I don't like.

gmannino
07-18-2006, 06:24 PM
Can never go wrong with alpine stuff. My personal favorite subwoofers are digital designs. www.ddaudio.com

saj3n
07-18-2006, 08:28 PM
Can never go wrong with alpine stuff. My personal favorite subwoofers are digital designs. www.ddaudio.com

How well do the ddaudio subs hit? I've actually never heard of them before.

Johntee540
07-18-2006, 09:41 PM
Those are the subs I am running in my car. They sound great. I am running the Alpine amps V12 as well. Check my cardomain site for pics - JT

Johntee540
07-18-2006, 09:44 PM
I lied - I thought I had pics up. I will get some there in the next day or so - JT

530iNoir
07-18-2006, 10:12 PM
Coincidentally, I just auditioned the type R, and they Hit hard, as well as pushed out some sweet base notes Clear, and powerful. I am slowly upgrading my system, and the Type R for the money are in the running. I have been looking at Diamond Audio, JL audio, Resonate Engineering, and MB Quart-- by the way, did you remove the "ski Hole" in your to improve base response in the Cabin?

saj3n
07-18-2006, 10:54 PM
Coincidentally, I just auditioned the type R, and they Hit hard, as well as pushed out some sweet base notes Clear, and powerful. I am slowly upgrading my system, and the Type R for the money are in the running. I have been looking at Diamond Audio, JL audio, Resonate Engineering, and MB Quart-- by the way, did you remove the "ski Hole" in your to improve base response in the Cabin?

Were the subs selling from NJ?

saj3n
07-18-2006, 10:57 PM
I lied - I thought I had pics up. I will get some there in the next day or so - JT

I was expecting the pics too!! Love the front racing dynamics strut...And radar install giving me ideas...

Johntee540
07-20-2006, 06:23 AM
I removed the ski hole and also drilled some door knob sized holes in a honey comb pattern in front of the subs - behind the rear seat. I am also running the MB Quart Speakers. Wish I had the Boston Acoustic Pro Series Like I have in my Landcruiser. But they just didnt have anything that would work with the install I did in the BMW.

neil_004
07-20-2006, 07:28 AM
I'm running a sony 10 and a kenwood 12 in a sealed custom box that opens into the pass through. Only running 550W but it is more than loud enough for me. No trunk rattle and you can hardly tell if i have them on if you are outside the car(keeps the neighbors happy).