PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone, new car

txp135
07-16-2006, 01:52 PM
Hi I just bought a 1995 540i 6sp and I want to start working on my own cars. I need some suggestions...

Tools: some recommendation as where to buy a nice kit that's affordable. Any special tools I will need frequently. What kind of Jacks do you recommend?

I need these right away to change the front wheel bearings, tune up(spark plugs, fluids, belts).

Head light: Left low beam burned out. Anyone has recommendation of which brand to buy? I can't seem to find any info on the exact part number, it seems like the bulb is universal?

Wheel bearings: I found the instructions and parts # at the link below....

www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/suspension/wheelbearing.htm

but I can't find any info about which brand I should buy. Any suggestion of an online vendor that has good prices?

Thanks...

nuclearfusion
07-16-2006, 04:29 PM
First, get an E34 Bentley manual. It's indispensable for working on your own BMW.

A good source for tools and parts is Steve D'Gerolamo at www.ultimategarage.com. He has been doing custom workshops for many years and is a premium source for BMW parts as well. He'll set you pretty straight about tools, parts, etc. and his prices are fair too.

There are many other good sources as well (BMA comes to mind for the parts) and I have no affiliation with ultimategarage except as a satisfied customer.

Enjoy!

Fusion

txp135
07-16-2006, 05:02 PM
Thanks, I will check that out. I downloaded a Bentley service manual and will use that for now. I'm thinking about buying a hard copy when budget allows.

joshua43214
07-16-2006, 05:39 PM
The only ting I would add to those well done instructions is when you go to tighten the axle nut, turn the hub slowly as you tighten the nut down until its very snug, then mount the wheel and torque.

FAG make an excellent bearing and it may even be OE, but I can't remember.

Buy the exact same bulb that is on the other side, if its not available buy a new one for both sides. I hate anything GE so I would recomend Sylvania, but it probably doesn't matter.

A basic tool kit from Craftsman will have most every thing you need, I recomend a set that favors 1/4" and 3/8" stuff, then add the 1/2 as you need it.

boardburton
07-16-2006, 08:39 PM
I would get 2 Sylvania Silverstars. They're worth the difference and you can just replace the old bulbs.

saj3n
07-16-2006, 08:52 PM
I would get 2 Sylvania Silverstars. They're worth the difference and you can just replace the old bulbs.

I actually bought the Silverstars and they are GREAT! I would also recommend doing the more light upgrade http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/more_light.htm
It really does make a huge difference

BillionPa
07-16-2006, 08:54 PM
indeed, replace the bulbs in pairs.

for wheel hubs, get SKF or FAG, may as well get new lug nuts while you are at it, and dont forget the interior and exterior dust caps and the giant nut.

plugs: i love my denso iridium plugs, they are expensive, buy i think they are worth it (and they last a long ass time too)

belts, contitech, really easy

fluids, a 0W40 or 5W40 HD oil is good for the M60, but do a thread search regarding the pump bolts before you start. M1 doesnt feel good, but lubro-moly and redline make the engine sound a lot nicer (all the moly!)

coolant: the SAAB dealer sells the same coolant as BMW, but for about $7 less per gallon.

transmission, go with Redline for whatever is supposed to be in there

diff fluid, Redline or Lubro-Moly gear oil

power steering fluid, whatever it says on the cap, probably CHF-11s hydraulic fluid

for various filter, go with OEM (mahle and mann) unless you want a performance air filter, then anything but K&N (the oil messes with the MAF sensor). ITG is a good choice.

if you are doing the wheel hubs for sure, consider new rotors, since they probably have lots of rust where they meet the hub.

txp135
07-16-2006, 09:06 PM
Thank you so much, those are the kind of responses I needed! Does anyone have a picture of the 95 540i stock headlights? I need to make sure that the car still have stock lights because the car had some modifications done to it. And since the "More Light" DIY mentioned Ellipsoid. what does that mean?

Do you guys own AC Hydraulics jacks? They are expensive for me! Is it worth it to get one if I'm planning to do tune ups on 4 vehicles (my bmw, 00 Avalon, 00 Camry v6, 02 Sienna), bmw front wheel bearings, ATF flush... If so, how many jack stands do you recommend?

SchnellE34
07-16-2006, 09:22 PM
I actually bought the Silverstars and they are GREAT! I would also recommend doing the more light upgrade http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/more_light.htm
It really does make a huge difference

Indeed, I would suggest buying the silverstar's for your highbeams, then modify your stock high beam bulbs to fit the low beam sockets.

txp135
07-16-2006, 09:56 PM
Indeed, I would suggest buying the silverstar's for your highbeams, then modify your stock high beam bulbs to fit the low beam sockets.

Thank you.

About the Wheel Bearings, do you normally change both sides? or just 1? It looks like $140+ hardware for each side!

632 Regal
07-16-2006, 11:34 PM

Why? may as well get new lug nuts while you are at it

WTF? fluids, a 0W40 or 5W40 HD oil is good for the M60, but do a thread search regarding the pump bolts before you start. M1 doesnt feel good, but lubro-moly and redline make the engine sound a lot nicer (all the moly!)

another WTF???coolant: the SAAB dealer sells the same coolant as BMW, but for about $7 less per gallon.

WTF????transmission, go with Redline for whatever is supposed to be in there

ever heard of synthetic? diff fluid, Redline or Lubro-Moly gear oil

sandpaper? wire wheel? another serious WTF? if you are doing the wheel hubs for sure, consider new rotors, since they probably have lots of rust where they meet the hub..

BillionPa
07-17-2006, 03:17 AM
why new lug nuts? to match the shiny new hub of course! when i changed my lugnuts they were ugly rusty at the part where they meet the hub threads.

M60 engines tend to run hotter than most other engines, due to the 95C thermostat specd for them. 40wt oil is a better viscosity match for them than 30wt oils, and HD 40wt oil has 50wt film strength for added protection.

yes SAAB coolant is identical to BMW blue coolant. and here, the SAAB dealer says the "normal" price is the $12 i got it for, whereas the BMW dealer says the "normal" price is the $20 they sell it for.

why the other crap? they are recommendations from an E34 owner, not me telling him what to do. and he was asking about fluids, so thats why theres a lot of crap about fluids there heh.

why new rotors? if they arent badly rusted, he probably isnt gonna replace them. When i cleaned my rear hubs of rust, the new rotor fit flush, but not nearly as nice as the new front hub fit to the new rotor.

the suggestions i make will automatically assume that the person looking for them is generally looking for a "better than OEM" product in the same price range, or cheaper, however i will make suggestions for more expensive products that I believe are worth the expensve over OEM.

BillionPa
07-17-2006, 03:19 AM
oh im also very vry tired, the above post took much longer than it should while i spell checked it and tried to do grammar checks, but i cant tell of i was good at it. O_o

632 Regal
07-17-2006, 08:47 AM
it did the job ;)
oh im also very vry tired, the above post took much longer than it should while i spell checked it and tried to do grammar checks, but i cant tell of i was good at it. O_o

txp135
07-17-2006, 11:16 AM
thanks, so is it normal practice (or recommended/required) to change both front bearings?

BillionPa
07-17-2006, 03:21 PM
yes

txp135
07-18-2006, 09:46 PM
having trouble locating oem front wheel bearings online. Any recommendations other than going to the stealership?