PDA

View Full Version : Review: Bilstein Sport shocks, E34

s_ribbens
07-16-2006, 10:19 AM
With the recent thread on KYB's and their comparison to other shocks on the market I felt a review of my recently installed Biltein Sports would be helpful. For quick reference- these were installed on a '89 535i with stock springs.

FWIW, I purchased these through BavAuto (cheaper than my cost through my shop with their current sale pricing!). $403 shipped for all four.

Install was very easy and straight-forward. The directions that come with them stink though. Most of it is obvious, but I wish they gave more specifics on the rear shock lower perch mount. I installed them at the height they came set as and hoped it was right (which it was).

I would like to compare these shocks to a new, stock set-up at some point for comparison sake since I'm coming from the most blown shocks I (or anyone at the shop) has ever seen. Zero rebound from front or rear, and the fronts could be moved up and down with VERY little resistance. Yikes!

Comfort/drivability- How anyone could possibly think these shocks are harsh or too stiff is beyond me. Roads are not great around here so you will feel discrepencies if your suspension isn't the best. Regardless of what I drove over, the shocks do a wonderful job with complacency. Rough rail road tracks are barely felt and rough joints on the freeway are neglegible.

Performance- As soon as I left the shop to head home I was thrilled to pass cars around a sweeping two-lane on ramp! I am always very pleased with the suprising agility of the 5-series; these shocks help it even more. Body roll is as neglegible as you can expect from a car this heavy (with this much comfort most importantly). I do feel that the chasis could use a bit of added stiffness. But, I have to keep reminding myself that this isn't my race car and there are some trade-off's to keep the comfort that my other car does not have.

Eibach or H&R springs will be added later on for a little better performance, but mostly for looks.

632 Regal
07-16-2006, 12:02 PM
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=15215&highlight=bilstein+sports

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=21794&highlight=bilstein+sports

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=21126&highlight=bilstein+sports

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=12167&highlight=bilsteins

Incantation
07-16-2006, 12:24 PM
are you on stock springs then?

Alexlind123
07-16-2006, 01:43 PM
are you on stock springs then?

You might want to take the time to actually read the post before you ask pointless questions.

mholbrook
07-16-2006, 05:40 PM
Once you put on the lowered springs, you'll know the difference. Try a car with Koni's and you'll know the difference. I have Bilstein HD with stock springs and I can fell the Bilstein harshness that you never feel with a Koni. There is a difference. I cannot comment on KYB in a BMW application.

Alexlind123
07-16-2006, 05:47 PM
I have bilsteins all around, and the ride is firm.

632 Regal
07-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Comfort/drivability- How anyone could possibly think these shocks are harsh or too stiff is beyond me. Regardless of what I drove over, the shocks do a wonderful job with complacency. Rough rail road tracks are barely felt and rough joints on the freeway are neglegible.

I have bilsteins all around, and the ride is firm.

Alexlind123
07-16-2006, 07:32 PM

He is using stock springs, i am using shorter and stiffer springs.

NY535iManual
07-16-2006, 08:29 PM
I have the Bilstein Sport/H&R combo, and they're pretty great - bounce & jounce are just about spot on. Roads in and around NYC are pretty bad, and I find the Billies work v. well. That said, I haven't figured out what I want to do on the sway bars, so my opinion could change depending on what I end up with on the bars.

Also, I fully agree on the quality of the Bilstein instructions - As you did, I just sort of had to hope/assume that ther perches were positioned correctly as they came out of the box.

wingman
07-17-2006, 04:54 AM
Thanks for posting this as I'm in the market at the moment. I wonder if the sports will be too stiff for my lighter 525i???

s_ribbens
07-17-2006, 07:00 AM
So?

s_ribbens
07-17-2006, 07:01 AM
I don't think it's that much lighter so I doubt you would feel any significant difference.

genphreak
07-17-2006, 07:25 AM
I don't think it's that much lighter so I doubt you would feel any significant difference.the shocks for the 520 and 525 are common I think, but the 535 and 540 are both specific to the car. There is a bit of extra weight, but its the front/rear ratio that BMW care most about. For this they fit different springs to practically every variant.

With Billie HDs & Sports, the 540 does not have the adjustable circlip on the body for positioning the spring perch.

What position did you use btw?

I would expect that they (in most cases) fit different shocks to go with them. :) Nick

s_ribbens
07-17-2006, 08:54 AM
What position did you use btw?

The middle position as they came pre-set.

genphreak
07-17-2006, 09:01 AM
The middle position as they came pre-set.Sweet. Any chance of measuring the height from the ground to the edge of your doors? If we all do this on our cars at the back of the rear door and the front of the front one, we could get an idea of what does what. You have a spring/shock combo that (once settled) would be quite interesting to document in a little list I am putting together on the subject... :) would appreciate that if you can manage it in a few days time? :) Nick

s_ribbens
07-17-2006, 09:07 AM
I certainly will. I think that measuring from the center of the wheel to the fender would be a better way though. I'm not clear on what part of the door I would be measuring too. If you prefer that way then elaborate more please and I'll comply.

632 Regal
07-17-2006, 09:10 AM
H&R Sachs ft Bilshit sport rears.

rear door 10¾"
ft door 10"

genphreak
07-17-2006, 09:50 AM
H&R Sachs ft Bilshit sport rears.

rear door 10¾"
ft door 10"Schweet Jeff. Thanks, mate.

I wonder who else could be tempted to contribute?

genphreak
07-17-2006, 09:52 AM
I certainly will. I think that measuring from the center of the wheel to the fender would be a better way though. I'm not clear on what part of the door I would be measuring too. If you prefer that way then elaborate more please and I'll comply.That's the BMW way indeed. Will be fine by me. Damn Jeff just measured his the other way though...

632 Regal
07-17-2006, 10:08 AM
who knows, I'm gonna see if I can measure the mail truck before the mail chick gets back from next door...

Schweet Jeff. Thanks, mate.

I wonder who else could be tempted to contribute?

632 Regal
07-17-2006, 10:12 AM
not sure exactly what she said but i'm pretty sure she is impressed with me. :D

genphreak
07-17-2006, 10:13 AM
who knows, I'm gonna see if I can measure the mail truck before the mail chick gets back from next door...You get mail delivered via e34 over there Jeff? Now that'd be reliable mail delivery...

632 Regal
07-17-2006, 10:15 AM
Lol, no... just figured Id get a measurement if I could from the mail chicks jeep. I know she likes me cause she tries to hide a smile as she grabs the mace...

genphreak
07-17-2006, 10:22 AM
Lol, no... just figured Id get a measurement if I could from the mail chicks jeep. I know she likes me cause she tries to hide a smile as she grabs the mace...You mean she got back inside by the time you got to the car? :D

So long as she doesn't spray the mail with it!