PDA

View Full Version : Passenger airbag deactivation in '95 525iT

KühlWasserStand
07-16-2006, 05:26 PM
Hi All,
Any idea whether it's possible to deactivate the passenger side airbag on a '95 525i Touring? I can't find a switch or any reference to one in the owner's manual, is this something that could be retro-fitted?

The reason I ask is we have a pair of rear facing 'Group 0+' car seats for the twins, and it'd be nice to have the option of putting one in the front seat but with an airbag that's not safe, as a child in this type of car seat can be seriously injoured in the event of an airbag deployment from behind.

Many thanks,
Pete.

joshua43214
07-16-2006, 05:44 PM
I don't think the e34 ever had the option to turn off the passenger side airbag via a switch, and I can't remember if it can be reprogramed to be off all the time. There is a bunch of regulations about passenger side airbag deactivation, I think it comes down to only pick ups unless you have some overwhelming need to have it off.

Alexlind123
07-16-2006, 05:46 PM
you might be able to simply unplug it.

gtopaul
07-16-2006, 08:07 PM
Hi All,
Any idea whether it's possible to deactivate the passenger side airbag on a '95 525i Touring? I can't find a switch or any reference to one in the owner's manual, is this something that could be retro-fitted?

The reason I ask is we have a pair of rear facing 'Group 0+' car seats for the twins, and it'd be nice to have the option of putting one in the front seat but with an airbag that's not safe, as a child in this type of car seat can be seriously injoured in the event of an airbag deployment from behind.

Many thanks,
Pete.

Pete I wouldn't alter the airbag system and I sure wouldn't put the kids up front if they're small enough to require a baby seat. You're risking an insurance problem if you have an accident (airbag system altered) and it's actually illegal in some states for small children to be strapped in the front. At my dealership we won't install child seats in the front, even when the customer wants it so, because of the liability. I'd say check your local laws first.

Paul

KühlWasserStand
07-17-2006, 02:10 AM
it's actually illegal in some states for small children to be strapped in the front. At my dealership we won't install child seats in the front, even when the customer wants it so, because of the liability. I'd say check your local laws first.

Im pretty sure it's legal here in Spain, and IMHO a lot more enjoyable for baby and parent if they can make eye contact during a car journey. I wouldn't leave the airbag disconnected either, just install a passenger airbag/baby seat overide switch like those available on most new cars here in Europe, where we don't have a 'nanny state', yet :P

winfred
07-17-2006, 07:47 AM
you'd need to unplug it and would have a srs light till the system was reset,

Bill R.
07-17-2006, 08:06 AM
them absolving the dealer and bmw of any responsibility then they can disconnect the bag and recode the system so that its still functional on the drivers side. There's a factory service bulletin out about it. Not a lot of dealers are going to want to do this though, since even if you do sign the statement clearing them , they know how sue happy Americans are if something does happen. Here in my town you'll find very few dealers willing to disable a airbag regardlless of what the factory says.

you'd need to unplug it and would have a srs light till the system was reset,

winfred
07-17-2006, 11:38 AM
out of 6 bag cars i've owned only one didn't get dissabled 87 300sdl wasn't going to keep it, i wear my belt and don't want that bomb in my face, besides the bag wheel is hideous i feel like i am driving a bumper car

them absolving the dealer and bmw of any responsibility then they can disconnect the bag and recode the system so that its still functional on the drivers side. There's a factory service bulletin out about it. Not a lot of dealers are going to want to do this though, since even if you do sign the statement clearing them , they know how sue happy Americans are if something does happen. Here in my town you'll find very few dealers willing to disable a airbag regardlless of what the factory says.

KühlWasserStand
07-17-2006, 03:53 PM
Ok, so is it possible to disconnect only the passenger side airbag (by unpluging it)? Or does this effect the rest of the airbag system which then needs to be recoded?

What I'm getting at is: Is this something I can do at home or not?

Thanks for all the input and advice so far.

Pete.