PDA

View Full Version : Bill R, can the on the car FI rail cleanings resolve a leaking injector?

ryan roopnarine
07-17-2006, 05:13 PM
I don't know if that kind of apparatus to do the same kind of good as an off the car service. i am almost certain that one (or more) of my injectors is leaking fuel, as my oil is getting diluted enough by 2000 miles to reduce fuel economy about 1 mpg. it is always possible that it could be the FPR, but it doesn't really look like that to me. i don't have the time to take the car off-line to send my injectors away. thanks.

Bill R.
07-17-2006, 05:41 PM
run more than one can of bg fuel injector cleaner through the rails. Usually one can will just start to solve the problem. Some cars take 2 and even 3 cans. It seems to be a problem with newer gm products that have injectors leaking down and multiple cylinder misfire codes. A couple of cans of cleaner through the rail and now more injectors leaking down.

I don't know if that kind of apparatus to do the same kind of good as an off the car service. i am almost certain that one (or more) of my injectors is leaking fuel, as my oil is getting diluted enough by 2000 miles to reduce fuel economy about 1 mpg. it is always possible that it could be the FPR, but it doesn't really look like that to me. i don't have the time to take the car off-line to send my injectors away. thanks.

ryan roopnarine
07-17-2006, 05:51 PM
yeeeahhh, incidentally, i was going to ask you about gm products and this subject, if you'd care to comment. car in question is 2001 chevy impala. the intake manifold gasket (3.4l) went, and, i guess, sucked a bit of coolant. the first oil change after the gasket replacement had some metal in it, but that went away. the car was a fleet vehicle, in the same owner's possession, which he had the oil changed on by the oil life monitor. i found a good deal of sludge and carbon in the oil, and started changing it every 300-600 miles to get it out. i thought that the (mess) was a result of the coolant, but i noticed that the oil was starting to stink of gasoline when changing it at short intervals. I suspect that maybe leaking injectors, combined with 6000 mile oil changes, is the actual cause. car runs great, almost no ping, about 20 mpg with the a/c on in stop and go driving. at most, the car needs spark plugs. is this a vehicle that might have hereditary fuel injector problems? i wouldn't care if it weren't for the fact that my mother drives this vehicle instead of the taurus now. thanks for the other answer. it looks like i might need to pick up one of the OTC units from ebay.

Bill R.
07-17-2006, 05:55 PM
random cylinder misfires or multiple cylinder misfires. Its almost always plugged up or partially stuck open injectors.

yeeeahhh, incidentally, i was going to ask you about gm products and this subject, if you'd care to comment. car in question is 2001 chevy impala. the intake manifold gasket (3.4l) went, and, i guess, sucked a bit of coolant. the first oil change after the gasket replacement had some metal in it, but that went away. the car was a fleet vehicle, in the same owner's possession, which he had the oil changed on by the oil life monitor. i found a good deal of sludge and carbon in the oil, and started changing it every 300-600 miles to get it out. i thought that the (mess) was a result of the coolant, but i noticed that the oil was starting to stink of gasoline when changing it at short intervals, suspect that maybe injectors, combined with 6000 mile oil changes, is the actual cause. car runs great, almost no ping, about 20 mpg with the a/c on in stop and go driving. at most, the car needs spark plugs. is this a vehicle that might have hereditary fuel injector problems? i wouldn't care if it weren't for the fact that my mother drives this vehicle instead of the taurus now. thanks for the other answer. it looks like i might need to pick up one of the OTC units from ebay.

ryan roopnarine
07-17-2006, 06:04 PM
thanks.